Zebralight SC50w first impressions

ky70

Banned
I got my sc50 today! Fastest shipping I've ever gotten from the USA. Thumbs up for illuminationgear:twothumbs

Congrats!! I got mine on Monday from illumination gear. I ordered on Friday around noon and had the light on Monday...less than 2 full business days (free shipping at that). So, I'm also a big fan if this vendor. It was my second order from these folks and communication and turnaround time has been great in both cases. Also, I've found them to have the lowest prices on Zebralight and Eagletac (with shipping and discount is factored in).

I like this light! It feels sturdy and well built. Love the side clicky. Tailstands well. Can't wait to try it with a 14500.

It's a big difference in output on high using the 14500...you'll love it

There is a preflash (flashes as a lower level) when turning directly to high. Once again not a big deal for me.
Are you quick single clicking to get into high? When I quick click for high, it opens up in high with no preflash.

I will need to get used to 'click and hold' for low. Some times I miss it, and it comes on high if I don't hold it long enough. Or goes to medium if I hold it too long.
From off, three quick clicks access low mode (and 2 quick clicks access medium).

Desk shot of SC50 (camera phone pic though)...

IMG00120-20100413-1208.jpg

Last edited:

hazna

Enlightened
Are you quick single clicking to get into high? When I quick click for high, it opens up in high with no preflash.

Playing around with it some more... If you press lightly and very quickly there is no noticeable preflash. If you clicky it firmly or not as quickly, it will flash to a lower mode before going to high.

yatsunil

Newly Enlightened
Playing around with it some more... If you press lightly and very quickly there is no noticeable preflash. If you clicky it firmly or not as quickly, it will flash to a lower mode before going to high.

On my SC30 which I believe has the same UI, I find that a very deliberate and firm Click-Hold-Release (as opposed to quick click-release) gets me to low mode with just one flicker/preflash.

uplite

Enlightened
Just click and hold for 1 second (say "one mississippi") before releasing the button, and the light stays in low mode. No flashes. No flickers. Just low mode. :)

When you click & release quickly, the light comes on in low mode (as soon as you press it) and then jumps to high mode (when you release it). This is not a "preflash" like the quark/fenix lights that flash max brightness before showing the low mode that you really wanted. :sick2: The zebralights just mode-step, from low to high, with a shortcut to high if you release the button quickly. :thumbsup:

fwiw I liked the 1/2 second "stay low" timing on my H501 better than the 1 second timing on my sc50. Not a big deal though. I think I have the hang of it now. :)

-Jeff

ky70

Banned
On my SC30 which I believe has the same UI, I find that a very deliberate and firm Click-Hold-Release (as opposed to quick click-release) gets me to low mode with just one flicker/preflash.

On the SC50, this same operation gets you low mode without any flicker/preflash. The click opens the light in low and the release after 1 second keeps it in low.

hazna

Enlightened
I've taken a photo of it with some other lights for size comparison

Drake, SC50, fenix L1D, Ultrafire c3, MG L-mini II

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've taken a photo of it with some other lights for size comparison

Drake, SC50, fenix L1D, Ultrafire c3, MG L-mini II

Show-off!. Nice collection you got there :nana:

Your Drake is smaller than the Nite Glowring :)

fixitman

Newly Enlightened
How does the beam profile compare to a Quark MiNi AA? is it similar in size to the Quark MiNi AA? I am looking at alternatives to the MiNi for EDC.

Zendude

Enlightened
Congrats!! I got mine on Monday from illumination gear. I ordered on Friday around noon and had the light on Monday...less than 2 full business days (free shipping at that). So, I'm also a big fan if this vendor. It was my second order from these folks and communication and turnaround time has been great in both cases. Also, I've found them to have the lowest prices on Zebralight and Eagletac (with shipping and discount is factored in).

It's a big difference in output on high using the 14500...you'll love it

From off, three quick clicks access low mode (and 2 quick clicks access medium).

Desk shot of SC50 (camera phone pic though)...

IMG00120-20100413-1208.jpg

Wow! I'm used to mismatched ano but that looks pretty extreme....maybe its the phone camera.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Bug in ZebraLight SC50w?

EDIT: oops... didn't realize until I do another more detail search that this issue has already been raise in this thread :eek: mod, can you please merge this? thanks. :)

EDIT 2: I just tried the same sequence on SC30w, it works as it should, no memorization issue.

thanks to pseudoblue, he pointed out an issue with the mode memorization of ZebraLight SC50w that we acquired yesterday.

According to ZebraLight website:
Double click at any level to toggle and select between the two sub-levels for that mode. Medium and Low sub-level selections are memorized after the light is turned off and through battery changes. Strobe selection is not memorized.

however, we found that SC50w doesn't memorize the sub-level selection if you perform the following operations:

1. Press and hold for 1 second to go into low mode (4.4 lumens)
2. Double click to go to sub-level lower low mode (0.6 lumens)
3. Test the memorized function by turning the SC50w off and press and hold to turn on again. It memorizes the lower low mode (0.6 lumens)
4. Press and hold to go to medium mode (33 lumens)
5. Double click to go to sub-level lower medium mode (18 lumens)
6. Test the memorized function by turning the SC50w off and press and hold to turn on again. It goes into low mode (4.4 lumens) instead of the lower low (0.6 lumens).

in short, do this:
4.4 lumens ==> 0.6 lumens ==> 33 lumens ==> 18 lumens
result is SC50w cannot remember the 0.6 lumens sub-level in this flow.

I'm not sure if this apply to SC50 cool white or not, perhaps those who have SC50 cool white can try this and confirm?

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Bug in ZebraLight SC50w?

Well I just tried it on my SC50 and SC50W and sure enough they both do what you say. It does not matter if I program the light's to the 1 or 2 medium. Also it does not help if I cycle the modes before shutoff once I program medium I can cycle modes and everything appears fine but as soon as I shut off it forgets the low-low.

KingCanada

Newly Enlightened
I wish ZL made one that was larger, like 2xCR123a or even 2xAA. If so, I'd pick one up in a heartbeat as it looks damn near perfect already, just too small.

lebox97

Enlightened
The SC50 tail cap is more typical color HA for the ZL... according to ZL their first run of the SC50 bodies and head are lighter HA than their usual - hopefully they didn't run too many thousands of them :oops:

it'll make a nice collectors edition :whistle:
it is kind of a nice color in person - dark bronze'ish?

Tod

My tailcap is also a bit darker then the body but this little light is so nice I ordered another this time warm white.

ky70

Banned
The SC50 tail cap is more typical color HA for the ZL... according to ZL their first run of the SC50 bodies and head are lighter HA than their usual - hopefully they didn't run too many thousands of them :oops:

it'll make a nice collectors edition :whistle:
it is kind of a nice color in person - dark bronze'ish?

Tod

Hello Tod :twothumbs

When are you expecting to have the Zebralight H31 for sale?

Sidebar: Any estimate on the arrival of the Eagletac PC20C?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

lebox97

Enlightened
I'm fairly confident that the ZL H31 will be available a lot sooner than the ET PC20C...

keep an eye out on CPFMP and the individual dealer websites for updates...
:whistle:

Cheers
Tod

Hello Tod :twothumbs

When are you expecting to have the Zebralight H31 for sale?

Sidebar: Any estimate on the arrival of the Eagletac PC20C?

Thanks!!