Zebralight SC50w first impressions

orangeglo

Newly Enlightened
Thx for the writeup. Would it be possible to get a shot of it attached to the headband? I was wondering how they rigged it.

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
Thank you very much for the beamshots!

Question. Based on beamshots (outside and on the wall) of warm lights, the warm lights appeal to me. But ... my reaction to the photos of the SC50w using the alkaline and NiMH AA batteries is that the spill is dim. Is the (low-ish) level of brightness in the SC50w's spill typical of warm 1xAA/1xAAA alkaline/NiMH powered flashlights ?

Last edited:

pc_light

Enlightened
Question... Is the (low-ish) level of brightness in the SC50w's spill typical of warm 1xAA/1xAAA alkaline/NiMH powered flashlights ?

It may be my photos but it's true that the warm tinted emitters in question have slightly less brightness/flux than their generally available cool counterparts. For example, on alkalines the SC50 is rated 122 lm whereas the SC50w is rated 107 lm.

But on the basis of some threads/beamshots I've seen comparing the same light when available in warm and cool versions, the brightness (or lack thereof) of the warm spill appears to be more pronouced when white-wall hunting, than in real life use, particularly when outside.

FWIW, there are some CPF threads discussing something refered to as the "Kruithof curve", which relates to perception of colors under low-light luminance (e.g., the spill). Warm colors apparently render more naturally/pleasantly than dim cool tints.

My opinion, if one needs absolute max output regardless of tint one should get the SC50. I got the SC50w, isn't it wonderful that we have a choice these days! :thumbsup:

pc_light

Last edited:

pc_light

Enlightened
IMO the great thing about the zebra UI is that you can turn it on in the mode you want, no cycling thru modes. Quick-click High, slow-click Low, double-click Medium. :)

"Last-mode" memory would change that predictability.
-Jeff

Yeah predictability is exactly my problem.

I've got the Quick-click for Hi working fine. My problem is with Low, occasionally my light will go from Low to Hi during a slow-click. Happens when I release from Slow-click (too soon), it jumps right to bright, which can be blinding when I'm expecting Low :eek:.

Don't know if it's my switch or what but that's been my my experience during the pass 2-days. It's not constant, just periodically, which spoils predictability for me.

Since I have so much trouble with the predicability of Slow-clicks, I've devised my own way to reach the levels I want. I
- Quick-click once for Hi,
- Quick-click twice for Med and
- Quick-click thrice for Low!
Seems to work better for me this way.

Also, in order to avoid the "flash" when Double-clicking to reach Med, I Slow-click and hold to ramp-up to Med.

I do like the side-clicky, it might be hard to go back to rear clickies after this.

Last edited:

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
pc_light:

icon14.gif
Thank you for explaining those things; I was unaware of all of that.

Last edited:

uplite

Enlightened
Thx for the writeup. Would it be possible to get a shot of it attached to the headband? I was wondering how they rigged it.
The SC30 product page has a picture on the headband:

http://www.zebralight.com/SC30-Flashlight-CR123-193Lm_p_18.html

It's the same basic setup as the other zebralights...a stretchy silicone holder with two loops for the light, and two slots for the adjustable elastic headband.

You can rotate the side-emitter lights like the H501 to direct the beam up/down exactly where you want it. This is especially nice if you wear the light around your neck, like I do for hiking. But the end-emitter lights cannot be aimed except by moving the headband or your head.

-Jeff

uplite

Enlightened
My problem is with Low, occasionally my light will go from Low to Hi during a slow-click. Happens when I release from Slow-click (too soon), it jumps right to bright, which can be blinding when I'm expecting Low.
I had the same problem at first. The slow-click on my SC50 is a tiny bit slower than my H501. On the H501, I click & hold for about 1/2 second to jump to Low. On the SC50, I have to hold for almost a full second to jump to Low.

I wonder if they changed the timing in the microcontroller. I also noticed that the delay between clicking to turn off, and the light actually turning off, seems longer. Maybe 1/2 second.

I do like the side-clicky, it might be hard to go back to rear clickies after this.
If I was forced to pick one, I would take the side clicky too.

I have a new preferred grip with the SC50. Call it "writer's grip". I hold the light like I would hold a pen or pencil, with index finger resting on the button. It feels very precise. Even better than cigar grip. Fingers have much finer motor control than wrist or arm.

But the tail switch still has its place. I find that the side clicky takes a fraction of a second longer to find. A tail switch light like my Quark, I can flip into my hand and the switch is always in the same place, immediately. If I was a traffic cop or other "tactical" user, I would like that more.

-Jeff

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...they are totally different lights. :)

The H501 is an even flood light, 80° spread. It covers everything that you can reach in front of you. So you don't need to hold it and point it. Just put it on your head (or around your neck, or clipped to your pocket, etc) and rotate it to illuminate your general task area. No hands.

The SC50 is a concentrated light, with about 8° hotspot. That hotspot is meant to be pointed at something, which is best done with the light in your hand. Or maybe in your mouth, if you need a concentrated beam but your hands are full. :)

I guess you could say that the H501 is most "comfortable" (since you don't have to hold it) and the SC50 is most "pointable" (since it has a concentrated beam).

-Jeff

Uplite,
thanks for your answer. And thanks to you, I may need to get both!

uplite

Enlightened
Just noticed...I took this picture of the switch on Sunday but forgot to post it:

img4788m.jpg

The switch is turned slightly towards the camera, so it looks a bit taller than it actually is, but you can still see how it is recessed in the body.

I tried to turn it on by pressing it hard against my leg or hip. Nope. If this light is in a loose pants pocket by itself, it seems safe to leave the tailcap tightened. I would definitely lock it out in a bag though.

For scale...each cooling slot is 1.0 mm wide.

-Jeff

Misan

Newly Enlightened
uplite good review :thumbsup: but I really liked the solution with the lanyard loop (using some cheap & easy 18-gauge galvanized steel wire), and I think it very convenient :clap:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
first impression: i like mine. sc50w (ordered it on saturday and arrived today friday.. across the ocean to north europe. VERY QUICK!)

the beam is nice and floody. JUST as i hoped it to be. a task light that is for little further distance than my h501w. i now can almost see myself carrying only them as my edcs. one for walking and looking in distance and other to use in close proximity. it could happen. even if i like my 47s lights alot.

the sideclicky OH YEAH! finally a decent light with cliky. the light felt "natural" the moment i took it. the shape and the length and ergonomics felt comfortable. easy to use the cliky. and its indeed slightly stiffer thna in h501. in very good way. it is convinient to use in old underhand grip and also in the pen grip with my forefinger operating the clicky.

the ui. its pretty good. i would prefer that if i double clik it for the second mode set it would operate in that set until i would double click again. but very minor. as i know i will use the "main" modeset most of my time.. and only occasionally drop it to lowest output.

the blinking strobe is rather slow so it works well as "alerting others" blinker. for me its much more useful than the fast disorienting strobe that h501 has.

it feels strong and the body tube really looks like it could take some beating. workmanship looks good and ano perfect. even the different tinted tailcap looks good in my mind.. suble reminder that its the part you are intended to screw open to get to the battery.

the light still felt like its very compact. only few mm longer than quark mini.

the pocket clip could of been black. for more discreet look. or even duller gray the chromed clip draws attention in otherwise sleek muted coloerd light. (i am bored with black lights now.. i do want other ano colors.. natural grey like these is great)

not sure if i will be spoiled soon by using this sidecliky. and start to dislike tailbuttons. in the beginning i know i will be thumbing this lights butt-end often, until i get used to this "new" cliky location.

now that i have played with it for couple hours.. i think i will upgrade my first impression to i REALLY like this one!

deuces

Newly Enlightened
A question for you guys. When running 14500, does the big gap between high and medium bother you?

sc50: 193 high, 38 medium
sc50w: 169 high, 33 medium

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
nope not me.

i mostly use the lowest output. and if it is not enough the medium is plenty bright. (sometimes might be even too bright)

and if i need full blast on high i am looking for something in longer distance anyways where medium wouldnt be enough even if it was double the brightness.

as it takes 3 to 4 times the output in lumens, for the range of the light to double and to appear twice as bright to the eye. thats why i think they are spaced ok. no need to spend extra lumens in medium mode if it really isnt that much brighter. (gives you more runtime too)

33lm times 4 =132lm to double bright, so that extra +30lm is just gravy :)

ky70

Banned
Anyone with the SC50 (or anyone that knows enough to figure out the math) have an estimate of runtimes using a 14500?

I orderd the SC50 cool on Friday (from illuminationgear.com) and the light will be delivered today (less than 2 full business days for free delivery is a shockingly fast turn-around time). I can't wait to get it!!

jason978

Newly Enlightened
Is the sc50 supposed to NOT work at all when the battery runs down. I'm using AA NimH, sanyo and eneloops. I noticed that when the battery voltage drops to about 1.05 the light won't turn on at all at any level. Is that normal?

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Presumably yes because the electronics need a minimum amount of voltage to run. But since you are using rechargeables, this is a good thing so you don't over discharge your batteries.

I know my H501w did the same thing.

uplite

Enlightened
sc50w...h501w...almost see myself carrying only them as my edcs. one for walking and looking in distance and other to use in close proximity
Yep, these 2 lights are a killer combination outdoors. Here is my night trail-running setup:

zebralightwaistpack.jpg

Last friday night I was hiking with a buddy on a narrow trail past dusk. Leader used the sc50 to scan ahead. Follower walked ~2m back with the h501 to provide an area flood light for both. Almost perfect. Two h501's would have been even better. :)

i would prefer that if i double clik it for the second mode set it would operate in that set until i would double click again
I had to play with the modes for a while to figure this out:

The sc50 remembers either low-Low (0.6 lumens) or low-Medium (18 lumens), but not both.

For example:

1) Select lower-Low, turn the light off & back on...it remembers lower-Low.

2) Now select lower-Medium, hold the switch to cycle modes, and you have both lower-Low (0.6 lumen) and lower-Medium (18 lumen)...OK, as expected.

3) Now turn it off & on again...it remembers your lower-Medium choice, but the Low mode is reset to higher-Low (4.4 lumens).

4) Try the same sequence, but choose lower-Medium before you choose lower-Low...and the Medium mode will reset to higher-Medium (33 lumens).

I'm not sure if this is by design, or a bug in the controller programming. Turns out, it works great for my real-world usage so far. :shrug: :)

the pocket clip could of been black. for more discreet look. or even duller gray the chromed clip draws attention in otherwise sleek muted coloerd light.
+1.

Shiny clip probably helps if you drop the light and have to find it outdoors. Otherwise it seems too flashy for these lights.

I bet you could brush the chrome with sandpaper to remove the shine. Maybe start with 200 grit. Plus replace the chrome screws with black screws. :cool:

When running 14500, does the big gap between high and medium bother you?
More levels would be nice, but it doesn't bother me.

IMO the 14500 High mode is either "show-off mode" or "gotta have max output mode". If efficiency is a concern, both NiMH rechargeables and Lithium primaries have more capacity than 14500s.

I wouldn't complain if zebralight added more programmable levels to these lights, though. :)

-Jeff

Last edited:

mxrider32

Newly Enlightened
Got my SC50w yesterday and I really like it. The switch feels awesome and the UI is great. It is plenty bright with a 14500. The modes are spaced fine. The memory thing is a bit confusing but uplite explained it well. I bent up a paper clip to make a lanyard hole in place of the pocket clip and have a small tritium fob hanging from it. The very low mode makes it perfect for night time trips to the bathroom. The tint is nice too. Overall I am impressed and will be holding onto this light. :twothumbs

hazna

Enlightened
I got my sc50 today! Fastest shipping I've ever gotten from the USA. Thumbs up for illuminationgear:twothumbs

I like this light! It feels sturdy and well built. Love the side clicky. Tailstands well. Can't wait to try it with a 14500.

I can confirm the 'low/low or low/medium bug' described by uplite. Not a big deal for me to be honest. There is a preflash (flashes as a lower level) when turning directly to high. Once again not a big deal for me.

I will need to get used to 'click and hold' for low. Some times I miss it, and it comes on high if I don't hold it long enough. Or goes to medium if I hold it too long.

Okay I'm off the play around with it some more... taking it to the shower with me :) Will post some picture later