Zebralight SC5 MKII

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am just noticing now (sunset in 5 minutes here), when there is enough ambient light, all that can be seen is spot from about 15 feet, can't see much of any SC5c II light much beyond that. In the dark is when the spill appears. I don't mind it this floody, actually because of this light, now appreciating what flood flashaholics have always been on about. I very recently had been turning my nose up at flood. Wall of light is a neat thing, just like a spotlight is a neat thing.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the customer review section of the SC5c page at Zebralight, someone left this review with 2 of 5 stars (and, whoever you are, if you are a member here, I think you are a total narcissist):

narcissist said:
Its green.
I love almost everything about this light. My main gripe is that this 90+ CRI light has a noticably green tint on the outer portion of the hotspot. Its noticable indoors and outdoors. A $70 high cri AA light shouldnt have a tint shift that is so intrusive it can be noticed no matter where you point it. Given my disgust for being mislead, I have offered this light in a giveaway. I dont want it that badly. Until this issue is rectified, someone else can take my money.
Reviewed by: a user from United States. on 12/10/2018

Loves almost everything about it, rates 2 stars. Entitled asswipe.

On the two that I have looked at, I see no such green tint compared to my cool white lights or my nichias or my incans. Compared to my SC62c, it does appear a little green. Remove the SC62c, I can't see any cast. Color is subjective... much depends on the colors it is next to when examining. I fail to see how cast in anyway affects the use of a flashlight. If there is such green cast, unless there is something wrong with the observer's brain, it will naturally adjust white balance to make the cast invisible. Therefore, when the narcissist claims it is "noticable" [sic] he is imagining things or lying. If it is there, within a few seconds, it can no longer be seen.

I rate this whiny narcissist and this dishonest review zero of 5 stars.
Points go to Zebralight for leaving this review up for so long.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I take issue with is the single and minor problem and it causing more than a single star to come off, the dishonestly, the exaggeration, and plastering it on their site in such a complaint as though he had been raped. The green is incidental.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
what kind of runtimes will this light get on the lowest seting with a energizer l91 lithium cell

raggie33

*the raggedier*
but wasnt it 4.3 months with a eneloop? im useing a lithium aa. im hoping its more

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
but wasnt it 4.3 months with a eneloop? im useing a lithium aa. im hoping its more

Well, Eneloop Pro is about 2500mAh, and Energizer L91 is 3000mAh, so a ratio and algebra can tell us the L91 runtime without knowing the draw of ZL lowest setting

2500:4.3::3000:x

x = (4.3)(3000)/2500

x = 5.16 months of runtime on L91

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not that I think that I am clever, but this has worked out for me.

I use the G5 mode group during the day, for one click high and turbo. I programmed G7 to only use the top 2/3rd or 3/4ths of the brightness levels, and I'll switch to that in the evening, with low on one click, high on two. G6 is the opposite of G7, but more extreme, and it is for nighttime... stuffed only the lower half of modes into the program, also low on one click, high on two.

I find myself constantly tweaking the modes. I prefer each successive mode to be 3 times the lumens. Can't always get there, which is probably why I tweak.

Interesting thing about putting the highs in M1&M2, the mediums in L1&L2, and the lows in H1&H2, is how the click and hold works when the light is on. From medium, click and hold goes to high, and then (if I let go first) from high, click and hold goes first back to medium. I like that. To get to low, I either have to keep holding to cycle through high, or turn the light off and on, which is what I usually do to save the dark adaptation.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find myself constantly tweaking the modes. I prefer each successive mode to be 3 times the lumens. Can't always get there, which is probably why I tweak.

I like Zebralight and have several lights and headlamps. Personally I sometimes find the UI a bit too complex. The UI of Thrunite is my favorite.
I really agree with you here: the difference between each step should be at least 3 times. And I think 4-5times it's ok too. It's well known that the eyes don't perceive the difference as big as the number could lead us to believe.

Last edited: