Zebralight SC50w first impressions

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
This question is for anyone:

How do the size of the SC50w's hotspot and the brightness of the SC50w's spill compare with those of the JetBeam Jet-I Pro ?

The Jet-I Pro R2 has a wider and deeper reflector so the Jet's focuses more light into the hotspot. The size of the hotspots are not that different it's just the Jets is much much brighter. The spill is way wider on the SC50 and brighter, what your looking at is basically two different types of light's, one is geared for throw and the other for flood.

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
Thank you both very much for helping me.

My Fenix L0D RB100 and my Rayovac 2D incandescent flashlight have hotspots that are approximately comparable to the hotspots pictured (link) in selfbuilt's review (link). Putting that information together with the information the two of you gave me helped me a lot in having a frame of reference for understanding what I could expect from the SC50w if I were holding one in my hand.

There's something that still puzzles me.
(1) The dimensions and the thoughtfully chosen brightness levels of the SC50w would seem to make it an ideal flashlight for night time walks. But when I walk around outside with my Rayovac with its small hotspot, the small hotspot makes that flashlight of minimal value *for me* for illuminating the terrain within five to ten feet of me particularly for ankle-twisting hazards like sprinkler heads, holes in the ground, and curbs
(2) When I browse the discussions about "throwers", on average people seem to regard a true thrower as a flashlight that can project light *at a minimum* as far as a JetBeam I; according to selfbuilt's table of 'throw max' values in his SC50w review, the SC50w throws about half as far as the JetBeam I

I'm not trying to be an antagonist; I'm genuinely trying to understand what usage is optimally suited for the SC50w.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
(2) When I browse the discussions about "throwers", on average people seem to regard a true thrower as a flashlight that can project light *at a minimum* as far as a JetBeam I; according to selfbuilt's table of 'throw max' values in his SC50w review, the SC50w throws about half as far as the JetBeam I.
I would not consider the SC50w as particularly throwy. However, throw values in isolation are misleading - you need to consider it in terms of overall output (i.e. the SC50w has lower output on Eneloop than most other lights).

Actually, I usually hear this question come up in the reverse sense - people are worried that the SC51 (which uses very similar optics with the XP-G) is too much of a thrower! In both cases, in comes from the wide disconnect of overall output - the SC51 is almost twice as bright as many lights in my collection.

All of these numbers are just poor stand-ins for actual beam pattern comparisons. But if you really want to compare lights in my review tables, I suggest you compare ratios of "throw" (square-root lux) to either overall output measures. That would equalize for output, and give you a better idea how relatively "throwy" individual lights are.

1AA-Summary1-2.gif

Last edited:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not trying to be an antagonist; I'm genuinely trying to understand what usage is optimally suited for the SC50w.

I use my SC50w+ as my EDC light, which I keep clipped in my pocket pretty much at all times, even during the day.

I use it for numerous small tasks such as checking on my kids at night, doing a quick check on doors and windows to make sure they're secure, looking under my desk or bed for things I may have dropped, helping me change batteries in the innumerable battery operated toys my kids have (it can be hard to see those little embossed battery symbols at the bottom of the sockets for them), going to the potty at night, looking for things in my garage (even during the day), etc.

I do NOT use it for going on a night hike in the woods near my house or the like. Going down to the corner market in the evening is fine though as you don't really need throw when there's a lot of streetlights around, etc. This is also why I've chosen to run an L91 in it instead of a 14500; I find the strobe useful for alerting cars to my presence when walking across the street, and the lower output of the high-high mode gives me a much longer run time.

In short, I use it any time I need light for up close and personal tasks, where I need to light up a bit of an area, instead of just one object. The tighter hotspot it has because of its XPE emitter is nice though too, because it still easily goes across the 25 yards or so of my back yard, and down the alley to the end of the block if I need to check something outside and I don't have a larger, more powerful light handy.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a different topic about the SC50w than what's been discussed so far, but I wanted to share with all of you what is for me an effective way to carry my SC50w+.

I have attached the lanyard that came with my RRT-0 to the clip on the ZL. I've used a spring clip on it to allow me to clip and unclip it as I please. I do this with all my lanyards as I like to be able to move them around from light to light, or to keys or a SAK or the like if necessary.

The lanyard does move around this way, but it actually works quite well. Since the clip on the light is usually held underhand anyway, the clip on the lanyard doesn't really get in the way. It works well for both a traditional side-clicky grip or in a "pencil" grip.

I've included links to some quick and grainy photos to show what I mean.

Hope this is helpful for other owners of this wonderful little light. :)

http://s763.photobucket.com/albums/xx271/hdoofenshmirtz/