Zebralight H51

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Re: Zebralight H51 details/preorder!!!

Below are all cached posts from November 2 2010 through to the end of February 2011.
This represents original posts sequentially from #380 - 545.
No information was lost in this thread when the lights went out at CPF.

Written by davidt1 on 11-02-2010 12:58 PM GMT

Shorty66 said:
Mine just came in too :)

It`s a lot bigger than i thought, yet not bulky. Its still a small flashlight for the battery but its about half way in size between my h501 and my h60.

p1030719a.jpg

Beamshots will follow when i have my batterys charged (didn`t expect the light that fast).

Comparison beamshots H501/H51:

All Beamshots f2.8, distance to wall: 20cm.

Left: 1/100s Right: 1/50s

High/H1
http://img826.imageshack.us/i/h28100.jpg/
http://img9.imageshack.us/i/h2850.jpg/

Medium/M1
http://img811.imageshack.us/i/m28100.jpg/
http://img193.imageshack.us/i/m2850.jpg/

Low/L1
http://img710.imageshack.us/i/l28100.jpg/

l2850.th.jpg

The sidespill of the H51 on H2 Mode is quite similar in Brightness to the H501 on High:

h22850.jpg
Love the size comparison picture. While a little bigger than H501, it's still small for me. I hope the H51F will be same size or smaller. Love the size comparison picture. While a little bigger than H501, it's still small for me. I hope the H51F will be same size or smaller.

Written by Frorath on 11-04-2010 05:07 AM GMT

batterylife in the h51 is far to short. I wish zl could make a 18650 version. but the again one could check out the spark st6-320 more light better runtime.

Written by davidt1 on 11-04-2010 08:39 AM GMT

Ian2381 said:
I just have a real time use of my H51 last weekend in our beach camping.

It's really bright.
Such brightness from a small single AA light is impressive. That's good to hear. Sounds like you had a good time. Such brightness from a small single AA light is impressive. That's good to hear. Sounds like you had a good time.

Written by swxb12 on 11-06-2010 06:43 AM GMT

Does anyone know when the H51 is expected to be back in-stock?

Really liking that new set of high modes, if the memory function is rock solid.

Written by swxb12 on 11-06-2010 11:34 PM GMT

swxb12 said:
Does anyone know when the H51 is expected to be back in-stock?
In about two weeks, according to Lillian@Zebralight. W00t! In about two weeks, according to Lillian@Zebralight. W00t!

Written by flasherByNight on 11-10-2010 02:00 PM GMT

swxb12 said:
In about two weeks, according to Lillian@Zebralight. W00t!
You should probably know that "about two weeks" seems to be the standard answer from ZL You should probably know that "about two weeks" seems to be the standard answer from ZL :sick2:

Written by CraigF on 11-10-2010 03:07 PM GMT

I am rather impressed with the H51 so far. Got it less than a week ago... I made a neck lanyard (for EDC) using a short length of paracord, a breakaway fastener at the neck end, and the pocket clip. This has turned out to be an incredibly useful and handy method of carry, very low profile and easy to hide too.

I am a bit confused with setting the second level of H2, and changing it once set. I guess I don't get the exact clicking sequence, so wouldn't mind a *very* :) basic click sequence description, if anybody has it (thanks). It does work though, as right now I have the H2 as strobe...somehow I did that... Edit: I was counting the clicks wrong to get into the H2 modes...it's easy to set once I figured that out.

Written by Freedom1955 on 11-17-2010 02:32 PM GMT

flasherByNight said:
You should probably know that "about two weeks" seems to be the standard answer from ZL :sick2:
What does "about two weeks" mean in "real" time? What does "about two weeks" mean in "real" time? :tired:

Written by flasherByNight on 11-17-2010 06:46 PM GMT

Freedom1955 said:
What does "about two weeks" mean in "real" time? :tired:
="coming soon" ="coming soon" :duh2:

Written by flasherByNight on 11-17-2010 06:47 PM GMT

honestly I kind of find it hilarious at this point...

Written by Tuikku on 11-18-2010 04:12 PM GMT

Hkequipment was out of stock with H51 but now they informed, that they have it again.

Ordered 3 for christmas presents :)

Last edited:

JA(me)S

Enlightened

Zebralight H51Re: Zebralight H51 details/preorder!!!
Written by Mikellen on 12-17-2010 08:30 AM GMT

I noticed the H51W is expected to be available January 7th. It will have a new clip design.

The LED is described as: LED: Cree XP-G Cool White (color temperature 4200K).

I wonder why it isn't described as XP-G neutral white with color temperature 4200K?

Written by ZFlash on 12-17-2010 02:00 PM GMT

Dunno! Mine H51 is still on the way to europe or on it's prolonging way through the customs. Does "new clip design" mean a totally different body design?

Did I stupidflashlightaddictedidiot clicked too early again?! ...Like with my first batch NDI model which is so much impressed by li-ion that it stopped working reliable even on eneloops - don't mind the panic beacon mode on 144500'er....

Written by motohooligan on 12-17-2010 04:04 PM GMT

Placed my pre-order for the H51 Neutral today.

It doesn't look like a new body design... Maybe Zebralight will offer the clips separate for the regular H51.

ETA: On a second look, there might be an additional ridge on the newer lights, but it looks like the new clip would still fit the original H51.

Written by damn_hammer on 12-17-2010 07:23 PM GMT

When I pre-ordered the H51w this morning I asked about whether the new clip would fit my H501. The response:

"... the clip won't fit anything other than the new H51 and its variants (H51F, H51w, H51Fw)."

So it sounds promising that these will fit the H51. If you can manage to get one from ZL.

Written by davidt1 on 12-17-2010 08:26 PM GMT

I think I am going to order one. It's gonna to be my first XP-G and neutral white light. My Maratac aaa has a slightly yellowish tint, and I prefer that to the snow white H501. Hoping I am making the right decision regarding tint here.

Written by Belstaff1464 on 12-17-2010 08:32 PM GMT

Mikellen said:
I noticed the H51W is expected to be available January 7th. It will have a new clip design.

The LED is described as: LED: Cree XP-G Cool White (color temperature 4200K).

I wonder why it isn't described as XP-G neutral white with color temperature 4200K?

FYI - there's a couple of H51 on eBay atm for those that can't wait.

Written by ZFlash on 12-18-2010 06:21 AM GMT

I'm playing with my H51 since half an hour and it's the new model - the body of the H51F. I'm totally satisfied with that fact!

Haven't found out how to activate the third mode strobe yet - only once after clicking like mad .-)

Written by davidt1 on 12-18-2010 10:10 AM GMT

ZFlash said:
I'm playing with my H51 since half an hour and it's the new model - the body of the H51F. I'm totally satisfied with that fact!

Haven't found out how to activate the third mode strobe yet - only once after clicking like mad .-)
I think Zebralight over did it with the double clicking six times to access the extra modes. I think double clicking twice would be plenty. I think Zebralight over did it with the double clicking six times to access the extra modes. I think double clicking twice would be plenty.

Written by ZFlash on 12-19-2010 04:39 PM GMT

The strobe is still there and can be configured as second high level. Then the light goes on max brightness in 3rd mode and with double click to strobe.

Imo all the predefined levels are very well spaced and I can't get it out of my hands playing around with it. I really don't regret buying this extreme versatile and well made lamp!

Written by Redheddedstranger on 12-20-2010 06:57 AM GMT

ok guys now that you have had to play with these things what do you really think? feel quality? some still having issues with ZL's quality? what about water resistance? feel like it could really take a dunk or perhaps just worn in a bad Tstorm?? i need one that is pretty weather resistant. thanks guys

Written by ZFlash on 12-20-2010 09:32 AM GMT

Really has touch and feel of a quality flashlight. Anodized thread(s) of the cap is well machined and running smooth after treating with Krytox gpl205 like all of my flashlights. The user interface is after a short learning phase like genius for a three mode flashlight: Instant access to low and high from off, ramping from low to high and easy double clicking to adapt every mode to different conditions. All very intuitive with only one button.

Did I said that I really like it????!?

So much that I won't try a extreme dunk test for checking the reliabilty...

For quality touch and feel I would put it in the same league with Nitecore, Solarforce L2p HaIII and some Fenix.

For the versatility of the lamp design, user interface and the look and feel that it's really well made (can't tell more only after a few days) I'd really recommend buying it!

Written by davidt1 on 12-23-2010 11:48 AM GMT

The H51w looks to be v3 of the H51. Hopefully, all the fixes, refinements, etc. will be built into the new H51w. I will pre-order one (any day now).

Written by viix on 12-26-2010 11:29 PM GMT

Nice! I just got shipping notification from zebralight on the h51w from china to me in Asia!

Written by damn_hammer on 12-27-2010 06:32 AM GMT

Yes, just got my H51w ship notice also ... just after midnight. Will take a little while longer to get to N. America however.

Written by westfork on 12-27-2010 07:57 AM GMT

damn_hammer said:
Yes, just got my H51w ship notice also ... just after midnight. Will take a little while longer to get to N. America however.
Yep, an H51w on its way. At least for U.S. customers these ship from Texas so it should be here in a couple days. Now when will that H51Fw be available? Yep, an H51w on its way. At least for U.S. customers these ship from Texas so it should be here in a couple days. Now when will that H51Fw be available?

OK, checked the tracking number and this may be coming directly from China this time.

Written by davidt1 on 12-27-2010 08:47 AM GMT

I gave in and just ordered one. Had to pay over $5 in state sales tax because I am in TX. Not happy because I didn't have to pay this sale tax before on my H501.

Written by davidt1 on 12-31-2010 09:28 AM GMT

My H51w is sitting in US custom now!

Written by dracodoc on 01-01-2011 04:11 PM GMT

I just found that illuminationgear have H51 in stock now (not sure if it is the clipped version). And they have SC 50 clearance with 20% off.

Don't forget you can get 8% cpf discount, no coupon code, just contact them before you buy.

Written by Cemoi on 01-02-2011 02:23 AM GMT

Shorty66 said:
It`s a lot bigger than i thought, yet not bulky.
To the happy owners of both the H501 and H51: don't the increase in size (+76% in volume) and weight (+70%) wrt the H501 make the H51 a bit too big and wobbly when worn on the headband? To the happy owners of both the H501 and H51: don't the increase in size (+76% in volume) and weight (+70%) wrt the H501 make the H51 a bit too big and wobbly when worn on the headband?

I'm concerned about using it for night jogging.

Written by RedForest UK on 01-02-2011 05:18 AM GMT

Cemoi said:
To the happy owners of both the H501 and H51: don't the increase in size (+76% in volume) and weight (+70%) wrt the H501 make the H51 a bit too big and wobbly when worn on the headband?

I'm concerned about using it for night jogging.
In short, yes it does. It's not as suited to running as the H501. Although it's possible to keep it steady at a jog, the hotspot moving up and down is the most distracting part. For walking/hiking/general purpose however it is great. In short, yes it does. It's not as suited to running as the H501. Although it's possible to keep it steady at a jog, the hotspot moving up and down is the most distracting part. For walking/hiking/general purpose however it is great.

Written by liketotallyrandom on 01-02-2011 09:58 PM GMT

Does anyone have any runtime tests with Energizer Ultimate Lithiums in the H51 (or H51w)? I'm mainly interested in levels H2 (140 lumens) and H3 (100 lumens).

Written by davidt1 on 01-03-2011 07:47 AM GMT

RedForest UK said:
In short, yes it does. It's not as suited to running as the H501. Although it's possible to keep it steady at a jog, the hotspot moving up and down is the most distracting part. For walking/hiking/general purpose however it is great.
+1 +1

If anything, the increased size and weight should make the H51 more stable. It's the bouncing hot spot that's gonna be the problem.

Written by davidt1 on 01-13-2011 08:47 PM GMT

Received my H51w today. I used it at work and outside a bit. My initial impression is: I like it a lot.

Size:

While a lot bigger than my H501, it can still be worn around my neck and hidden behind all but my tightest shirts.

Tint:

I like the neutral white tint on this light so much better than the snow white tint of my H501. I am a NW convert now.

Beam profile:

The hot spot is smaller than I would like. I wish Zebralight could have evened the beam a little more: bigger hot spot and less spill, or less intense hot spot and brighter spill. The H501 wins for close-up use. The H51 wins for more distant use such as walking, hiking, etc.

Clip:

The clip comes off fairly easily with a strong yank. But this is by design, I think. People who want to use the SILLYCON light holder have to remove the clip first, and an easily removable clip makes life easier for them. Personally, I like it because it is a deep clip and it acts as a stabilizer to reduce bouncing when the light is used for running/jogging. I will post pictures to explain this later.

Click button:

The click button is more recessed and stiffer than the one on the H501. All this makes it harder to turn on by accident. This is big improvement here.

Overall I like my H51w a lot. It has the throw and sheer power the H501 lacks while having a nice enough beam profile for close-up use. And the beautiful NW tint is just so darn pleasing to use.

Re: Zebralight H51
Written by tygger on 01-14-2011 01:49 AM GMT

Very informative David, thanks! I'm definitely ordering an H51Fw now.

Written by damn_hammer on 01-14-2011 09:56 AM GMT

I just received the H51w a few days ago, and think I'd prefer the H51Fw over it. Also own the H501. The H51w has what I'd consider a flashlight beam profile.

David, how could you possibly fit the H51w under your shirt without it being obvious you have something there. I don't see how that's possible unless you're into some kind of fluffy fur collared shirts.

Written by davidt1 on 01-14-2011 10:42 AM GMT

damn_hammer said:
I just received the H51w a few days ago, and think I'd prefer the H51Fw over it. Also own the H501. The H51w has what I'd consider a flashlight beam profile.

David, how could you possibly fit the H51w under your shirt without it being obvious you have something there. I don't see how that's possible unless you're into some kind of fluffy fur collared shirts.
Here it is hidden (with the clip) under my tight muscle t-shirt. I think the dark color helps. Here it is hidden (with the clip) under my tight muscle t-shirt. I think the dark color helps.

IMG_6078aa.jpg

If you love the all flood beam of the H501 (I do), then I agree that the H51FW might be a better fit. Once you experience an all flood beam for close-up use, nothing else will do. As I explained earlier, I wish Zebralight had done a better job of evening out the beam. I find the spill rather dim and not very useful, especially up-close.

Written by cave dave on 01-14-2011 07:27 PM GMT

davidt1 said:
.... As I explained earlier, I wish Zebralight had done a better job of evening out the beam. I find the spill rather dim and not very useful, especially up-close.
David, I think they did that , its called the H51F. It seems like you just ordered the wrong light. (You will have to wait for the warm version though). David, I think they did that , its called the H51F. It seems like you just ordered the wrong light. (You will have to wait for the warm version though).

I think the H51w has an awesome beam. Its very reminiscent of the original HDS EDC with a Luxeon or SSC or the McGizmo reflectors with SSC. It has a nice med spot and a very smooth transition to the spill. I actually fully expected it to be throwier and was planning to add some diffuser material to mine but I like it the way it is.

Davidt1 and Damm_Hammer, PM me you mailing address and I'll send you some diffuser material. I think you will like the result and unlike the F model its easily removable.

Written by damn_hammer on 01-14-2011 08:28 PM GMT

icon1.gif
Re: YIPPIE, Zebralight H51FW and H51F is here!
Thanks for the offer. I posted the above comment earlier in another related thread. Thanks for the offer. I posted the above comment earlier in another related thread.

Written by tygger on 01-14-2011 10:07 PM GMT

cave dave said:
(You will have to wait for the warm version though).
They should be in stock. I just ordered an H51Fw from goinggear yesterday. They should be in stock. I just ordered an H51Fw from goinggear yesterday.

Written by woodentsick on 01-15-2011 03:58 AM GMT

davidt1 said:
Received my H51w today. I used it at work and outside a bit. My initial impression is: I like it a lot.

Size:

While a lot bigger than my H501, it can still be worn around my neck and hidden behind all but my tightest shirts.

Tint:

I like the neutral white tint on this light so much better than the snow white tint of my H501. I am a NW convert now.

Beam profile:

The hot spot is smaller than I would like. I wish Zebralight could have evened the beam a little more: bigger hot spot and less spill, or less intense hot spot and brighter spill. The H501 wins for close-up use. The H51 wins for more distant use such as walking, hiking, etc.

Clip:

The clip comes off fairly easily with a strong yank. But this is by design, I think. People who want to use the SILLYCON light holder have to remove the clip first, and an easily removable clip makes life easier for them. Personally, I like it because it is a deep clip and it acts as a stabilizer to reduce bouncing when the light is used for running/jogging. I will post pictures to explain this later.

Click button:

The click button is more recessed and stiffer than the one on the H501. All this makes it harder to turn on by accident. This is big improvement here.

Overall I like my H51w a lot. It has the throw and sheer power the H501 lacks while having a nice enough beam profile for close-up use. And the beautiful NW tint is just so darn pleasing to use.
David, thanks for reaffirming my hope that my upcoming SC51w will have a significantly better tint than my cool-white Quark AA-2. Don't get me wrong, I love that light, but I'm just really excited about the neutral-white tint David, thanks for reaffirming my hope that my upcoming SC51w will have a significantly better tint than my cool-white Quark AA-2. Don't get me wrong, I love that light, but I'm just really excited about the neutral-white tint :). And the improvement with the click button is very pleasing to hear :)

JA(me)S

Enlightened

Written by davidt1 on 01-15-2011 09:30 AM GMT

Dave Cave,

Thank you kindly for your offer to send diffuser material.

Woodentsick,

I think the possibility for accidental activation is still high with the SC51 because of the location of the switch.

Written by davidt1 on 01-15-2011 10:06 AM GMT

My impressions of the H51w part # 2:

It has now replaced both my H501 and K-106. For close-up use, I need to aim the beam frequently whereas I don't have to with the H501. This is an acceptable compromise for the tint, brightness and efficiency the H51w offers. For use as a flashlight, it took a little while to get used to holding it in an unconventional way. Again, this is an acceptable compromise for the power and EDC friendliness the H51w offers. Here are some pictures:

It's almost mind-boggling that the H51w on Eneloop is brighter than the bigger K-106 on 14500.

IMG_6084.jpg

My transition from H501 to H51w is seamless, as there is no need to make a new neck lanyard, belt sheath, or buy a new cell phone case. The H51w fits all the stuff the H501 fits. A small light lets you EDC it on your person in a number ways. Worn around the neck is my most recent and favorite way to EDC this light.

IMG_6080.jpg

How about a vertical belt sheath or phone case that lets you use the light right from your belt?

IMG_6094.jpg

IMG_6101.jpg

Don't like to carry it vertically? How about a horizontal belt sheath?

IMG_6099.jpg

Don't like to belt-carry? How about a discreet pocket carry that never turns the light on by accident and lets you access the light quickly when you need it? This picture shows the K-106 almost sticking out. The H51w, being shorter, completely hides inside.

IMG_5768.jpg

My point in showing these pictures is this: The next time you buy a tool, ask yourself, will I have it the moment I need it? Well, the only tools you have with you the moment you need them are the ones you can carry with you at all times.

And the tools you can carry with you at all times are the ones SMALL enough to carry with you. The H51w gives me the versatility of a headlamp and the power of flashlight in a beautiful NW tint and in an on-person EDC friendly package that is only 3.2'' long. It's hard not to like it.

Written by davidt1 on 01-17-2011 08:42 AM GMT

Used the strobe today. While slower than the H501 strobe, it's still far too fast than I would like. What's it with the Asians' fascination for fast strobes?

After 3 days of use, I can positively say that my H51w is better than my H501 with the exception of using it for reading. But here is the thing: I can still use the H51w for reading (I just have to aim the hot spot precisely) whereas I can't use the H501 to look at things 40 feet away. Run times are also fantastic on the H51w. On the H501, I have to use the high mode for just about everything and the battery lasts about 1.5 hr. On the H51w, I can use the high medium for the same tasks I use the H501 on high for. The battery is rated to last 12 hours.

While the body and threading of the H51w are thicker than the H501, the spring is as thin as the that of the H501. If you attach magnets to the tail cap of the H501, there is a chance that the magnets will weaken the spring over time and pull the battery away from the head. I used 2 magnets on my H501 and this happened to me twice already. I don't think there will be a problem if you use just one magnet. Keep this in mind if you intend to attach magnets to the H51w.

IMG_6109.jpg

Can I blame it on davidt1?
Written by PsychRN on 01-17-2011 10:56 AM GMT

This reminds me of a favorite Led Zepplin tune,"Nobody's Fault But Mine."

Why did I think I had enough freakin' willpower to subscribe to this thread?

Since I have closely followed the teachings & modifications of the Zebralight Gospel,according to our esteemed member: davidt1,I feel compelled;nay,hurled into purchasing a ZL H51.

MY TOP TEN REASONS:

(1.) davidt1 likes it.Verily,I say unto thee: if it were not so,he would have told us.
(2.) It's been over 24 hrs. since I pulled a new light out of the mailbox.(My second TRUST 2; thanx,Tod!).
(3.) The magnets (2) on my ZL h501W are smaller than a dime,only half it's thickness,and thanx! to K&JMagnetics,I have plenty.
(4.) I'm also stocked up on Gorilla Super Glue,which is formidable enough to glue a glob of Vaseline to a fish.
(5.) I have a dozen Eneloops AA's; four of which have never been used!
(6.) I have an Eneloops charger,the electric bill has been paid and the power is still on.
(7.) PayPal's website didn't close for Martin Luther King Day.
(8.) My ZL 501W is over 2 years old,and yearns for a big brother.
(9.) Santa did lousy here this year...I got 3 pairs of sox & a jockstrap,and they're all too big.
(10.) The weather forecast here in Resume Speed,KY calls for 50% chance of sleet/snow/ice/winter pestilence...but,based on a 56-year history in my lifetime, later this evening,there's a 100% chance of darkness.

Gotta go now...I'm on a Mission.

~PsychRN :devil:

My PayPal has Tod's email address memorized!

Re: Can I blame it on davidt1?
Written by davidt1 on 01-17-2011 08:37 PM GMT

Hi PsychRN,

An H51F would make a nice big brother for the H501.

I discovered something else I like about my H51w. A depleted battery doesn't suddenly die. It dims slowly. One of the complains about the H501 is that the battery just dies without warning when it is low. So this is another improvement my H51w has over my H501.

Written by PsychRN on 01-17-2011 08:56 PM GMT

That's great news,David.

And I just got my tracking # for mine,inbound,minutes ago.

Sat down last night with needle & Kevlar thread,some 2" wide elastic,some new flat wide bootlaces,three cordlocs, and made 3 of your headbands.

Made one tiny,to fit my iTP A3 EOS-U,one a little larger to fit my ZL 501W,and one just a little bigger,hoping it will fit the new ZL H51.

Just for fun, I stuck my Incendio V3+ in the largest-diameter headband,and swung it around on the right side of my head,and took Sajiko out for a walk.

But it was only usable on the lower two modes.To use it on 'high',you hafta shut yer right eye.

~Gnarly

Written by clint357 on 01-19-2011 12:30 PM GMT

I just got the ZL H51W and I understand that it is regulated so the brightness will stay at 100% until it's nearly out of power. I was just reading in another post that the brightness depends on what type of battery you have in it though...how is this possible? I am using 1.2v NiMh Duracell rechargables. Will this lower the output?

Written by davidt1 on 01-19-2011 01:26 PM GMT

Is that the regular Duracell rechargeable or Duraloop? Since Zebralight tested this light using Eneloop, I would stick with Eneloop.

Written by clint357 on 01-19-2011 03:21 PM GMT

Regular 1.2v. I was just wondering what would be holding the output back. Amperage restrictions or voltage. It seems that voltage would not be the problem though.

Written by Kirakishou on 01-19-2011 10:50 PM GMT

cave dave said:
Davidt1 and Damm_Hammer, PM me your mailing address and I'll send you some diffuser material. I think you will like the result and unlike the F model it's easily removable.
And he sent them some scotch tape... And he sent them some scotch tape...

Written by damn_hammer on 01-20-2011 06:09 AM GMT

Kirakishou said:
And he sent them some scotch tape...
I think a 7/8" circle craft punch out of Fellowes WrightRite will do it. Just need to locate the punch. 3/4" creates a ring or halo in the beam of un-diffused light. I think a 7/8" circle craft punch out of Fellowes WrightRite will do it. Just need to locate the punch. 3/4" creates a ring or halo in the beam of un-diffused light.

Written by davidt1 on 01-20-2011 12:34 PM GMT

My H51w going through a 2hr waterproofing test. It passed.

IMG_6176.jpg

Written by davidt1 on 01-21-2011 11:52 AM GMT

Dave Cave was kind enough to send me not only the diffuser material but he also pre-cut a piece that fits the H51. This thing works much better than scotch tape. It seems to make the hot spot bigger with very little loss of brightness. With this material, the hot spot now covers an entire page of a regular text book. Before, I had to aim and re-aim the hot spot. No more. It's still no H501, but I am very happy with it.

Dave Cave, you rock. Thank you.

IMG_6199.jpg

Written by Thujone on 01-21-2011 01:04 PM GMT

Just wanted to drop in and say that after 24h with my H51w I am *very* pleased. honestly it exceeded my expectations and will likely be my edc for a while. I had expected it to only fill my need for a headlamp, but so far I am thinking it can carry its weight in the edc arena as well.

Written by badrobot on 01-21-2011 02:43 PM GMT

how easy, or hard is it to get the diffuser on and off? is it stable once it is on? to anyone that has both, does using the diffuser on an h51 make the beam profile similar to an h51f?

Written by PsychRN on 01-21-2011 08:30 PM GMT

:twothumbs

USPS Tracking # says my H51 is in the mailbox,when I get home.

:clap:

Where do you buy the diffuser material,please?

:thinking:

Written by davidt1 on 01-21-2011 09:28 PM GMT

PsychRN said:
:twothumbs

USPS Tracking # says my H51 is in the mailbox,when I get home.

:clap:

Where do you buy the diffuser material,please?

:thinking:
I think some people buy it here. I think some people buy it here.

http://www.berlinwallpaper.com/dcfix/

Written by PsychRN on 01-22-2011 01:11 AM GMT

Thanx!

That stuff would help my 'homemade restoration' of an old,old theatre lamp (missing a diffuser;before the availibility of 'gels' & 'gelframes').

Sorry for the sidetrack!

Written by davidt1 on 01-22-2011 06:20 AM GMT

badrobot said:
how easy, or hard is it to get the diffuser on and off? is it stable once it is on? to anyone that has both, does using the diffuser on an h51 make the beam profile similar to an h51f?
I wanted to use it for a while before answering your question. It's not hard to get it on and off. It's stable once it is on. Can't answer the last question. I wanted to use it for a while before answering your question. It's not hard to get it on and off. It's stable once it is on. Can't answer the last question.

Written by davidt1 on 01-23-2011 05:35 AM GMT

Thujone said:
Just wanted to drop in and say that after 24h with my H51w I am *very* pleased. honestly it exceeded my expectations and will likely be my edc for a while. I had expected it to only fill my need for a headlamp, but so far I am thinking it can carry its weight in the edc arena as well.
Agreed. It's a nice little light, isn't it? It is my primary light, and a part of my must-carry EDC. Agreed. It's a nice little light, isn't it? It is my primary light, and a part of my must-carry EDC.

IMG_6185.jpg

Written by B0wz3r on 01-23-2011 11:07 PM GMT

badrobot said:
I posted this in the H51F thread as well, but will mention it here also... I put some scotch "magic" tape on the lens of my H51w; pressed it down with a fingernail and then used an exacto knife to trim off the excess... beam profile looks identical to the H51Fw beam shots that have been posted here so far. Only difference is that it's not as bright. I posted this in the H51F thread as well, but will mention it here also... I put some scotch "magic" tape on the lens of my H51w; pressed it down with a fingernail and then used an exacto knife to trim off the excess... beam profile looks identical to the H51Fw beam shots that have been posted here so far. Only difference is that it's not as bright.

Written by GGHammer on 01-24-2011 06:11 AM GMT

H51's 200lm is DIMMER than Fenix MC-10's 125lm...

I am using same set of new AA...

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Written by davidt1 on 01-24-2011 08:06 AM GMT

Various diffuser materials were tested and reported here. It helps to have used more than one item so that one has a frame of reference.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=222233

Written by PsychRN on 01-24-2011 09:02 AM GMT

GGHammer,

Sounds like you may have it in 'low range.'

Written by MNDan on 01-24-2011 10:47 AM GMT

I will post a more detailed review soon, but my "170 lumen" H51w that I just received is definitely not as bright as my U2SVOH bin SSC P4 modded Apex, which should only be 130 lumens. It is a nifty little light, though.

Written by GGHammer on 01-24-2011 05:15 PM GMT

PsychRN said:
GGHammer,

Sounds like you may have it in 'low range.'
I tried to get the various output and it seems it is dimmer even at the brightest level... I tried to get the various output and it seems it is dimmer even at the brightest level...

Or am I getting a piece which is substantially under rated? :eek:

Is this normal? :confused:

Many thanks.

Written by parnass on 01-24-2011 08:58 PM GMT

GGHammer said:
H51's 200lm is DIMMER than Fenix MC-10's 125lm...

I am using same set of new AA...
What kind of battery did you use? What kind of battery did you use?

Written by GeoBruin on 01-24-2011 10:06 PM GMT

GGHammer said:
I tried to get the various output and it seems it is dimmer even at the brightest level...

Or am I getting a piece which is substantially under rated? :eek:

Is this normal? :confused:

Many thanks.
Hmm. GGHammer, I don't know how familiar you are with the ZL interface, but did you know that in addition to there being a high, medium, and low setting, the medium and low settings have a "sub mode" that can be activated by double clicking and that the highest setting can be set to a number of different brightness settings by double clicking 6 times? Sorry if you knew all this, I just want you to get all your light out of that H51! Hmm. GGHammer, I don't know how familiar you are with the ZL interface, but did you know that in addition to there being a high, medium, and low setting, the medium and low settings have a "sub mode" that can be activated by double clicking and that the highest setting can be set to a number of different brightness settings by double clicking 6 times? Sorry if you knew all this, I just want you to get all your light out of that H51!

Written by GGHammer on 01-25-2011 02:24 AM GMT

parnass said:
What kind of battery did you use?
In addition to Alkaline AA, I tried eneloop 2,000mAh as well. In addition to Alkaline AA, I tried eneloop 2,000mAh as well.

GeoBruin said:
Hmm. GGHammer, I don't know how familiar you are with the ZL interface, but did you know that in addition to there being a high, medium, and low setting, the medium and low settings have a "sub mode" that can be activated by double clicking and that the highest setting can be set to a number of different brightness settings by double clicking 6 times? Sorry if you knew all this, I just want you to get all your light out of that H51!
Many thanks, GeoBruin, Many thanks, GeoBruin,

I did try to get the various mode, including double clicking 6 times, as well as the strobe mode, none of them seem as bright as the Fenix MC-10.

I guess this have to do with the size of the Hot Spot.

It seems that the MC-10 has a smaller hot spot which means higher intensity, hence, seems brighter.

The H51, on the other hand, has a 11 degree hot spot (from the zebralight site)... Whatever it mean, it seems larger, and hence dimmer due to the lower intensity (?)

One way or the other, I still cannot distinguish the two high mode, i.e. 200lm & 100lm, no matter what battery I use.

Thanks.

Written by davidt1 on 01-25-2011 04:22 AM GMT

badrobot said:
Also, Also,

I had originally intended to make a pop-on diffuser out of the DC-fix material Dave sent me, but the irregular shape of the H51 head would make that difficult to do. Fortunately, since there is so little loss of brightness, I decided to leave it on for good.

JA(me)S

Enlightened

Written by JA(me)S on 01-25-2011 07:16 AM GMT

:thinking: Given that the H51 is a headlamp, I have an off the wall question of the new clip design: can it be effectively used by clipping to a baseball style hat brim? Perhaps one could clip it to the side of the brim and rotate the light so it faces out? A pic showing the possibility would be most appreciated. Thanks!

- Jas.

Written by GeoBruin on 01-25-2011 11:00 AM GMT

GGHammer said:
In addition to Alkaline AA, I tried eneloop 2,000mAh as well.

Many thanks, GeoBruin,

I did try to get the various mode, including double clicking 6 times, as well as the strobe mode, none of them seem as bright as the Fenix MC-10.

I guess this have to do with the size of the Hot Spot.

It seems that the MC-10 has a smaller hot spot which means higher intensity, hence, seems brighter.

The H51, on the other hand, has a 11 degree hot spot (from the zebralight site)... Whatever it mean, it seems larger, and hence dimmer due to the lower intensity (?)

One way or the other, I still cannot distinguish the two high mode, i.e. 200lm & 100lm, no matter what battery I use.

Thanks.
Could very well be the case. I can tell you that I was gifted a Stanley rechargeable LED flashlight that is rated at 70 lumens and I would swear it's the "brightest" light I own because the beam is so tight. Focusing the light into such a small hotspot makes it appear quite a bit brighter. On the other hand, the light is basically useless because the intense hotspot makes my pupils shrink and everything in my periphery turns black! There is definitely something to be said for some good spill. Could very well be the case. I can tell you that I was gifted a Stanley rechargeable LED flashlight that is rated at 70 lumens and I would swear it's the "brightest" light I own because the beam is so tight. Focusing the light into such a small hotspot makes it appear quite a bit brighter. On the other hand, the light is basically useless because the intense hotspot makes my pupils shrink and everything in my periphery turns black! There is definitely something to be said for some good spill.

Enjoy your ZL!

Written by davidt1 on 01-25-2011 12:51 PM GMT

JA(me)S said:
:thinking: Given that the H51 is a headlamp, I have an off the wall question of the new clip design: can it be effectively used by clipping to a baseball style hat brim? Perhaps one could clip it to the side of the brim and rotate the light so it faces out? A pic showing the possibility would be most appreciated. Thanks!

- Jas.
I went and bought a hat just to answer your question. Sure it works and the light rotates smoothly to aim the beam exactly where you want. However, it just feels weird having weight on one side. Also, the attachment is not the most secure. But fear not, there is a better way to use it from your hat. I went and bought a hat just to answer your question. Sure it works and the light rotates smoothly to aim the beam exactly where you want. However, it just feels weird having weight on one side. Also, the attachment is not the most secure. But fear not, there is a better way to use it from your hat.

I also tested out two ways of using flashlights hand-free. Before getting a proper headlamp, I have used flashlights attached to hats and headbands but never got used to it. I will show why.

H51w attached to brim of hat

IMG_6252.jpg

IMG_6223.jpg

K-106 attached to shoelace headband.

IMG_6243.jpg

Beam catches top of book from normal reading position (with book resting on lap)

IMG_6241.jpg

Maratac AAA attached to brim of hat.

IMG_6246.jpg

Beam catches top of book in normal reading position.

IMG_6247.jpg

H51w attached to back of hat. This is better than attaching to the front because the bulk and weight of the light is centered and close to your head. All you need is a piece of elastic which can be left on the hat permanently for convenience.

IMG_6258.jpg

Beam can be aimed anywhere needed.

IMG_6260.jpg

Written by JA(me)S on 01-25-2011 01:26 PM GMT

Wow, davidt, I am indebted to your thoughtful and unintentionally expensive response without the ability to recompense... I hope the Pokemon hat didn't set you back too much - it would clearly be in violation to the book you are currently reading! Seriously, I am in awe of the depth of your response. You have provided superior solutions to a problem I've encountered for years. However, it is still nice to know I could use the H51 on any hat in a pinch (2nd pic you added later really helps). THANK YOU!
lovecpf

Written by flasherByNight on 01-25-2011 02:27 PM GMT

Very helpful post David! Thanks =)

The backwards hat idea is a great one!

Written by silverglow on 01-25-2011 04:47 PM GMT

GGHammer said:
Hi GGHammer, Hi GGHammer,

until recently I had a similar problem with my H51: I didn't understand why it didn't last long enough on H1 (200 lm)... even with a fresh Eneloop it only lasted about half an hour and then it dropped down to H2 it seemed. Also, the difference in brightness between H1 and H2 wasn't quite as noticable as I would like it to be. When I fiddled around with it some days ago it was kind of embarassing for me to find out that I obviously had never tightened the tailcap firmly enough until now...

I realised that the contact between the blank metal rim at the end of the body and the contacts inside the tailcap just wasn't good enough for the high current on H1, so I cleaned the rim (which was also somewhat greasy) and tightened it much more firmly and now the difference between H1 and H2 is very noticable :) and most probably also the duration, but I haven't tested it so far.

So maybe this helps in your case, too.

silverglow

Written by GGHammer on 01-26-2011 06:52 AM GMT

silverglow said:
Hi GGHammer,

until recently I had a similar problem with my H51: I didn't understand why it didn't last long enough on H1 (200 lm)... even with a fresh Eneloop it only lasted about half an hour and then it dropped down to H2 it seemed. Also, the difference in brightness between H1 and H2 wasn't quite as noticable as I would like it to be. When I fiddled around with it some days ago it was kind of embarassing for me to find out that I obviously had never tightened the tailcap firmly enough until now...

I realised that the contact between the blank metal rim at the end of the body and the contacts inside the tailcap just wasn't good enough for the high current on H1, so I cleaned the rim (which was also somewhat greasy) and tightened it much more firmly and now the difference between H1 and H2 is very noticable :) and most probably also the duration, but I haven't tested it so far.

silverglow
Hi silverglow, Hi silverglow,

You have the mystery cracked!!!

It wasn't look dirty at all before I have it "cleaned"... Well, the paper tower has, what I would call, minimal dirt on it after cleaning is done.

After cleaning, a fresh newly charged eneloop is used for testing... It is considerably much much brighter than before, at least now I know I can, and I know if I have selected the 200lm mode.

Still, to my surpirise, I have to clean the screw thread to a point of grease-free before 200lm mode can be achieved. Feels like a problem with the light, perhaps a design problem, or a problem with the grease used during the manufacturing process...

I cannot say I am particularly happy on this finding...

But thanks again to silverglow, your discovery help me to regain the H1 mode.

Cheers.

Written by silverglow on 01-26-2011 04:27 PM GMT

GGHammer said:
Hi silverglow,

You have the mystery cracked!!!

It wasn't look dirty at all before I have it "cleaned"... Well, the paper tower has, what I would call, minimal dirt on it after cleaning is done.

After cleaning, a fresh newly charged eneloop is used for testing... It is considerably much much brighter than before, at least now I know I can, and I know if I have selected the 200lm mode.

Still, to my surpirise, I have to clean the screw thread to a point of grease-free before 200lm mode can be achieved. Feels like a problem with the light, perhaps a design problem, or a problem with the grease used during the manufacturing process...

I cannot say I am particularly happy on this finding...

But thanks again to silverglow, your discovery help me to regain the H1 mode.

Cheers.

Hi GGHammer,

you are welcome, I'm glad I was able to help :)

Regarding the screw threads I can't imagine that they really need to be grease-free as they are anodized anyway and not conductive. I would guess the anodization will last longer if the threads are also greased and not only the o-ring.

Best regards,

silverglow

Written by srfreddy on 01-26-2011 05:21 PM GMT

You should keep the grease on the threads, its just on the tailcap, cuz the stuff naturally migrates with use.

Written by GGHammer on 01-30-2011 02:43 AM GMT

srfreddy said:
You should keep the grease on the threads, its just on the tailcap, cuz the stuff naturally migrates with use.
Agree. But the idea of having contact problem, due to too much grease or not, makes me doubt about recommending it, despite it does deliver enough light, even at H2. Agree. But the idea of having contact problem, due to too much grease or not, makes me doubt about recommending it, despite it does deliver enough light, even at H2.

Written by gsimon on 01-30-2011 06:26 PM GMT

I just got my H51w last week and really like it a lot. I couldnt really tell much of a difference between H1 and H2. The light just wasn't that impressive to me. I figured something was up. I was using Energizer Nimh's (A few years old) So charged one up, and still no difference. H1 and H2 looked the same still. So I tossed in an Alkaline and WOW, it was a LOT brighter. So...what does this mean? Are my Energizer Nimh's worn out? I know these lights were tested with Eneloops from the factory, but i would think you could still achieve the same brightness with any Nimh's and the only benefit to the Eneloop is the low self-discharge. Any opinion on this? Whats the best way to test my batteries "Health" I have a multimeter..

Written by tedh on 01-30-2011 08:24 PM GMT

I find this happening with Eneloops when the battery is nearly discharged. I would guess the light is unable to draw enough current from the battery to give full output. I'm guessing it's not the brand, but rather the age of the cells; they simply can't deliver enough juice to drive the light at full power.

If your multimeter can measure amps, you should be able to test if the discharge rate of the battery can provide what the light demands; someone else may have a good protocol for this. But I think your test with the alkalines already points to the issue being the old rechargeable battery. As a first test of battery health, can you leave it on H2 and time how long before it goes out (or drops to M)? The capacity may be diminished as well, suggesting the cell is ready to be recycled.

Written by srfreddy on 01-30-2011 08:41 PM GMT

eneloops also can handle much higher current draw, but I would probably clean you tailcap spring first, and your battery contacts, with alcohol.

Written by JA(me)S on 01-31-2011 12:10 AM GMT

I appreciate the utility of the H51 for EDC purposes. It is probably the most versatile light on the market right now. However, after more due diligence, I have additional questions:

1. Ahem,…right out of the gate I'll admit that when it comes to lights, I'm orally fixated – does the H51 (with the clip on) offer enough purchase for mouth holding? (davidt1, pics not necessary – and please don't add to my guilt by going out and purchasing a mannequin for illustrative purposes!)
  2. Is it necessary to lock out the tail cap to prevent accidental activation while in your pocket (e.g. SC51, et al)?
  3. Does the clip add enough stability to the light when laying on a flat surface horizontally to do a ceiling bounce (i.e. traditional tail stand)?
  4. IMHO, knurling benefits smaller lights – is this a "slippery little sucker"? (bonus points if you can name the movie)
  5. It doesn't look light ZL purposely designed the clip to be reversible – but is it? This would greatly add to active use versatility – light clipped to shirt, belt, etc….
  6. Lastly, I've read that it is easier to use the H51 as a flashlight than it is to use the SC51 as a headlamp. How difficult is it to use the H51 as a flashlight?
Thanks, - Jas.

Written by gsimon on 01-31-2011 05:11 PM GMT

cleaned the contacts re-greased threads, same problem. I think my nimh's are just too old. It's just strange because i did the same comparison between the NIMH's and alkalines in my quark turbo and it made no difference in output. Perhaps the zebralight just draws more juice? It would make sense being as it nearly puts out the same amount of lumens as my quark with 2aa's...perhaps it's time to invest in some eneloops! Any recommendations on the old ones vs the new ones? I'm a little irked by this because the batteries seems to work fine in my Nitecore EZAA and my Quark, but it's alright i'll find plenty of uses for them. My camera flash takes 4 of them, so they wont be wasted!

Written by gsimon on 01-31-2011 05:27 PM GMT

JAS, to answer your questions.

1. Yes, but i have a big mouth. (i'll spare you picture of that) I wouldnt want to hold it in my mouth for a long time though. Clipping it onto my shirt collar works good too.

2. No problems with accidental activation in the H51 because the button points down, but I cant speak for the sc51. I could see that being a potential issue, but who knows.

3. Yes, the clip allows it to lay flat and "tail-stand"

4. It's not slippery at all in my opinion. Knurling on he tail cap and the grooves on the head give plenty of grip. The clip also gives you grip.

5. The clip is reversible, but not designed to be. Reversing it doesn't really give you and advantage other than holding the light 2 inches above you belt as opposed to 2 inches below it. (Reversing it only grabs about an inch anyway on a belt) It wouldnt be practical to carry it that way either because it would stick out of your pocket. The groove you see in the pictures is the only groove you can mount the clip too.

6. It works GREAT as a flashlight and has far better utility. It's easy to clip inside a pocket and i really like that I can clip it anywhere and have the light aim outwards. I also like that you can tail stand it and point it anywhere you want. It's a little different holding it, but easy to get accustomed to. I'm totally digging this light and not to mention it's just something a little different. I don't use it as a headlamp because I like carrying it with me so much. Great beam and LOVE the neutral tint. Hope this helps!

Written by JA(me)S on 01-31-2011 09:08 PM GMT

gsimon said:

1. Yes, but i have a big mouth. (i'll spare you picture of that) Thank you - very thoughtful I wouldnt want to hold it in my mouth for a long time though. Clipping it onto my shirt collar works good too. Good news!

2. No problems with accidental activation in the H51 because the button points down, but I cant speak for the sc51. I could see that being a potential issue, but who knows. Great news! IMO a big drawback to the SC51. Given the design, was hoping this wasn't an issue with the H51 - glad to hear its not.

3. Yes, the clip allows it to lay flat and "tail-stand" I do this all the time with other lights, and would have missed not being able to with this one.

4. It's not slippery at all in my opinion. Knurling on he tail cap and the grooves on the head give plenty of grip. The clip also gives you grip. I thought this was the case, but doesn't hurt to ask...

5. The clip is reversible, but not designed to be. Reversing it doesn't really give you and advantage other than holding the light 2 inches above you belt as opposed to 2 inches below it. (Reversing it only grabs about an inch anyway on a belt) It wouldnt be practical to carry it that way either because it would stick out of your pocket. The groove you see in the pictures is the only groove you can mount the clip too. Emphasis added. Great points! Don't know what I was thinking - obviously wasn't.

6. It works GREAT as a flashlight and has far better utility. It's easy to clip inside a pocket and i really like that I can clip it anywhere and have the light aim outwards. I also like that you can tail stand it and point it anywhere you want. It's a little different holding it, but easy to get accustomed to. I'm totally digging this light and not to mention it's just something a little different. I don't use it as a headlamp because I like carrying it with me so much. Great beam and LOVE the neutral tint. Hope this helps!
I tend to scrutinize my EDC light more than any other type, and the H51w looks like it meets or exceeds all my requirements. Like you, I'll rarely use it as a headlamp, but it will be my most used. Hence, it has to reach a higher standard. I have looked at legions of possibilities; from those held in highest regard at CPF, to custom, to paired lights....ad nauseam. Nothing seems to have the versatility and utility - the versutility- like the H51w. Now add in the performance on LSD NiMH, pleasing neutral tint, thoughtful UI, and clip re-design and I believe ZL hit one out of the park by thinking outside of the box. Perhaps too optimistically, I say this without having even held it. Thanks gsimon, between your response and davidt1's, I think I have found something that will make life a little easier and more enjoyable. A realization you both already knew! :thumbsup:

- Jas.

Written by davidt1 on 02-02-2011 08:41 PM GMT

The H51fw is probably better for close-up task, if the user intends to use the light up-close.

Written by JA(me)S on 02-02-2011 11:01 PM GMT

davidt1 said:
The H51fw is probably better for close-up task, if the user intends to use the light up-close.
Agreed, but that is not what I'm looking for in an EDC light. For me an EDC must perform many functions well - an all flood EDC would be too restrictive and specialized. In effect it would limit its Agreed, but that is not what I'm looking for in an EDC light. For me an EDC must perform many functions well - an all flood EDC would be too restrictive and specialized. In effect it would limit its versutility.

(I've either got to make that my H51 catch phrase, or stop using it all together - silly made up word...)

Written by Burgess on 02-02-2011 11:30 PM GMT

Reminds me of the Old ( 1970's ? ) television commercials

for canned Tuna (Chicken of the Sea) . . . .

VersaTunaTility

lovecpf

_

Written by JA(me)S on 02-03-2011 01:38 AM GMT

Burgess said:
Reminds me of the Old ( 1970's ? ) television commercials

for canned Tuna (Chicken of the Sea) . . . .

VersaTunaTility
:crackup: :bow:Wow, where did you pull that out of - impressive! Who knew Dennis Miller was into flashlights?!

Burgess, I owe you a couple of pics don't I? Given I'm still surrounded by moving boxes, I'm not sure of my capability in coming up with a good enough excuse that my wife would believe for me taking pics of an old flashlight...

OK, sorry davidt1, back on topic...

Yes, the H51 has a VersaTunaTility.... a certain Wessonality..... how is that beam so clean and white? (Ancient Chinese Secret).....

:shrug:That's all I got... - Jas.

Written by vresto on 02-03-2011 04:00 AM GMT

JA(me)S said:
Agreed, but that is not what I'm looking for in an EDC light. For me an EDC must perform many functions well - an all flood EDC would be too restrictive and specialized. In effect it would limit its versutility.

(I've either got to make that my H51 catch phrase, or stop using it all together - silly made up word...)
hallo....btw-is possible to buy for the zebras the gitd silicon holders?? i need new one :)

Written by JA(me)S on 02-03-2011 08:49 AM GMT

vresto said:
hallo....btw-is possible to buy for the zebras the gitd silicon holders?? i need new one :)
I'm sorry I don't know, perhaps others can chime in? In the meantime, I'll try to track down an answer for you... - Jas. I'm sorry I don't know, perhaps others can chime in? In the meantime, I'll try to track down an answer for you... - Jas.

Oh, and by the way... :welcome:

Written by davidt1 on 02-03-2011 12:32 PM GMT

My Maratac AAA has a bigger hot spot than my H51w. I have always thought the XP-G emitter should have a bigger hot spot. I would much prefer either a bigger hot spot or brighter spill. Better yet not spill at all if possible. I find the spill to be more distracting than useful at mid/low levels.

Written by cave dave on 02-03-2011 04:01 PM GMT

JA(me)S said:
Agreed, but that is not what I'm looking for in an EDC light. For me an EDC must perform many functions well - an all flood EDC would be too restrictive and specialized. In effect it would limit its versutility.

The H51F is not "all flood" at least not in the sense that an H501 is. The beam is diffused but not as diffused as somthing behind a Surefire F04 diffusing filter for instance. Have you ever used LDF from flashlight lens? That would probably give you the best example. If not put some scotch tape on a light and that will give you some idea. The H51F is not "all flood" at least not in the sense that an H501 is. The beam is diffused but not as diffused as somthing behind a Surefire F04 diffusing filter for instance. Have you ever used LDF from flashlight lens? That would probably give you the best example. If not put some scotch tape on a light and that will give you some idea.

Written by JA(me)S on 02-03-2011 08:03 PM GMT

cave dave said:
The H51F is not "all flood" at least not in the sense that an H501 is. The beam is diffused but not as diffused as somthing behind a Surefire F04 diffusing filter for instance. Have you ever used LDF from flashlight lens? That would probably give you the best example. If not put some scotch tape on a light and that will give you some idea.
Yes, of course you're right, I should not have implied the H51F to be "all flood". It is diffused - and with you and davidt1 politely looking out for my best interest, perhaps I should listen and/or explain a little better. As noted above, I've recently moved - and traded the backyard concern from bear to gator (thanks to a beautiful natural pond). Would I be able to see the gator on the prowl just as easily with the H51Fw as I would the H51w at 30 yards? I understand there is only an 8 lumen difference between the two lights - but wouldn't a diffused beam equate to a proportionally greater difference in lux? Yes, of course you're right, I should not have implied the H51F to be "all flood". It is diffused - and with you and davidt1 politely looking out for my best interest, perhaps I should listen and/or explain a little better. As noted above, I've recently moved - and traded the backyard concern from bear to gator (thanks to a beautiful natural pond). Would I be able to see the gator on the prowl just as easily with the H51Fw as I would the H51w at 30 yards? I understand there is only an 8 lumen difference between the two lights - but wouldn't a diffused beam equate to a proportionally greater difference in lux?

Thanks, - Jas.

Written by srfreddy on 02-03-2011 08:13 PM GMT

30 yards is pretty damn far...... Well not really, but the H51w would reach much better.

Written by Kevin Tan on 02-03-2011 09:40 PM GMT

What I usually do when changing battery is to put a piece of paper on a flat surface and rub the bottom of the barrel to get some of the oxidation off. Works and you can see the difference between the 100 and 200 lumens on fresh charged Eneloops .

Written by JA(me)S on 02-04-2011 08:05 AM GMT

vresto said:
I just received this response from Lillian: "Yes, we'll have those accessories listed on our website soon." I just received this response from Lillian: "Yes, we'll have those accessories listed on our website soon."

- Jas.

Written by davidt1 on 02-05-2011 07:30 PM GMT

Stupid me!

I removed the DC-fix diffuser to do some testing and lost it. I also lost the bigger piece a week earlier. I have been using my H51w without a diffuser for 2 days now. I am getting used to it though. Still, I am such an idiot for losing it.

JA(me)S

Enlightened

Written by gsimon on 02-05-2011 07:41 PM GMT

30 yards is no problem with the H51w....My fence in my backyard is 50 yards and i can light that up. Now....not like daylight...but good enough to see something back there. At 30 yards, you would be fine. I am still in "Bear,Coyote,fox,deer,skunk" mode....the skunk being my biggest worry when i let the dog out. That was the whole reason for investing in a quark turbo and the zebra in the first place! I need to see them before my dog gets sprayed for the 5th time!

Written by davidt1 on 02-05-2011 08:30 PM GMT

Used my H51w (without a diffuser) for about 2 hours just now to do some close-up work. The 26lm medium mode was used the whole time. This project involved making some containers out of some small metal tubes for my wallet and key chain. I used a hand saw to cut thin slices of aluminum and glued them to the tubes. My H501 just sat there unused. I didn't feel a need to use it at all.

IMG_6351.jpg

Written by JA(me)S on 02-05-2011 09:14 PM GMT

srfreddy said:
30 yards is pretty damn far...... Well not really, but the H51w would reach much better.
gsimon said:
30 yards is no problem with the H51w....My fence in my backyard is 50 yards and i can light that up. Now....not like daylight...but good enough to see something back there. At 30 yards, you would be fine.
davidt1 said:
Used my H51w (without a diffuser) for about 2 hours just now to do some close-up work. The 26lm medium mode was used the whole time....My H501 just sat there unused. I didn't feel a need to use it at all.
:thumbsup:Thank you. I have tried to analyze my EDC light needs carefully; estimated 60% distance, 40% close-up. With your input, I still believe the H51w will be of better service over the H51Fw. davidt1, once again I extend my gratitude for posting a pic to illustrate - a picture is worth a thousand lumens (diffused or not)...

- Jas.

Written by davidt1 on 02-06-2011 08:37 AM GMT

Just to be clear:

The H501 is still a great light. There is nothing like a all flood beam for up-close work. I don't use my H501 a whole lot anymore because I like the NW tint of my H51w more than the CW tint of my H501. I did some sewing work this morning. I started with the H501 on high. Then switched to the H51w on the 26lm mode. Yes there was a hot spot and I had to aim it precisely, but the tint was so much better.

I still want an all flood ZL light in neutral white. Unless Zebralight comes with a new light, I will most likely buy an H501w even though I hate the though of buying 2009 technology in 2011.

Written by Bolster on 02-06-2011 11:18 AM GMT

davidt1 said:
I still want an all flood ZL light in neutral white. Unless Zebralight comes with a new light, I will most likely buy an H501w even though I hate the though of buying 2009 technology in 2011.
I feel the same way, but I did just buy a H501w despite the investment in 2-year-old technology. I'm sure that I'd be thrilled with a H51Fw, too, in many situations. However I so often get my head stuck in tight spots, it's easier to turn my eyes than my head...thus the H501w. I feel the same way, but I did just buy a H501w despite the investment in 2-year-old technology. I'm sure that I'd be thrilled with a H51Fw, too, in many situations. However I so often get my head stuck in tight spots, it's easier to turn my eyes than my head...thus the H501w.

Interestingly, you don't see such a big difference in power/efficiency between the H51 and H501 in the midranges, where I tend to use my lights almost exclusively. 28 lumen/12 hrs for the H51, 18 lumen/19 hours for the H501. Sometimes I think the real breakthrough with the new H51 series is mainly that the bright setting got a lot brighter. ("Not that there's anything wrong with that," as Seinfeld would say.)

Written by Haz on 02-08-2011 03:11 PM GMT

silverglow said:

silverglow
1 )Have you had further issues since you cleaned it?, do you constantly need to clean it to get the H1 and H2 to function property? or does the tightening action help to make it more permanent and non-reoccuring issue? 1 )Have you had further issues since you cleaned it?, do you constantly need to clean it to get the H1 and H2 to function property? or does the tightening action help to make it more permanent and non-reoccuring issue?

2) another question, how sturdy is the clip, does it hold on tightly enough?

thanks

Haz

Written by mellowman on 02-09-2011 03:55 AM GMT

I placed an order for three H51w in Dec. and received them direct from China mid Jan.. Always thought the hotspot was small compared to other XP-G lights I have but thought it was a design issue with achieving the large spill area.

Having viewed a review on H51Fw on youtube by GoingGear.com I started to think the problem might be the leds. I remembered reading posts about cloudy led domes on SC51w's and took a closer look at my leds.

Sure enough, all my H51w's have dome issues.

H51w #1

5430130543_b3d727447b_b.jpg

H51w #2

5430737292_00eb2ce188_b.jpg

H52w #3

5430131463_4187a9aa48_b.jpg

Not sure if these dome imperfections cause smaller hotspots or less overall lumens or not. But as stated in the SC51w posts, not the quality expected in a flashlight at this price point.

Here's some shots of a Fenix MC10 and a Jetbeam BK135A, both around the same price as a H51w.

Fenix MC10

5430131833_a6397c0711_b.jpg

BK135A

5430738584_10d951f611_b.jpg

At least my H51w's were centered but I think they will be going back for an exchange.

Edit: BTW, if you want check you own get a good magnifier. It is hard to tell with the naked eye.

Written by mkd on 02-09-2011 04:45 AM GMT

i'm new to flashlights and have a few fenix aa lights and recently bought a h51 (not the neutral white) for mostly using as a headlamp but also as a dual purpose light. it took a bit to get the program down and features sorted out but it really wasn't that big of an issue. i have used it twice for a headlamp for snow removal while running my ariens and many times to walk the driveway getting the paper. i am a bifocal glass wearer and 60 yrs old and have a bit of a balance issue and don't like walking anywhere in the dark without seeing where i'm going for fear of tripping and falling.i must say as a novice to lights that my first impression of the light is it's a great little light. i like the size,the variable beam output levels, the od green color,the run time(all though i've used the light mostly on the mid beam lower setting), the fact the clip is removable for deep pocket carry,and the headlamp option.i'm especially going to like the lower beam output settings and the compact size for walking into my turkey blind in the dark and decoy setup where i want to be in stealth mode.one thing i didn't like was the shipping times from overseas and the fact you are buying the light from one address here in the states and the product or support doesn't come from the same place.it's like purchasing through an agent vs right from the mfg. the only 2 things i didn't like about the light were no way to attach a paracord lanyard and the bigger con of having the lamp turn on by itself in my shirt pocket. i would like to see a stiffer on/off button or perhaps the button recessed farther in. the light end cap can be twisted open a tad and that will prevent it from turning on by itself and i'm thinking perhaps a paracord could go around the main tube of the light similar to attaching a goose call to a neck lanyard. anyone have any better ideas for the lanyard? all in all the h51 so far has been a great little light even though the shipping seemed to take forever and i'm a little skeptical of the company if i ever need service.

Written by Power_of_the_Sun on 02-09-2011 05:43 AM GMT

Hey guys: Just found this japanese link with some great close-up shots of the H51fw.

http://www.pro-light.jp/head_lamp/ze.../h51_f_nw.html

Written by Power_of_the_Sun on 02-09-2011 05:46 AM GMT

Notice how the color is more of a green/brown/gold/grey than the more sunburnt bronze/dark brown appearance seen in ZL's webpage. After seeing the shots Mellowman posted of domes with milky siding, my confidence is a little shaken in what I was hoping would be a really professionally put-together light. $64 USD is a lot of money for something that isn't made properly.

I recently ordered an H51fw and am still awaiting it's arrival from China. I can only hope that mine comes with a clean/clear dome, and gives off a full 164 lumens at H1 as advertised.

On another note, although (like some others) I would prefer the all-flood of the H501w I can understand why ZL decided to go with a less than perfect flood.

1. The XR-E LED (as seen in the H501) is better suited for wide flood than the XP-G, but doesn't have the lumen per mA capabilities of the XP-G (as featured in the H51).

2. Many users (I think Davidt1 may have been an influence here [not in any way saying it's a bad thing!] have appreciated the flood of the H501, but have wanted more throw. The H51fw allows what I believe the company must have decided was a good compromise between the two. It's brighter because it has a superior lamp, and it has more throw because although it has no "hotspot" as per se, the brightness level isn't continuous from 1 side of the beam to the other - it's still brightest in the center, giving it more throw. To have the kind of throw most users would like while retaining a perfect flood at a 80º or 90º angle, with current LED capabilities getting that out of a 1xAA light IMHO just isn't possible. You want to see a long way down a darkened path while cycling or down a long hallway when there might be bad guys lurking there? You need some kind of focused light. The tighter the focus, the greater the throw. That's why a lazer beam has the greatest throw - it's close to perfectly focused. No focus/all flood = limited throw. Sharp focus/great throw = little to no flood.

Also interesting to note that what's her name from ZL said that they tried to replicate the beam of the H501 using the XP-G lamp and they just couldn't get it to do the same thing. No matter what they did, it wouldn't produce the same beam. So, since they were using the XP-G they had to come up with a strategy to create flood using it. The "frosted" looking lens was what they decided on. I understand that they have plans, however, to incorporate Crees latest and greatest XM-L lamp in future lights, starting with a SC600. But before they can promise anything thorough testing must take place. My personal hope is for yet another 1xAA Hfw light, even brighter than its predecessors, and ideally with a perfect (non-diminishing, edge to edge) flood.

Written by davidt1 on 02-09-2011 09:44 AM GMT

+ for a NW XM-L emitter in an H501 body.

It is possible to have both throw and flood, though not in a small light yet. My dream light is something with this beam profile from an H501/H51 body:

http://www.dereelight.com/cl1hv4nohs.htm

mkd,

I have been wearing my ZL lights around my neck with great results for over a year now. The neck lanyard is also the headband. I use my H51w right from my chest about 80% of the time. When it must be used as a headlamp, it just move up to my head. Being able to store and use the light around my neck is the #1 reason I choose A Zebralight headlamp. Check out the "Zebralight Mods" in my signature for more information.

Written by tedh on 02-09-2011 12:19 PM GMT

If I remember correctly, the Dereelight CL1H V4-NOHS achieves that hotspot by blacking out the reflector; perhaps someone can confirm this? If so, I would think it possible to get a similar beam from a small light by painting over the reflector. Not sure if anyone has tackled an H51 disassembly. I think someone unscrewed the front of their Spark, however, so perhaps it's possible to get the beam profile in a small headlamp. The Spark doesn't seem very amenable to your neck carry method, though.

Ted
CL1H V4- NOHS

Written by Power_of_the_Sun on 02-09-2011 09:24 PM GMT

davidt1 said:
My dream light is something with this beam profile from an H501/H51 body:

http://www.dereelight.com/cl1hv4nohs.htm
+1 on that, David! +1 on that, David!

The only beam profile I know that comes close in a small EDC is the Dorcy 41-4224 1xAAA flashlight. Granted, it is alot less bright. The 41-4224 is my EDC, and I've always wanted a brighter light with similar beam profile. In some ways, I actually prefer it to flood, because it allows you to direct the even beam pattern more particularly. Useful in situations like navigating a movie theatre aisle without annoying fellow movie-goers with spill. I've used the Dorcy all over the world now. 5.5 hours on a single AAA. 14-16 lumens. It's not pretty, but it works well for me.

Written by KarstGhost on 02-11-2011 03:28 PM GMT

I'm having some runtime problems with my H51w. On a caving trip the other day the light was dropping down from the 86 lumen mode after about 45 mins. It is advertised at 2.4 hours for that mode. After three battery changes I finally just kept it at the 26 lumen mode. I know Zebralight did their test with Eneloops, I was using brand new Energizer lithiums. Could that cause that much of a difference? I'll admit I know very little about batteries.

Written by Bolster on 02-11-2011 06:18 PM GMT

davidt1 said:
My dream light is something with this beam profile from an H501/H51 body...
Wow that would be nice. While we're on the subject of headlamps that have a "NHS" (no hot spot) beam, I recall the 3xAAA Mammut Lucido TR1 had that sort of beam, although it was elongated horizontally. I remember being surprised its beam was so much nicer than the other 3xAAA offerings at REI. Wish I could find a beamshot of it. Wow that would be nice. While we're on the subject of headlamps that have a "NHS" (no hot spot) beam, I recall the 3xAAA Mammut Lucido TR1 had that sort of beam, although it was elongated horizontally. I remember being surprised its beam was so much nicer than the other 3xAAA offerings at REI. Wish I could find a beamshot of it.

Written by B0wz3r on 02-11-2011 09:22 PM GMT

KarstGhost said:
I'm having some runtime problems with my H51w. On a caving trip the other day the light was dropping down from the 86 lumen mode after about 45 mins. It is advertised at 2.4 hours for that mode. After three battery changes I finally just kept it at the 26 lumen mode. I know Zebralight did their test with Eneloops, I was using brand new Energizer lithiums. Could that cause that much of a difference? I'll admit I know very little about batteries.
No... on L91's you should get more run time than with an Eneloop. Though it's not advertised, I've read on threads here before that the ultimate lithiums have an equivalent of nearly 3000 milli-amp hours in them, so they should outlast an eneloop. No... on L91's you should get more run time than with an Eneloop. Though it's not advertised, I've read on threads here before that the ultimate lithiums have an equivalent of nearly 3000 milli-amp hours in them, so they should outlast an eneloop.

I went on a weekend trip to Yosemite just this past weekend with my wife and used my H51w as my primary light the whole time, starting the trip with an ultimate lithium in it, and it's still going strong.

Do some objective tests first... get a timer and put your light in a glass of water to keep it cool, and see how much run time you get out of an ultimate lithium and an eneloop. If you don't get a solid 2 hours on high out of the ultimate lithium, your light most likely has an issue and should be warrantied.

Written by MountainVoyageur on 02-13-2011 02:43 AM GMT

What is the story on the cloudy domes? Was it just some of the original shipments, or does it continue to be an issue? How serious is the issue?

--MV

Written by Lite_me on 02-13-2011 12:39 PM GMT

I just ordered and received a H51w. It arrived from TX. I ask in my order that they check the LED. It came centered and cloud free. With anice neutral tint too.

Written by B0wz3r on 02-13-2011 12:58 PM GMT

Lite_me said:
I just ordered and received a H51w. It arrived from TX. I ask in my order that they check the LED. It came centered and cloud free. With a nice neutral tint too.
Same for me; shipped from TX and the dome is clear of any clouding or glue or anything on it. Same for me; shipped from TX and the dome is clear of any clouding or glue or anything on it.

Written by flasherByNight on 02-16-2011 08:26 PM GMT

can't find the 51W in stock anywhere :/

Written by davidt1 on 02-17-2011 10:55 AM GMT

flasherByNight said:
Zebralight might have it even though their website says otherwise. Zebralight might have it even though their website says otherwise.

Written by davidt1 on 02-17-2011 11:09 AM GMT

flasherByNight said:
Sorry for duplicate post. Sorry for duplicate post.

Written by pelotonjon on 02-17-2011 11:11 AM GMT

Lots of great info on this light. I have been thinking of grabbing one for a while.

Written by mellowman on 02-17-2011 02:08 PM GMT

I don't think ZL has them in-stock as my replacements are going to be shipped from China. Well, I guess you can order from ZL just don't expect shipping from TX for now.

Written by flasherByNight on 02-17-2011 07:07 PM GMT

I emailed ZL, theyre getting new ones "next week"

Written by mellowman on 02-17-2011 07:41 PM GMT

flasherByNight said:
I emailed ZL, theyre getting new ones "next week"
Funny, mine are supposed to ship from China next week. Funny, mine are supposed to ship from China next week.

Given that two of them are b-day gifts to be given less than a month from now I probably won't get them in time.

Edit: Asked ZL if I could get it sooner and they said ok and will ship from TX when they come in so I'll probably get them in time. Thanks ZL. :thumbsup:

Written by flasherByNight on 02-17-2011 10:05 PM GMT

I took a bit of a gamble as i'm under a time crunch and ordered from high mountain outfitters...never heard of em (decent prices, free shipping and most importantly in stock). My googlefu came up with a few positive reviews, but nothing else. Here goes nothing... *crosses fingers

Written by Power_of_the_Sun on 02-18-2011 05:45 AM GMT

Just got my H51fw today. Mine arrived from China.

Intial thoughts

- inside chamber, and negative battery terminal connection (spring area) seemed a little less clean than I was expecting, but it could have just been the excess lubrication that came with it

- threads felt a little rough (like they needed to be cleaned, but all I had to clean them was a Q-tip...sorry guys, I'm not as hardcore into flashlight prep as most of you...I just like to be able to take them out of the box and use them); threads were very well lubed, though

- w/battery it's heavier than I expected

- frosted lens looks/seems more frosted around edges than in centre (in fact, in L2 mode when looking directly into the lens, I can see a distinct squarish looking area that's a lot more translucent looking - surrounding it is a yellow ring, and on the outside of the ring the white looking area of the orange peel reflector may be distinctly seen)

I am a little disappointed by the brightness of H1 mode - sorta hoped it would seem a little brighter. It's the diffusing that's deceptive. I'm sure it's as advertised, though. It's brighter than my LLH7 with ceiling bounce test, which on Max is rated at 149 lumens, and is a really decent headlamp.

The color is A LOT warmer than I expected. I was sort of expecting a tint like the Q5 in my iTP A3 EOS Upgraded, which, compared to the Nitecore D11 I had was quite warm. Well, the warmth on the tint on the H51w is in a whole other category! "Neutral" white! Compared to the iTP it's yellow! If my iTP mimicks moonlite, the H51fw comes closer to mimicking sunlight. Or a low-wattage incandescent. It's a very pleasant beam, I'm just wishing it was brighter, or more focussed without hotspot as seen in the Deerelight previously mentioned in this thread.

Written by Power_of_the_Sun on 02-18-2011 07:39 AM GMT

Intial Shots of H51fw

Frosted Lens
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/806/headcloseup.jpg/

Spring area and threads
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/413/screwc.jpg/

Inside Chamber and threads
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/840/insidebarrel.jpg/

1000% price mark-up! (if declared value is accurate)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/253/thousandpercentmarkup.jpg/

Trying out various uses:

Clip in reversed position (allows it to clip on to belt or pocket with head in upright position)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/576/fliptheswitch.jpg/

Clipped on to belt in upright position
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/684/onbelt.jpg/

Also, before I received it and actually tried it out, I had imagined I would be able to primarily use the H51fw while holding it upright in a punching position (no pics...sorry). Because the lens area is so large, both fingers directly under it interfere a little with the light coming out. My index finger partially interferes with the actual beam, and my middle finger interferes with the spill that would otherwise light up my feet. In order to receive the full flood & spill benefits from the beam, the best way (unfortunately for me) seems to be by holding it in ready-to-mace-someone position, meaning you are using, not your thumb, but your index finger to activate the button at the top. In my opinion, this is not a great position, ergonomincally, for lengthy use. Temporary - fine. But long-term, taking into account it's weight with the rechargeable installed, I would say this little light is better suited for use attached to a pocket, belt, strap, or harnessed to the headband that comes with it, rather than for hand-held use.
If you want a hand-held Zebralight FW AA, get the SC51Fw AA. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to use it in both regular carry (i.e. suitcase carrying) and tactical (i.e. fist-beating-on-a-door) positions (the 1st activated by the thumb, the 2nd by the pinky).

My initial keenest interest in the H51, was the fact that it seemed so ergonomically suited to long-term hand-carrying. My fist wouldn't have to face the ground (regular/suitcase position, which has never seemed to be a very good elevation for clear object identification), nor the sky (tactical position, which over time gives me a sore arm). Instead, it would basically face in front of me, meaning less effort and more comfort, ie. ergonomic. Sadly, due to the fact that I would like to make full use of the beam profile, this is not the case. It may be with the H501 (I've never used one, so I wouldn't know from personal experience), but definitely not with the H51. But as a headlamp, and for other attached/hanging purposes, I'm sure it works great.

Written by bapski on 02-18-2011 09:15 AM GMT

wonder how this beaut will fair against a FENIX HP10.

am in search for a general purpose headlamp but looking for something that can also do more if need be... e.g. snowblowing, working in the garage, ....

JA(me)S

Enlightened

Written by Thefo on 02-18-2011 11:17 AM GMT

gsimon said:

1. Yes, but i have a big mouth. (i'll spare you picture of that) I wouldnt want to hold it in my mouth for a long time though. Clipping it onto my shirt collar works good too.

2. No problems with accidental activation in the H51 because the button points down, but I cant speak for the sc51. I could see that being a potential issue, but who knows.

3. Yes, the clip allows it to lay flat and "tail-stand"

4. It's not slippery at all in my opinion. Knurling on he tail cap and the grooves on the head give plenty of grip. The clip also gives you grip.

5. The clip is reversible, but not designed to be. Reversing it doesn't really give you and advantage other than holding the light 2 inches above you belt as opposed to 2 inches below it. (Reversing it only grabs about an inch anyway on a belt) It wouldnt be practical to carry it that way either because it would stick out of your pocket. The groove you see in the pictures is the only groove you can mount the clip too.

+1 I just got my H51 this week and I'm just blown away by the UI and the utility factor of this light....it's really versatile! The new pocket clip is way better than the previous rubber slide on one too. +1 I just got my H51 this week and I'm just blown away by the UI and the utility factor of this light....it's really versatile! The new pocket clip is way better than the previous rubber slide on one too.

Zebralight H51fw Beam Profile
Written by Power_of_the_Sun on 02-19-2011 02:42 AM GMT

Some people have been begging for a beam profile shot of the H51fw.

I thought I'd share one.

For beam shot comparison, I 1st show a beam shot of the iTP A3 EOS Upgraded on 3rd (Max) setting. The 3rd level of the iTP is supposed to be around 80 lumens. The iTP has a noticable hotspot, and a LOT of spill. The Zebralight H51fw is used on H1 (Max) setting, which is supposed to be around 164 lumens.

http://www.imagehousing.com/

I held each flashlight in my left hand approximately 3 meters (9.84 feet) from the approximate centre point of the beam profile on the corrugated iron roof.

I held the camera further behind and at a lower elevation than the flashlights were being held. Both beam profile shots were taken with camera from approximately 3.4 meters (11.15 feet) away.

Both beam profile shots should NOT take into account brightness too much, as the purpose of presenting them is to show the profile, and not the luminosity. I only had a little point-and-shoot camera to take these with (Nikon Coolpix 5600), so shutter speed and F stop are NOT listed.

iTP:

2gv925j.jpg

H51fw:

2dbnzev.jpg

As you can see, there is still a hotspot, though it is less defined, and seamlessly fades out to the edges.

Re: Zebralight H51fw Beam Profile
Written by Gregozedobe on 02-19-2011 06:47 AM GMT

For those that have been wondering about which ZL AA-powered light to buy for what purpose, here are my opinions on some of them.

Note that I am a cool white LED fan, so you'll have to make up your own mind on the cool white vs neutral white choice. I have noticed that some of my ZL XP-G leds are slightly green compared with the "whiter" ones (but not to the point where it is an issue for me, unlike some Quarks I've had and traded).

I have owned these lights for a minimum of 3 weeks now (some for much longer), and have tried them out for various purposes. Sorry, I don't have the technology (nor the inclination) to take beamshots and post photos, but will answer reasonable questions where I can.

H501 headlamp that excels for reading, paintwork inspection (cars), or anything requiring even, wide angle illumination (mostly fairly close up work, as it has very little throw). I'm actually thinking about buying another so I have a spare - this is my favourite of the several dozen lights I have.

H51F headlamp that is good as a general "camp light" or work lamp where you need to use both hands, OK for reading on the lower settings, but not quite as good for reading as the H501 (but definitely more versatile due to having some throw).

H51 headlamp (or 90 degree flashlight) ideal for walking the dogs at night (so I have both hands free for leads etc). The beam on this (and the SC51) is a pretty typical "floody" XP-G with a large hotspot and fairly wide spill, but not a huge amount of throw. Certainly good enough to both see where you are going and also what is in your general vicinity. I have tried it as a handheld light, but prefer the SC51 for that useage (it just seems awkward, whatever position I held it in).

SC51 conventional flashlight with the same beam as the H51 (current most frequent usage is search and destroy missions killing the multitude of snails and slugs consuming our vegetable garden)

I also have an (older) SC30 and an SC60 if you want comparisons with them.

Hope that helps.

Written by applevision on 02-21-2011 06:27 AM GMT

Thank you,Gregozedobe!

This kind of real-world comparison is incredibly helpful. Fantastic!

Written by k594 on 02-21-2011 09:52 AM GMT

Gregozedobe said:
For those that have been wondering about which ZL AA-powered light to buy for what purpose, here are my opinions on some of them.

Note that I am a cool white LED fan, so you'll have to make up your own mind on the cool white vs neutral white choice. I have noticed that some of my ZL XP-G leds are slightly green compared with the "whiter" ones (but not to the point where it is an issue for me, unlike some Quarks I've had and traded).

I have owned these lights for a minimum of 3 weeks now (some for much longer), and have tried them out for various purposes. Sorry, I don't have the technology (nor the inclination) to take beamshots and post photos, but will answer reasonable questions where I can.

H501 headlamp that excels for reading, paintwork inspection (cars), or anything requiring even, wide angle illumination (mostly fairly close up work, as it has very little throw). I'm actually thinking about buying another so I have a spare - this is my favourite of the several dozen lights I have.

H51F headlamp that is good as a general "camp light" or work lamp where you need to use both hands, OK for reading on the lower settings, but not quite as good for reading as the H501 (but definitely more versatile due to having some throw).

H51 headlamp (or 90 degree flashlight) ideal for walking the dogs at night (so I have both hands free for leads etc). The beam on this (and the SC51) is a pretty typical "floody" XP-G with a large hotspot and fairly wide spill, but not a huge amount of throw. Certainly good enough to both see where you are going and also what is in your general vicinity. I have tried it as a handheld light, but prefer the SC51 for that useage (it just seems awkward, whatever position I held it in).

SC51 conventional flashlight with the same beam as the H51 (current most frequent usage is search and destroy missions killing the multitude of snails and slugs consuming our vegetable garden)

I also have an (older) SC30 and an SC60 if you want comparisons with them.

Hope that helps.
thanks for this! thanks for this!

Written by GadgetGeek on 02-21-2011 11:04 AM GMT

Gregozedobe said:
If there was a list of "must have headlamps" the H501 would definitely be near the top. If there was a list of "must have headlamps" the H501 would definitely be near the top.

There is nothing quite like it for close-up work. :)

On another note my ZL order should arrive tomorrow!

Written by Mikellen on 02-21-2011 02:11 PM GMT

GadgetGeek said:
If there was a list of "must have headlamps" the H501 would definitely be near the top.

There is nothing quite like it for close-up work. :)

On another note my ZL order should arrive tomorrow!
I couldn't decide between the cool Q5 LED or the neutral Q3 so I bought one of each. I couldn't decide between the cool Q5 LED or the neutral Q3 so I bought one of each.

Waiting for them to arrive from Zebralight. I live here in the U.S. so I hope they will ship from there Irving, Texas location and not China.

Written by davidt1 on 02-21-2011 02:20 PM GMT

Mikellen said:
I couldn't decide between the cool Q5 LED or the neutral Q3 so I bought one of each.

Waiting for them to arrive from Zebralight. I live here in the U.S. so I hope they will ship from there Irving, Texas location and not China.
I have the cool H501 for 2 years now. I have become a NW convert since I got the H51w. Let us know what you think when you get the lights. Hopefully, Zebralight realizes the H501 is still a popular light and will continue to improve it. I have the cool H501 for 2 years now. I have become a NW convert since I got the H51w. Let us know what you think when you get the lights. Hopefully, Zebralight realizes the H501 is still a popular light and will continue to improve it.

Written by Mikellen on 02-21-2011 02:41 PM GMT

davidt1 said:
I have the cool H501 for 2 years now. I have become a NW convert since I got the H51w. Let us know what you think when you get the lights. Hopefully, Zebralight realizes the H501 is still a popular light and will continue to improve it.
I definitely prefer a neutral tint but for some reason I feel the cooler tint on the H501 will allow me to see more on medium mode than the neutral on medium. I feel I might be able to use medium on the cool H501 whereas I might have to bump it on high with the neutral H501. I don't know if this is true or not that's why I bought both to compare. I definitely prefer a neutral tint but for some reason I feel the cooler tint on the H501 will allow me to see more on medium mode than the neutral on medium. I feel I might be able to use medium on the cool H501 whereas I might have to bump it on high with the neutral H501. I don't know if this is true or not that's why I bought both to compare.

I also think that with an all flood light the cooler tint isn't as harsh as a cooler tinted standard beamed flashlight.

Written by Lite_me on 02-21-2011 06:08 PM GMT

Mikellen said:
I definitely prefer a neutral tint but for some reason I feel the cooler tint on the H501 will allow me to see more on medium mode than the neutral on medium. I feel I might be able to use medium on the cool H501 whereas I might have to bump it on high with the neutral H501. I don't know if this is true or not that's why I bought both to compare.

I also think that with an all flood light the cooler tint isn't as harsh as a cooler tinted standard beamed flashlight.
+1 on this. +1 on this.

Written by DimLite on 02-21-2011 08:02 PM GMT

Gregozedobe,

Thanks for sharing your observations - very helpful information.

I'm still trying to get a handle on the usefulness of the H51F compared to the H51.

Could you comment on the maximum distance at which each enables you to identify objects.

Thanks.

Written by Bolster on 02-21-2011 08:19 PM GMT

GadgetGeek said:
If there was a list of "must have headlamps" the H501 would definitely be near the top.
I'm contemplating the purchase of my...THIRD! I'd like to branch out a little bit but there's nothing out there right now that can do what the H501 can do, so...whatcha gonna do...? I'm contemplating the purchase of my...THIRD! I'd like to branch out a little bit but there's nothing out there right now that can do what the H501 can do, so...whatcha gonna do...?

Written by k594 on 02-21-2011 09:19 PM GMT

Bolster said:
I'm contemplating the purchase of my...THIRD! I'd like to branch out a little bit but there's nothing out there right now that can do what the H501 can do, so...whatcha gonna do...?
all the praise on these lamps has swayed me to buy one.. sounds to be exactly what i need all the praise on these lamps has swayed me to buy one.. sounds to be exactly what i need

Written by GadgetGeek on 02-21-2011 10:26 PM GMT

Bolster said:
I'm contemplating the purchase of my...THIRD! I'd like to branch out a little bit but there's nothing out there right now that can do what the H501 can do, so...whatcha gonna do...?
I bought the cool white first. A warm should arrive tomorrow. After I compare the two I'll order a I bought the cool white first. A warm should arrive tomorrow. After I compare the two I'll order a third to have a spare of the one I like most. :duh2:

Tomorrow the H501w is arriving with a H51w and a H51fw! :sick2:

Written by Gregozedobe on 02-22-2011 07:48 AM GMT

DimLite said:
I'm still trying to get a handle on the usefulness of the H51F compared to the H51.

Could you comment on the maximum distance at which each enables you to identify objects.
A lot depends on the difference in colour and contrast differences between what you are trying to identify compared with what the background is (light subject vs dark background can be distinguished much further away than dark on dark or light on light). A lot depends on the difference in colour and contrast differences between what you are trying to identify compared with what the background is (light subject vs dark background can be distinguished much further away than dark on dark or light on light).

Ambient light during comparison - suburbia, not much direct street or house lighting, fairly pale moonlight (1/4 moon, medium cloud cover), so you would get better performance in really dark conditions. Both lights on H1 (max).

H51F up to 10 metres you can see anything, but light object against a dark background I can see about 28-30 meters.

H51 Much further (can't pace full distance as it goes way past my backyard, so estimates only). Full details up to 20 metres, light against dark probably about 60-80 metres. So approximately twice as far as the H51F (but with a correspondingly smaller field of view for both the brighter hotspot and the less illuminated flood).

Hope that helps.

Written by moochoo on 02-22-2011 01:05 PM GMT

Gregozedobe said:
Thanks for the advice you helped me make up my mind! Thanks for the advice you helped me make up my mind!

Written by DimLite on 02-22-2011 06:48 PM GMT

Gregozedobe said:
A lot depends on the difference in colour and contrast differences between what you are trying to identify compared with what the background is (light subject vs dark background can be distinguished much further away than dark on dark or light on light).

Ambient light during comparison - suburbia, not much direct street or house lighting, fairly pale moonlight (1/4 moon, medium cloud cover), so you would get better performance in really dark conditions. Both lights on H1 (max).

H51F up to 10 metres you can see anything, but light object against a dark background I can see about 28-30 meters.

H51 Much further (can't pace full distance as it goes way past my backyard, so estimates only). Full details up to 20 metres, light against dark probably about 60-80 metres. So approximately twice as far as the H51F (but with a correspondingly smaller field of view for both the brighter hotspot and the less illuminated flood).

Hope that helps.

Gregozedobe - - It definitely helps!

Thank you for taking the time to actually measure the throw of these two, and to provide the details. This is exactly the type of information I was seeking.

Now I have to see where these two are relative to the performance parameters of my other headlamps and I'll be able to determine which I need.

Thanks again.

Written by pjandyho on 02-24-2011 08:14 AM GMT

I have been playing with my new H51Fw and here are some of my observations. The frosted glass works in diffusing the beam to a certain extend but in my opinion it is not very well diffused. It seems like Zebralight couldn't even bother to sand blast the glass to give it a much more smoother diffusion. All they did was stick a piece of diffusion tape behind the glass. Crappy workmanship I would say. My Surefire F04 diffuser works much better in diffusing light than what the diffusion glass on the H51Fw could do. Considering these lights are made in China, how much cost really does it take to sand blast the glass?

Written by B0wz3r on 02-24-2011 09:14 AM GMT

PJ, so the outside surface of the lens is smooth? Is that why you think it's just got some diffusing material stuck on the inside of the lens? How clear is it; can you get any kind of reasonable look at the emitter and reflector inside?

I like my regular H51w but it's not the best for up-close situations like reading, so I'm planning on getting an Fw, so any more info you can pass along is appreciated.

Written by pjandyho on 02-24-2011 09:55 AM GMT

B0wz3r said:
PJ, so the outside surface of the lens is smooth? Is that why you think it's just got some diffusing material stuck on the inside of the lens? How clear is it; can you get any kind of reasonable look at the emitter and reflector inside?

I like my regular H51w but it's not the best for up-close situations like reading, so I'm planning on getting an Fw, so any more info you can pass along is appreciated.
I can't see the emitter and I think this shot of how the frosted lens was done need no further explanation. Very sloppily done in my opinion. I can't see the emitter and I think this shot of how the frosted lens was done need no further explanation. Very sloppily done in my opinion.

AP1_0571.jpg

Written by Bolster on 02-24-2011 05:55 PM GMT

Seriously?!? The H51F just uses diffusion tape behind the lens? Not bead blasted?

Say it ain't so!

Written by GadgetGeek on 02-24-2011 06:44 PM GMT

pjandyho said:
I can't see the emitter and I think this shot of how the frosted lens was done need no further explanation. Very sloppily done in my opinion.

AP1_0571.jpg
Pjandyho, I'm trying to figure out what those little white spots are. My H51Fw looks nothing like that, there are no spots. I am away from home now but I'll try and post a picture on Monday to show you what mine looks like. Pjandyho, I'm trying to figure out what those little white spots are. My H51Fw looks nothing like that, there are no spots. I am away from home now but I'll try and post a picture on Monday to show you what mine looks like.

Written by pjandyho on 02-24-2011 07:07 PM GMT

GadgetGeek said:
Pjandyho, I'm trying to figure out what those little white spots are. My H51Fw looks nothing like that, there are no spots. I am away from home now but I'll try and post a picture on Monday to show you what mine looks like.
I too have been trying to figure out what those spots are. The more I look at it the more it looks like a sticker they stuck on the lens to prevent the light from being too bright on the spill. Notice the centre is clear while the sides contains all the white dots? From what I see, the white dots look more like perforations on the sticker to allow light to pass through. I too have been trying to figure out what those spots are. The more I look at it the more it looks like a sticker they stuck on the lens to prevent the light from being too bright on the spill. Notice the centre is clear while the sides contains all the white dots? From what I see, the white dots look more like perforations on the sticker to allow light to pass through.

Written by GadgetGeek on 02-24-2011 07:24 PM GMT

pjandyho said:
I too have been trying to figure out what those spots are. The more I look at it the more it looks like a sticker they stuck on the lens to prevent the light from being too bright on the spill. Notice the centre is clear while the sides contains all the white dots? From what I see, the white dots look more like perforations on the sticker to allow light to pass through.
I'm just guessing but it does look like some kind of maybe vinyl or plastic diffusing material. Mine is definitely different though, received it two days ago. I wonder if there was a revision and there are two versions?? You'll see what I mean when I post a pic. I'm just guessing but it does look like some kind of maybe vinyl or plastic diffusing material. Mine is definitely different though, received it two days ago. I wonder if there was a revision and there are two versions?? You'll see what I mean when I post a pic.

Written by B0wz3r on 02-24-2011 09:20 PM GMT

Wow, what a drag... I guess I'll stick with scotch tape for now... At least I can remove it when I want, even if it is kinda messy to do so.

Written by pjandyho on 02-24-2011 10:17 PM GMT

GadgetGeek said:
I'm just guessing but it does look like some kind of maybe vinyl or plastic diffusing material. Mine is definitely different though, received it two days ago. I wonder if there was a revision and there are two versions?? You'll see what I mean when I post a pic.
A pic would be great! Thanks in advance! A pic would be great! Thanks in advance!

Written by pjandyho on 02-24-2011 10:19 PM GMT

B0wz3r said:
Wow, what a drag... I guess I'll stick with scotch tape for now... At least I can remove it when I want, even if it is kinda messy to do so.
It is not so bad. The flood is still nice but I am wondering if the film isn't pasted on the lens would I get a more even flood? I would really love to see a photo from GadgetGeek before deciding if I should contact Lillian. It is not so bad. The flood is still nice but I am wondering if the film isn't pasted on the lens would I get a more even flood? I would really love to see a photo from GadgetGeek before deciding if I should contact Lillian.

Written by B0wz3r on Yesterday 01:12 AM GMT

Keep us posted on what you guys find out. I'm definitely interested in buying one, and while this news has maybe put me off a little, I'm thinking it might not be too big of a deal. For now though I think I'll PM Phaserburn to ask about the diffuser material he's selling and try that. It might even be better that way, because I could have the diffusion only when I want, and take it off for the regular hotspot beam again when needed.

Written by Mikellen on Yesterday 08:43 AM GMT

B0wz3r said:
Keep us posted on what you guys find out. I'm definitely interested in buying one, and while this news has maybe put me off a little, I'm thinking it might not be too big of a deal. For now though I think I'll PM Phaserburn to ask about the diffuser material he's selling and try that. It might even be better that way, because I could have the diffusion only when I want, and take it off for the regular hotspot beam again when needed.
I recently purchased both the H51W & H51FW to compare them. I placed the diffusing material on the H51W and decided to keep it on. I sold the H51FW because I like the H51W and diffusing material combination better than the H51FW. The H51FW was a little more floody but I preferred the beam characteristics of the H51W & diffusing material. I recently purchased both the H51W & H51FW to compare them. I placed the diffusing material on the H51W and decided to keep it on. I sold the H51FW because I like the H51W and diffusing material combination better than the H51FW. The H51FW was a little more floody but I preferred the beam characteristics of the H51W & diffusing material.

Written by Power_of_the_Sun on Yesterday 03:19 PM GMT

GadgetGeek said:
Pjandyho, I'm trying to figure out what those little white spots are. My H51Fw looks nothing like that, there are no spots.
+1 to that GadgetGeek. +1 to that GadgetGeek.

Here a shot of mine:

5559qh.jpg

Orange peel reflector with diffusion glass (same kind used on bathroom windows). Noticable squarish space in centre between LED and reflector.

I think pjandyho might have got an imitation. I ordered mine direct off the ZL website. What he has is definately not what I got...

JA(me)S

Enlightened

Written by Bolster on Yesterday 03:44 PM GMT

Interesting. POTS appears (?) to have a sand/bead blasted lens (?). Maybe revisions at the factory to get the beam to flood? Honestly I can't tell from the photos.

Written by GadgetGeek on Yesterday 06:13 PM GMT

I was able to grab my camera before I went away for the weekend. Mine looks just likePower of the Suns.

crop1s.jpg

crop3b.jpg

crop6d.jpg

Written by pjandyho on Yesterday 09:07 PM GMT

Power_of_the_Sun said:
+1 to that GadgetGeek.

Here a shot of mine:

5559qh.jpg

Orange peel reflector with diffusion glass (same kind used on bathroom windows). Noticable squarish space in centre between LED and reflector.

I think pjandyho might have got an imitation. I ordered mine direct off the ZL website. What he has is definately not what I got...
I got mine direct from ZL's website too. You could only detect the film easily when you turn on the light in low mode. When it is in low power, rotate it to an angle and try to see if you spot the same film as what I have seen. If I view the light without switching it on it is hard to see the film. I used low power because there's no way I can look at it on medium or high without blinding myself. I got mine direct from ZL's website too. You could only detect the film easily when you turn on the light in low mode. When it is in low power, rotate it to an angle and try to see if you spot the same film as what I have seen. If I view the light without switching it on it is hard to see the film. I used low power because there's no way I can look at it on medium or high without blinding myself.

Written by pjandyho on Yesterday 09:09 PM GMT

GadgetGeek said:
I was able to grab my camera before I went away for the weekend. Mine looks just like Power of the Suns.

crop1s.jpg

crop3b.jpg

crop6d.jpg
Yours definitely look good. Yours definitely look good.

Written by GadgetGeek on Unknown

pjandyho said:
Yours definitely look good.
I took a lot of shots to try and capture what it looks like. I took a lot of shots to try and capture what it looks like.

I'm still not sure how they achieve "frosted".

I can't tell if they added a diffusing material or if the lens is bead blasted...

Above are all cached posts from November 2 2010 through to the end of February 2011.
This represents original posts sequentially from #380 - 545.
No information was lost in this thread when the lights went out at CPF.

Last edited:

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Written by GadgetGeek on Unknown

I took a lot of shots to try and capture what it looks like.

I'm still not sure how they achieve "frosted".

I can't tell if they added a diffusing material or if the lens is bead blasted...
Zebralight's site now has this picture entitled "ZebraLightGroundGlass" in the H51F product description (and other F variants)...

- Jas.

zebralightgroundglass.jpg

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like they remove the frosted lens to show the inside a little. It's nothing like the H501.

JA(me)S

Enlightened
To let subscribers of this thread know (in case you haven't yet seen it elsewhere):

The high CRI H51c and H51Fc are now available for pre-order (shipping in mid-June). These lights feature a Philips LUXEON Rebel (Typical CRI: 85, Norminal CCT: 4200K)

Also, the H51r (& H31r) featuring a XP-E red LED will be released in late June.

:thumbsup: - Jas.

hazna

Enlightened
I got a shipping notice for my H51c! Unfortunately seems to be sent via china post. China post always seems to take longer than from other countries

JA(me)S

Enlightened
The H51c is high on my list - but my H51w is so good, it's hard to justify... but he's bound to end up needing a brother to keep him company... Keep us posted - pics would be most appreciated!

- Jas.

PayBack

Enlightened

For me, having my tools with me when I need them is more important. That means I need small tools I can carry on my person.

Lol it's interesting reading this 5 minutes after yet another iPad owner sees my 7" Galaxy Tab and says "oh yes, I have an iPad at home"

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lost my H501 a few weeks ago, along with a homemade pen screwdriver that took me weeks to put together. The H501 is replaceable. All it takes is money. The pen screw driver is not :mad:. Anyway, I still have my H51W.

Used it to clean the throttle of my engine outside in the middle of the day. It's amazing how dark some deep crevices can be even if the sun is shining in the middle of the day.
IMG_6801.jpg

The neutral beam of the H51w shows the inside of the throttle clearly with good contrast and details.
IMG_6803.jpg

The reason I lost the H501 was because I dropped in the bottom of a side cargo pocket which didn't have a closure mechanism on top. OK the real reason is I was careless. So don't be careless with your ZL lights like I was.

Last edited:

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
David - I had a similar situation today the ZL would have come in handy if I had one! I'm thinking about the H51 myself (just posted in a seperate thread) the main decision now is just between all the variants. I see the W or C version would come in handy for identifying particular colors of things like liquid leaks or stains/discolorations.

I was working on our car with my trusty craftsman 19.2V flourescent but its to bulky to get anywhere near where I needed it. The small ZL with a magnet mod on the tailcap would have been perfect... I need to get one! The craftsman flourescent lights up an area nicely but small and nimble it is not!

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I left mine in a cargo pocket where I also had the legs (removable) stored and didn't notice that it was in there and I threw it in the washing machine. I realized my mistake about 5 minutes later.

All I can say is that Zebralights must be reasonable waterproof as it was perfectly dry (inside).

jamjam

Newly Enlightened
I have a question regarding H51/H51w low battery voltage behavior. When the battery in my H51w are close to depleted, it started to exhibit a very subtle flickering, not strobe or PWM, but a visible subtle flickering. On L1 mode, it will continue in this status for few hours before the battery drained completely. All my other lights do not exhibit this behavior, so I am curious if this is normal for Zebralight especially H51 series.

My Klaurs and Fenix will just step down to a lower level when voltage are low, and continue to run on even lower mode before a total shutdown, but nothing like what the H51w did. If this was part of the circuit design to protect NIMH battery from over-discharge by warning the user, I am curious if you guys think that the flickering are really distracting? Do the new SC600 also behave the same?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a question regarding H51/H51w low battery voltage behavior. When the battery in my H51w are close to depleted, it started to exhibit a very subtle flickering, not strobe or PWM, but a visible subtle flickering. On L1 mode, it will continue in this status for few hours before the battery drained completely. All my other lights do not exhibit this behavior, so I am curious if this is normal for Zebralight especially H51 series.

My Klaurs and Fenix will just step down to a lower level when voltage are low, and continue to run on even lower mode before a total shutdown, but nothing like what the H51w did. If this was part of the circuit design to protect NIMH battery from over-discharge by warning the user, I am curious if you guys think that the flickering are really distracting? Do the new SC600 also behave the same?

I haven't noticed anything like that. Mine just toggles between med and low rather than hi med and low once the battery is mostly depleted.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
My H501 usually just steps down to Med from Hi when the battery is getting down, but sometimes it does a noticeable flickering thing (almost like a strobe). Put a fresh (charged) NiMh in and away it goes again.