Zebralight SC52 and EagleTac 14500 Battery

Blueskies123

Newly Enlightened
Spinning the battery out was the solution. I glued an old alkaline battery on the top of the stuck 14500 and then carefully spinned it out.
fu2upw.jpg

But even though I love the light I keep having a hard time with it. All of my 3 new EagleTac 14500s do not work in the light. It just doesn't turn on. Only with Eneloops and Alkalines. Also the 14500s keep getting stuck. But I have developed a more efficient technique to get them out: i smash my hand with the light in it on the side of my couch and then the 14500 comes out with a *plop*. The 14500s go into the light smoothly until the last few milimeters, then i have to push harder and thats when the batteries get stuck. As it happens with all 3 new batteries i'm guessing it is a problem of the light?
ncnyjd.jpg

I think i will have to send the light back as working with 14500s was one of its main purposes. I guess this was just bad luck.
thanks to everyone for the kind help.

If i look closely at the eagletac picture it looks like there is subtle round lip at the top and the bottom.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
If i look closely at the eagletac picture it looks like there is subtle round lip at the top and the bottom.

Looking at the picture, it looks like the Eagletac battery has like a disk at tge negative terminal. The disk seems to be off center, and in this case bulges out to the right.

TobyZiegler

Newly Enlightened
That's strange. I have no trouble with two different ET 14500 in my SC52. They do not easily come out
again, but with neodym magnets i have no trouble at all, they come in very handy for the task.

But even without magnets, with a little effort the ET 14500 can be released from the SC52.
I open the tailcap and do as if i throw the light against the ground, but stop in midair. After doing this
a couple of times, the end of the 14500 sticks out of the tube and can be taken out by hand.

Sky Light

Newly Enlightened
$65 light + more for batteries and you have to slam it against the couch to get the batteries out? I would just stick to Enerloops.
Unless of course, using glue, magnets, and slamming techniques makes the flashlight experience more pleasurable...

lightmyfire13

Enlightened
Both my eagletac 14500 fit fine try smoothing inside of tube with sandpaper it worked for me on a diferent torch.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 4

passive101

Enlightened
$65 light + more for batteries and you have to slam it against the couch to get the batteries out? I would just stick to Enerloops.
Unless of course, using glue, magnets, and slamming techniques makes the flashlight experience more pleasurable...

I literally almost spit up my tea this morning after reading this. Thank you for the laugh!

creyc

Enlightened
If the light isn't working at all on 14500's I would suggest maybe the cells you're trying are a bit too long, not allowing the tailcap to fully seat and the light is acting like it's "locked out"?

I have some TrustFire 14500's (flame wrapper) that are a bit too long for my SC52 and although the tailcap mostly screws down, it's not enough to allow the light to function. My blue Ultrafires and my AW cells fit fine however.

roadrave

Newly Enlightened
I have two sc52's and using two AW 14500 protected cells. Both cells are fine in one of the lights, but the other one I have to give the cells a little push in order to make contact at the positive end. The strength of the tail cap spring is not sufficient to push the battery in all the way. On removal I have to tap the light on a wooden surface to get the battery out. I've inspected the inside of the barrel and it's perfect with no burrs or obstructions, it seems to be a very slight difference in the barrel inside diameter. I really like the lights so hopefully over time it will wear in.:)

hurld

Newly Enlightened
I'm using AW protected cells also without any problems. Nice little 500 lumen flamethrower with the 14500

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
But even though I love the light I keep having a hard time with it. All of my 3 new EagleTac 14500s do not work in the light. It just doesn't turn on. Only with Eneloops and Alkalines. Also the 14500s keep getting stuck. But I have developed a more efficient technique to get them out: i smash my hand with the light in it on the side of my couch and then the 14500 comes out with a *plop*. The 14500s go into the light smoothly until the last few milimeters, then i have to push harder and thats when the batteries get stuck. As it happens with all 3 new batteries i'm guessing it is a problem of the light?
ncnyjd.jpg

I think i will have to send the light back as working with 14500s was one of its main purposes. I guess this was just bad luck.
thanks to everyone for the kind help.

I think we all missed the obvious here. Using an EagleTac battery with your Zebralight. Maybe try using a Zebralight battery with the Zebralight light? http://www.zebralight.com/ZL584-840...-Battery-ship-to-US-customers-only_p_101.html

I will agree with the other members though that the battery posted in the photo does look like it has an issue with the protection circuit on the bottom.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have that Zebralight, but I have several lights that use 14500 cells. I find that the 14500 cells are ALL DIFFERENT sizes (even within the same brand)! Some are too long.... Some too thick.... I liked your trick of gluing the AA battery to the 14500! I've got to bookmark that!

viperxp

Enlightened
I almost had a similar problem with Olight S15 and Keeppower 14500 (same Sanyo cell as in your EagleTac battery). I started inserting the battery in, and when it was half way in I noticed that it is very tight,and I will not be able to pull it out this way. So I put it out, and removed the sticker from it.Now I can put it in and out easily. I would suggest you to try removing the sticker from the battery as well.

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
This thread had me worried since I had just ordered an H52w (assuming it was very similar to SC52) and a couple Eagletac 14500's (one ZL 14500 too). I'm happy to say they all fit fine, actually the Eagletacs rattle around until the spring is under pressure. With as similar as all ZL's single AA lights are I am surprised they dont all use the same tube (and other parts like tailcaps), seems like that would streamline manufacturing and save em some dollars. I have 3 single AA ZL's and all of them have slightly different tubes and tailcaps.
headscratch_zps69f5147b.gif

IMG_6216-640_zpsfe5da46a.jpg

Last edited:

Aahhyes68

Newly Enlightened
Ugh....... I just received four new KeepPower 800mAh's and they don't fit my SC52 or S10 Baton...dangit....

Let me tell you guys a story......my son was "helping me" and installed one of the new 800mAh KP's into the SC52 and got it stuck...<sigh>:banghead:

I couldn't get it out so I had to use drastic measures.. I drilled a small hole into the end of my new battery..<sigh> and pulled it out... Well, I already ruined the battery so I figured I would dissect it.
I peeled the black shrink wrap off to expose the blue shrink wrapping, two coats of wrapping..no wonder it won't fit but anyway....

What I found next written on the blue wrapping was interesting... "ICR14500 3.7V 750mAh PRM"...... :shrug:

Does the protection circuit on the end of the batt mysteriously add 50mAh's the the 750mAh battery or what ?? :thinking:

Enlightened
Ugh....... I just received four new KeepPower 800mAh's and they don't fit my SC52 or S10 Baton...dangit.... Let me tell you guys a story......my son was "helping me" and installed one of the new 800mAh KP's into the SC52 and got it stuck...:banghead: I couldn't get it out so I had to use drastic measures.. I drilled a small hole into the end of my new battery.. and pulled it out... Well, I already ruined the battery so I figured I would dissect it. I peeled the black shrink wrap off to expose the blue shrink wrapping, two coats of wrapping..no wonder it won't fit but anyway.... What I found next written on the blue wrapping was interesting... "ICR14500 3.7V 750mAh PRM"...... :shrug: Does the protection circuit on the end of the batt mysteriously add 50mAh's the the 750mAh battery or what ?? :thinking:
I'd imagine the same reason why AAA Eneloops are labeled with 800mAh typical, 750mAh minimum.

Aahhyes68

Newly Enlightened
Two words: unprotected battery.

Can you elaborate on that for me please. Why would a 750mAh/unprotected battery that had protection added now be labeled at 800mAh ?

I didn't think KP was doing anything shady but couldn't think of why the mAh rating would change... I dunno...

Latest posts