Zebralight Q50 Alternative

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
not 500, but close

http://www.jet-beam.com/links/pro/pa40.aspx

the fenix tk41 works at 800lm with 4xAA, but is a bit large and throwy
Thanks, petr9999, this is a beautiful light and I am very tempted. I have always wanted a JetBeam... I will check out the M40A and then might have to check out this one... And then the Olight S35... uh oh... Gonna have to hide the credit card bills!
:welcome:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,
I ended up getting the Sunwayman M40A... oh my goodness, what a light!
I am in love! Compact, but comfortable, insanely bright, and with a wonderful beam and color... the innovate and highly-functional magnetic selector ring... It's my new favorite! 100% guilt-free lumens with eneloops... I am on cloud 9! Thanks so much for the advice!

-Apple

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
I've been waiting on the Q50 also.

But compared to some of those 4Xaa mentioned above, if you dont need quite the power, I may suggest the quark X 2xAA. I know its only rated 280L but testing here has shown closer to 400 if memory serves, and comparing it to my H51w I believe it. And with only two cells, and using lithiums the thing is so light for the output! And it only cost me like $45 of thier website (but the sale might be over with now, not sure). That fills the gap for me between 1AA and 4AA (if the Q50 ever comes to fruition) and a fraction of the cost of like the M40A, although that is an awesome light too. But too much $$ for me.

T-roc87

Newly Enlightened
I took a quick gander at the quark x aa. Nice looking light but its now just under $70! Comparing the quark x and the m40a is like apples to oranges. The quark should be pretty floody compared to the m40a with much larger head that throws a decent beam of light. While $120 seems steep you get one heck of light that runs on 4aa batteries and blows away any of my 2aa lights. But i will be in the market again soon for another 2aa light so i shall surely keep the quark x as an option especially with the high lumens output. I was waiting for the q50 but i gave up and decided to find something else that fits the bill. Great company but i just wish they wouldn't get our hopes up so quick.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Any beamshots of the M40 with the XM-L outdoor or indoor?
I am very interested you guys go me looking at this. Any lux numbers @ 1 meter with the M40A XM-L?
Awesome guys

Last edited:

Gryffin

Enlightened
That said, I'd also highly recommend the S35 if you plan on carrying the light on your person or in a pack as it's significantly smaller although not as powerful. I have the neutral version that came in the hiker package. It also included a nice diffuser, not sure if that comes with it if purchased alone. The side mounted button interface is super easy to use and this light is also comfortable to hold.

I find it odd that the S35 doesn't get much love around here. Much more practical to carry than the SWM models, as you point out; and on a light of that size, the switch doesn't belong on the tailcap like the JETBeam. Seems to be a very well thought out light, especially for the money.

(Speaking of which, BatteryJunction has it on sale. Just. sayin'.)

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
DIΩDΣ;3926292 said:
I've been waiting on the Q50 also.

But compared to some of those 4Xaa mentioned above, if you dont need quite the power, I may suggest the quark X 2xAA.
Hey DIODE, thanks! I do have a Quark 2xAA and I like it a lot. I was looking for something a bit more potent, and the M40A really delivers. This light is more powerful than pretty much all my other lights (though I want to do a head-to-head with FOURSEVENS S12... just have to get the camera for beamshots!) and is amazingly compact too. Thank you for the recommendation.

I took a quick gander at the quark x aa. Nice looking light but its now just under $70! Comparing the quark x and the m40a is like apples to oranges. The quark should be pretty floody compared to the m40a with much larger head that throws a decent beam of light. While $120 seems steep you get one heck of light that runs on 4aa batteries and blows away any of my 2aa lights. But i will be in the market again soon for another 2aa light so i shall surely keep the quark x as an option especially with the high lumens output. I was waiting for the q50 but i gave up and decided to find something else that fits the bill. Great company but i just wish they wouldn't get our hopes up so quick.
+1! :)

I find it odd that the S35 doesn't get much love around here. Much more practical to carry than the SWM models, as you point out; and on a light of that size, the switch doesn't belong on the tailcap like the JETBeam. Seems to be a very well thought out light, especially for the money.
Hey Gryffin, I'd say that the S35 got some love in this thread and I might get one too! I think the power to size ratio of the Q50 is what got so many of us excited and that, in many ways, the S35 is the closest approximation to it... but, for me at least, in being so close to the Q50 put not quite as powerful or unique, I kind of felt like I might feel like I bought a similar light that is not quite as amazing as the Q50 would be/would have been... for me, the Sunwayman is a bit different, very powerful, and kind of distinguishes itself from the Q50 while still sharing some of its strengths. The S35 sure looks like an awesome light and I do want to pick one up.