Zebralight Reliability

How reliable have your Zebralights been?

• Total garbage - they've all broken

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I've had more fail than have worked well

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Pretty reliable - only 1 or 2 problems

Votes: 21 15.2%
  • They've been rock solid stone cold reliable

Votes: 89 64.5%
  • I don't own any, so I don't know

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don't actually use my Zebralight(s) so I don't know

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • What's a Zebralight?

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if the other poll starters made them with a similar motive. I was contemplating earlier why there is a disproportionate amount of polls and threads for Zebralight, yet most people seem to have had no problems. Out of the three I've owned all have had issues, one of them had to be sent back. I've probably just been unlucky though since most people don't seem to have an issue. Unless of course everyone is lying :tinfoil:

Which 3 models were they and what were the issues? I've had 3 so far and all of mine have been perfect so far, great tint and performance as stated. They're worth a shot if you've had bad luck in the past as it seems they've fixed many issues.

Taz80

Enlightened
I have four, H51, H502, H600fw and SC62w, they've all been good. I carry the H502 and H600fw for work every day and the SC62 in the winter. These are such nice lights they are worth the slim chance of a failure.

jbrett14

Enlightened
I have 6 models: 3 headlights & 3 flashlights. 4 of them are AA models, 2 of them are 18650 models. I have not had a single issue with any of them.

As of this post, there is a 92% reliability rating, according to the poll, of those who actually own and use them. Not bad. And it's probably much higher than that, considering that many of us own many of their lights. E.g. I have SIX with great reliability, yet only one vote.

Last edited:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quite a while back I was looking to get a Zebra Light but passed. I read a few reliability related complaints here and decided to look elsewhere. If such issues were overstated or the QC improved such I'll have to take another look at them. The last time I considered them they were Chinese made but the company was supposedly in the process of moving productions back to the States. Did this ever happen?

jbrett14

Enlightened
"I have SIX with great reliability, yet only one vote."

That is a very good point that you have made here.

I don't have any ZLs, but I am considering...

Thanks,

-Chuck

Warning: If you like a thumb-operated clicky, you will never go back. I was hesitant to buy just ONE, because of the cost. I now have SIX and want MORE. Ha!

jbrett14

Enlightened
Quite a while back I was looking to get a Zebra Light but passed. I read a few reliability related complaints here and decided to look elsewhere. If such issues were overstated or the QC improved such I'll have to take another look at them. The last time I considered them they were Chinese made but the company was supposedly in the process of moving productions back to the States. Did this ever happen?

As far as I know they are made in China, like nearly every other brand in here. Still great quality though.

I think it's more an issue with customer service than it is with quality. Every brand will have SOME quality issues from time to time, just like the best auto makers do. It's HOW those quality issues are dealt with that make a great company. This is where ZL has failed some folks. They make GREAT lights, but when one does have a problem, it seems to be a difficult company to deal with.

Last edited:

chuckhov

Enlightened

Chinese made is no good?

Now you tell me! - After I have bought all of this Junk:)

Here I was thinking that they were on the forefront of innovation.

Fenex - Nitecorn - Throughnight - Olite - Zebralite, etc... Are they not among the Best?

Very sorry for my lack of knowledge.

-Chuck

Edit - Sorry for the OT.

Last edited:

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast

Still made in China but headquarters in U.S. Quality has improved quite a bit over recent years and would now be what I would consider one of the top makers of lights under $100.

euthymic

Newly Enlightened
My SC600 flat out died after my 6 year old son dropped it less than 2.5 feet onto hard packed dirt. I watched it happen as we readied to go trick or treating at a friends house last Halloween. No visible damage. Outside of the 12 month warrantee so pretty much SOL, Luckily I had a HDS in my pocket. I've got 3 other zebra head lamps that have worked without problems but I am pretty careful with my lights. I certainly wouldn't trust a Zebra as my only light but just fine for general use and I do like the form factor.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, thanks. I emailed them back when I was thinking about picking one up and they stated they were in the process of moving some production back to the US. If they did it would be a plus, that's all, more curious then anything if it happened.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please correct me if I am wrong, but the newer 'potted' ones should be more durable?

I really dunno...

I am considering a ZL for my next light.

-Chuck

Yes they should be far more durable in the newer potted lights as it basically keeps soldering and other things from coming loose during drops. HDS and some other reputable manufacturers do this and it's a huge step towards improved durability. That's why what I've seen and read in recent weeks and months indicate the new lights are very drop resistant as a result whereas the older lights that weren't made this way aren't nearly as durable from a drop standpoint. The two best in my opinion are the SC32 for ultra compact size and the 62 for long runtime and camping/hiking. The SC5 is great if you want to use more common batteries while still having 500+ lumens if needed. I have 3 and all are the newer ones; they're great all around!

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own two Zebralights, a SC80 and a SC52. I use the SC80 around the house almost daily and it has been rock solid. I do not use the SC52, but both lights are similar in design and user interface. It looks like to me that if the lights were to fail, the switch would be the first thing to go since so much clicking is done on it to change modes and program. I have not read any issue with them though.

markr6

Flashaholic
I voted "They've been rock solid stone cold reliable" for my 6 Zebralights. BUT...

1. One is solely a backup in my car bag; H51w which hasn't see much use in general
2. SC52w is my nightstand light, getting used lightly
3. SC62w and SC600w usually just sit around. I'll used them occasionally but nothing rough
4. H52w and H600w see the most use, out running and backpacking

As much as I love Zebralights, I don't trust them completely and would not be surprised if one failed me at some point. I've never had a problem but they just seem delicate to me.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted "They've been rock solid stone cold reliable" for my 6 Zebralights. BUT...

1. One is solely a backup in my car bag; H51w which hasn't see much use in general
2. SC52w is my nightstand light, getting used lightly
3. SC62w and SC600w usually just sit around. I'll used them occasionally but nothing rough
4. H52w and H600w see the most use, out running and backpacking

As much as I love Zebralights, I don't trust them completely and would not be surprised if one failed me at some point. I've never had a problem but they just seem delicate to me.

If you held the SC5 in your hand you might change that opinion that thing is a tank and is built like one! It is heavy for its size but I actually like the heft because it makes it feel like it'll last forever and it dissipates the heat much better too. By contrast the SC32 and 62 feel like a feather in the hand lol.

markr6

Flashaholic
If you held the SC5 in your hand you might change that opinion that thing is a tank and is built like one! It is heavy for its size but I actually like the heft because it makes it feel like it'll last forever and it dissipates the heat much better too. By contrast the SC32 and 62 feel like a feather in the hand lol.

Yes I had one and sold it right away. None of the ZLs really scream durability to me. Even the S600. It's HEAVY and I'm not arguing the quality, just the overall reliability. I would rather drop a Fenix than a ZL.

Latest posts