Zebralight H51

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Zebralight H51 details/preorder!!!

Glad to be of any help, but I was just sharing my excitement :D

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

nekomane, you da bomb, thanks for running the experiment. looks like the mod just reduces the brightness of the hotspot without adding much flood at all. i might be waiting for the h51f to come out to see how the beam compares to the h51. i remember reading somewhere that the h51 was going to have a frosted lens, i wonder if they will be able to pull off a beam as floody but brighter than the h501 using just that. dying to see it. thanks again, and sweet pics and description, you're making me think i should get the h51 now, and nab the h51f too if and when that comes out.

That's a good idea.

grunt soldier

Newly Enlightened

i bought one of these after i got the close out model cr123 version. the 200 lumens is awesome. this is by far my new favorite head lamp. anyways i really just wanted to say to the above poster thanks a ton for showing that mod diffuser. i am definitely going to try that

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast

i bought one of these after i got the close out model cr123 version. the 200 lumens is awesome. this is by far my new favorite head lamp. anyways i really just wanted to say to the above poster thanks a ton for showing that mod diffuser. i am definitely going to try that

You'll have to find a way to secure the diffuser to the lens. I just balanced it while taking the photos. Using some double-sided tape might work, and may even add a bit more to the flood?

Oh, and welcome to CPF :)

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do you notice a big difference in brightness between 200lm and 140lm?

Yes, I can clearly see the difference when using Eneloops.

I also tried using a partially used Energizer Lithium, but the 2 levels on High looked the same.
In fact, double clicking on High did not change the brightness at all. The Low and Med worked OK.
Has anyone been reporting this? Is it an issue? I do remember reading somewhere that the H51 is designed for use with Eneloops.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I asked Zebralight to sell me an H51 with a strobe mode, and I received this email from them:

Ticket status: Completed

Department: General

Subject: Requesting strobe mode on H51

There will be something new coming (that's all I can say at this moment) that will answer your question.

Sincerely,

Lillian Xu
ZebraLight, Inc.
8320 Sterling Street
Irving, TX 75063

I love a mystery. It guess it will be something with emergency modes.

But what is it?

Harry999

Enlightened

davidt1,

It will probably be something well worth getting! :)

Trancersteve

Newly Enlightened

Great posts nekomane! We need more of these.. and just more feedback!

There is a worrying lack of posts in this thread of opinions/beamshots/reviews of the H51, this is a ground breaking light if the specs are true achieving 200 OTF lumens with a single AA cell.
But this thread is hardly buzzing with the activity I would expect ......... :fail:

Many people that have placed an order for a H51 should have it in their hands by now.

So come on stop being shy! Tell us what you think! :poke:

Last edited:

Sarlix

Enlightened

I agree with Trancersteve, the lack of info on the H51 seems odd. Even a google search doesn't produce much, at least not in English anyway. I think I am going to take a plunge and pick up a H51 this week. If/when I do I will report back with my thoughts and hopefully pictures!

qtaco

Newly Enlightened

Well I don't want to repeat myself or sound like a shill, but the H51 is the nicest AA light I've ever had. A class leading circuit, a beautiful beam, a great user interface, and a totally unique design that is also very appealing aesthetically.

If the specs sound good*, then I can't see how the light would disappoint in person.

*Edit: to someone here I mean

Last edited:

Sarlix

Enlightened

Well I don't want to repeat myself or sound like a shill, but the H51 is the nicest AA light I've ever had. A class leading circuit, a beautiful beam, a great user interface, and a totally unique design that is also very appealing aesthetically.

If the specs sound good*, then I can't see how the light would disappoint in person.

*Edit: to someone here I mean

Thanks for the info qtaco. One thing I am uncertain about is the beam throw. I've read it isn't as floody as the previous models, yet from what I gather it isn't much of a thrower either. So I'm guessing it's somewhere in between the two. Maybe throws 20 feet? Hopefully I will find out soon enough :)

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

It throws way more than 20 feet you could turn 20 feet into 20 meters and double or triple it, that is just eyeballing it I have not actually tested distance yet.

GlobalPlayer

Newly Enlightened

I ordered one last night; so now I'm waiting ...
... and waiting to compare the beam to some other small lights (hope I'll find the time to do some beamshots)
GP lovecpf

Thiers-Issard

Newly Enlightened

I got my H51 today, and I must say that it ROCKS!! :D :D

Sarlix

Enlightened

Can I ask a question of anyone who has the H51 - Is it true there is no memory for the UI and that it starts off in high mode when first switched on? I had planned to use it as a go-to light for night time visits to the toilet and such, but I fear the initial 200lm burst may prevent this :faint:

It throws way more than 20 feet you could turn 20 feet into 20 meters and double or triple it, that is just eyeballing it I have not actually tested distance yet.

That's good to know, thanks :)

MiniLux

Newly Enlightened

Do you notice a big difference in brightness between 200lm and 140lm?

I do notice a difference, but it's hard to distinguish. So using 140 Lumen is probably the way to go: nearly no difference, but double the runtime.

What I did notice too:
to my bare eyes, L2 is lower than L2 on H31, but L1 is noticeably brighter than L1 on H31, although it should be lower looking at the specs on the homepage:

H51:
Low: L1 2.5 Lm (3 days) or L2 0.2 Lm (16 days)

H31:
Low: L1 5 Lm (3.7 days) or L2 0.5 Lm (21 days)

Anybody else noticed this?

MiniLux

Last edited:

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast

*snip* Is it true there is no memory for the UI and that it starts off in high mode when first switched on? *snip*

Yes it's true.

BUT, if you want to start the light on low mode, press and hold the switch for a moment instead of just clicking, and the light will turn on in Low.
I've been turning it on this way for 'midnight bathroom runs'.

Also, the 'sub-level' for each brightness will be memorized, so there is no need to set that each time you use the light.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast

*snip* I do notice a difference, but it's hard to distinguish. So using 140 Lumen is probably the way to go: nearly no difference, but double the runtime.

Really? Are you using Eneloops?
I will try to upload some beamshots later which should show the difference.