Zebralight SC52 and EagleTac 14500 Battery

blackFFM

Newly Enlightened
I use Keeppower 14500s in my sc52. There must be some slight variations in the battery and/or battery tube size.

LeukTech

Newly Enlightened
Ugh....... I just received four new KeepPower 800mAh's and they don't fit my SC52 or S10 Baton...dangit....

Let me tell you guys a story......my son was "helping me" and installed one of the new 800mAh KP's into the SC52 and got it stuck...<sigh>:banghead:

I couldn't get it out so I had to use drastic measures.. I drilled a small hole into the end of my new battery..<sigh> and pulled it out... Well, I already ruined the battery so I figured I would dissect it.
I peeled the black shrink wrap off to expose the blue shrink wrapping, two coats of wrapping..no wonder it won't fit but anyway....

What I found next written on the blue wrapping was interesting... "ICR14500 3.7V 750mAh PRM"...... :shrug:

Does the protection circuit on the end of the batt mysteriously add 50mAh's the the 750mAh battery or what ?? :thinking:

It is common practice for many, less ethical, Li-ion battery manufacturers to overstate their mAh capacity. Although I honestly wouldn't trust a battery that the manufacturer overstated, because it shows they are willing to lie about their product and deceive their customers, which also might mean the battery is dangerous and unsafe to use.

I would suggest you stick to brands such as AW, Redilast and even ones from ZL or Eagletac are good too. Avoid Ultrafire brands and other unknown Chinese Li-ion batteries like the plague. These batteries can be extremely dangerous, and people would be wise to stick to well-known and trusted brands/vendors in regards to li-ions.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you elaborate on that for me please. Why would a 750mAh/unprotected battery that had protection added now be labeled at 800mAh ?

I didn't think KP was doing anything shady but couldn't think of why the mAh rating would change... I dunno...

I didn't mean to respond to the previous post. I simply meant that an unprotected battery is THE solution to fitment problems with protected batteries. Besides, the SC52 already has low voltage protection.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is common practice for many, less ethical, Li-ion battery manufacturers to overstate their mAh capacity. Although I honestly wouldn't trust a battery that the manufacturer overstated, because it shows they are willing to lie about their product and deceive their customers, which also might mean the battery is dangerous and unsafe to use.

I would suggest you stick to brands such as AW, Redilast and even ones from ZL or Eagletac are good too. Avoid Ultrafire brands and other unknown Chinese Li-ion batteries like the plague. These batteries can be extremely dangerous, and people would be wise to stick to well-known and trusted brands/vendors in regards to li-ions.

I find this statement kind of humorous in a Zebralight SC52 thread - ZL uses the same Sanyo UR14500P cell for its ZL584 840mah battery :)

Keeppower is actually being more realistic with its 800 mah claims, which the cell does meet. 840 mah - not so much. The 750mah labeling underneath is its minimum capacity, much like how you'll only find "1900 mah" printed on an Eneloop.

CLICKY

As far as overstated specs.... do you feel the same about your flashlights? :)

CLICKY

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
reppans, I was just about to point out that the Keeppower 14500s actually DO test out at better than 800mah according to HKJ's testing so I don't think it unethical for a relabeling company to call them 800mah cells...but you beat me to it.

Perhaps using different testing equipment the ZL cells could in fact show 840mah...especially if you pull them down to 2.5v instead of HKJ's 2.8v cutoff. I know my tester doesn't always precisely agree with his but I chalk that up to mine being a good enthusiast grade device whereas his is certainly of far higher quality than mine.

When I've had problems with a cell being a little too fat for a light, pulling the label and cleaning off the sticky stuff has always done the trick.:thumbsup:

Aahhyes68

Newly Enlightened
Good information guys, thanks.

I've tried the remaining three of the KP's I ordered and none fit without the KP sticker.. Oh well.. Must just be a different batch. I'm disappointed but it's not the end of the world.
I do have 6 of the Sanyo unprotected cells coming so hopefully that will solve my problem...