Zebra Light SC52 Not exactly water proof. What gives?

b30nepi

Newly Enlightened
Received my SC52 today. It's soaking in a glass of water as I type. Tint looks a bit on the green side, I can live with that. Do Zebralight usually ship their lights with the free alkaline battery installed? Mine was already in the the light, makes me wonder if it was a 'send back' on the account of the greenish tint. Hmmmm.

Anyway time for the drum roll.........aaaaand it appears to be watertight :party:

That is good news that yours passed the water test. I just ordered the SC52W. This will be my first zebralight, and I was beginning to get nervous after reading different water issues that some zebralight owners have had. Although I will not be swimming or diving with my light, I do want to feel confident I can use it during a storm. Is anyone one familiar if the electronic push button on the SC52W is also sealed by press fitting?

SYKO

Newly Enlightened
Is the SC600 mk II L2 a press fit head or screw on? Now I'm going to be wondering if it will be ok with water.:confused:

b30nepi

Newly Enlightened
I just received my SC52W. I could not resist to try a cup of water test. I was scared. IT PASSED. I dropped the light while on high (with an eneloop battery in a glass of slightly cooler than room temperature water for only about 5-8 seconds. I know that is a very short time, however everything stayed perfectly dry. That is good enough for me as I wont be swimming or diving with it.

Ofccdave

Newly Enlightened
I have chucked two fenix tk11 lights in my hot tub while on (both the light and the hot tub jets) and no problem. Cup of water? Puh-leez

Light Mage

Newly Enlightened
Me and my daughter have a sc52 and have taken it in the pool for extended time and neither of them have had any leaking my guess is you got a bad light. Sounds like it needs to be returned, just chalk it up to bad luck.

Popper252

Newly Enlightened
Yup. Illumination Supply took care of me and issued a full refund.

You would think I learned my lesson but I have a ZL H52w scheduled for delivery on Monday :) We'll see how that one hold up!

Patriot

Flashaholic
For clarity's sake I turned the lights on and then submerged them in a 12 oz cup of tap water. Once they were in there I didn't touch them other than to check for any leaks and to make sure temps were fine.

I think this is THE key piece of information buried within the clutter.

All of this IPX rating discussion is very interesting and educational but was initiated out of speculation. In context, it's a sidetrack given the OP's particular experience. He didn't operate the light, other than to have it activated before it went into the water. Likewise, the water ingress issue is well associated to Zebralight, with several examples having only been rained on.

Pressed bezels are inherently and historically inconsistent concerning water resistance, the Nitecore Explorer series being another recent example. In light of all of this, I think it's very assumptive for anyone to suggest that significant numbers of Zebralight have been gratuitously replaced under warranty. The later IP ratings are fairly ambiguous leaving a certain responsibility of description to the maker. If the manufacturer gives the impression that a light is safe within a specified depth but then doesn't describe the type of use or non-use within that depth and the light then leaks, guess who's going to eat the replacement. It's probably safe to assume that the manufacturers anticipate the user's expectations (based on their own advertising) and typically exceed the assigned ratings. I've witnessed this is my own water resistance tests, many of which are on video, where I operate the UI aggressively underwater. Keeping in mind that the IP ratings are typically exceeded by manufacturers, actual water ingress can probably be chalked up to a construction inconsistency which the manufacturer did not intend.

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the SC600 mk II L2 a press fit head or screw on? Now I'm going to be wondering if it will be ok with water.:confused:

Buy it, test it to your needs, and if it fails, send it back. I have submerged both my SC52 and my SC600 Mk II, and turned them on and off a bunch of times while underwater. No problem at all. If it can do that, it can do anything I will ask of it in real world use. It isn't a dive light, but "normal" stuff like dropping in a puddle, or rainfall, or getting covered in snow, is obviously OK. To me this is standard...I don't depend on a light until I test it out, and if one light can do it, it seems clear that others should be able to do it also. If it can't, I think it is reasonable to call the light defective, and therefore on Zebralight to offer a replacement, even if the IPX8 claim doesn't imply it is necessary for them to do so.

LEDburn

Enlightened
+1.
anyone?
it looks a screw on...

Really?
..you own the light and are asking us??

If it really is that hard to tell, I'll make your life easier; it is press fit, like EVERY other current ZL offering..

As for water ingress, I think it is safe to say it was an issue limited to a few defective units. If it was really widespread or common there would be A LOT more literature on it than there is. I would be willing to bet that 9/10 people posting about a leaking ZL have not had the issue themselves and are just referencing another incident.

I own 9 Zebra's and not one leaks. Before they are designated "keepers" a half hour submersion test on high is conducted. I will cycle the light on and off whilst submerged and not one has ever had any evidence of moisture entering the battery compartment or head..

..this is especially important for my SC52 and SC600 purchases as I like to grind off the lanyard attachment point on the SC600 and where the clip screws to on the SC52 is a bit sharp without the clip so also like to do a bit of grinding in that area to make them more ergonomic ;)