Zebralight SC52 Owner's Thread

stevenkelby

Enlightened
I've used it for 100+ hours day and night, never had a problem and it's a tough light, minimal chips form dropping etc.

Edit, I don't get it wet, wouldn't trust the bezel to be watertight.

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm happy with mine and will change over batts when I can (alkaline at present). I did read another thread where water ingress was causing concern. I haven't tested mine but now believe it should be OK in the rain but avoid immersing it completely.
Yeah, you'll love it more with a 14500. You may also want to use an eneloop to be safe in case those alkalines leak. Energizer Lithium would be fine too. At any rate, I've gone to the beach / swimming with mine, so far no issues, not like the other brand (which I will not mention here) where mist started to show underneath the glass.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used it for 100+ hours day and night, never had a problem and it's a tough light, minimal chips form dropping etc.

Edit, I don't get it wet, wouldn't trust the bezel to be watertight.
Yeah, if water can be avoided, by all means, but I can assure the people here that mine survived a swim at the beach. My initial worry was the clip or screw rusting. hopefully it's really SS.

itsme1234

Newly Enlightened
I bent the clip twice since december just by wearing it hanging on the inside in jeans pocket. Pity because I really liked it thet way and now I keep it just in my man purse. Otherwise no problems.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bent the clip twice since december just by wearing it hanging on the inside in jeans pocket. Pity because I really liked it thet way and now I keep it just in my man purse. Otherwise no problems.
You could order a replacement clip if that's a bother.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been so impressed about the SC52 that I am trying to decide whether to buy another one to keep or get the SC600 MkII? Any advise?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roadkill,

Now that you have the SC52 (and I know you have a bunch of Quarks...and QAAX, I believe) could you compare the 0.3 and 3 lumen modes of both lights which are supposed to be of the same lumen specs? I'm trying to determine if my SC52 is defective, here's what mine looks like:

clicky

(although it would explain how ZL gets 2-3x the runtime of the QAAX)

creyc

Enlightened
So..I'm not sure if I even qualify as an SC52 owner anymore. I hardly remember what the darn thing even looks like! :whistle:

Yet oddly I'm tempted to order another one just to cure the itch until the replacement gets back! Addicted? haha

The life of my SC52w:
5UWhfYt.png

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roadkill,

Now that you have the SC52 (and I know you have a bunch of Quarks...and QAAX, I believe) could you compare the 0.3 and 3 lumen modes of both lights which are supposed to be of the same lumen specs? I'm trying to determine if my SC52 is defective, here's what mine looks like:

clicky

(although it would explain how ZL gets 2-3x the runtime of the QAAX)

ZL's lower. I will upload some pics to show this soon.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
got any specs?

i did not ask for specs, just hoping they heard something recently. I read on another thread that Illumination Supply is trying to get firm dates from Zebralight for the new models. Those members who keep up with ZL stuff have no reason to expect anything, anytime soon. We get 'em when we get 'em.

I was out last night with my son in the mixed forest of the central mountains in New Mexico and I have to say that the Nitecore TM 26 is the way to go for this country. The SC52 is great for being so small and light but really lacks runtime for the bright settings. Hence my willingness to consider a SC62 in a pleasing tint.

one analogy that has probably already been used in this forum would be the individual who is licensed to carry and realizes a small and light handgun meets the criteria for daily carry but when the flag goes up, a rifle or shotgun is clearly the way to go. As bright as the SC52 is on burst, one can see SO much more with the 3500 lumen/ 1700 lumen Nitecore. In a bear/coyote/mountain lion/psycho situation, that's big (obviously). By the way, the 1700 lumen setting works almost as well as the 3500 turbo, and lasts longer.

so if the SC52 is a compact 9mm pistol, I'm thinking I may want a .45 with spare mags (SC62 Zebralight) for every night carry. During the day, I carry a (now discontinued) Photon ReX on a Metolious compact carabiner, that gets used a lot more than one would think.

Regarding specs for the SC62:
On one of the sc62 threads a member from Romania or Georgia (?), named Evegeni or something had some credible sounding information that he used to speculate the intensity of a Luxeon T driven sc62. Like any higher CRI torch, the output is not as bright when you look at the numbers, but comparing it in real time, it is good enough if you value decent color rendering.

On a side note:
in an effort to keep some back up 18650's vital, I keep them stored at about 3.8 volts but use them every few months or so in a "classic" Surefire U2. Taking it out last night for navigating, I compared the tint with the TM26, SC52 and an almost as old Olight T25 ( I still love my old Olight T15, beautiful neutral cast, tight hotspot with wide, faint spill). The Surefire seemed to have the most realistic look with the greens and browns of the forest but the SC52 made the colors pop almost as interestingly as the TM26. The T25 has the dingy green thing going on too but is OK for the forest as well. The Surefire on a white wall has a hint of magenta/rose to it, with a slight dim area in the center of the hot spot, but is cherished none the less.

RIX TUX

Enlightened
zl is the worst about new lights coming out when you first hear about one.
Could be 1-2 years.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
This may be a little out in left field. But has anyone ever thought your SC52 is a pot pipe? When I pulled mine out the other day, a friend of mine actually looked at it with a rather surprised look and told me that he didn't know I smoked.

b30nepi

Newly Enlightened
I just received my first Zebralight today. Mine is the SC52w. Everything is nicely done on it. It does not appear to have any overly green or yellow tint. I lubed the threads and O-ring. The light passed a very quick cup of water test as well which I was nervous to try. The only slight problem I had was inserting an Eagletac 14500. It is very tight and would surely get a little stuck (using a standard AA eneloop was not a problem and fit perfectly. I took the sticker label off of the Eagletac battery and it was still a tight fit. I then wrapped some sandpaper around a small marker/pen and rubbed down the inside of the battery tube. Everything seems to fit much better now withought getting stuck. I don't fault the light on this small issue, it is possibly a size difference with the Eagletac 14500 battery. Overall it is not something I would worry about. I have read other 14500 batteries fit fine. I am pleased with this light so far. Now off to go play around with it some more.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The total energy capacity is roughly similar between an Eneloop and a 14500, so keep in mind if you're experiencing the benefits of increased output intensity, your runtime must logically go down. If the brightness is sufficient I always prefer the NiMH cells.

I always choose the 14500, it has several benefits IMO:

1) 500 lumen burst
2) Easy to apply a top off charge (especially helpful on an EDC)
3) Noticeably lighter (especially since the SC52 itself is not much bigger than the cell)
4) Flatter output on H1 (AA tends to continually taper on H1, Li-ion holds regulation much better)