Zebralight SC52 (XM-L, 1xAA, 1x14500) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

Tulip bush

Enlightened
Wow, in must take some time, effort and skill and not to mention commitment to do a review of a flashlight. My respect goes out to anybody who goes to all that effort.......far better than I could ever do it. It never fails to amaze me. Thanks on my behalf to all those that go to all that effort for us.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Wow, in must take some time, effort and skill and not to mention commitment to do a review of a flashlight.
Thank you for the support! Some reviews are more work than others - but everything that crosses my desk gets a fair and consistent treatment. FYI, for those who are curious, I describe my review philosophy a bit on my revamped flashlightreviews.ca website. :)

pblanch

Enlightened
Thanks selfbuilt great review. Wasn't really looking at a single AA as I had a 47's AA and I love the forward clicky (but the preflash is a killer for me) and my H51 and SC600 do everything in between.

Anyway I bought a SC52 regardless after reading you review. Just received and have to say the photo's don't do it any justice. The ZL photos make the head look ginormous but when I first saw it out of the pack, I thought that it looks just right.

Also I would like to see a change in the lumen/distance/ansi thing. I am going to change it to how many turkeys you can see both horizontally and vertically; and if beam has any type hotspot it would also have how far one can fly before you lose site of it. This would eliminate all confusion on the issue's and give the most accurate measurement of what to expect. It will be called the Lumturkey efficiency factor. I expect it will break new ground in the industry. Just don't ask how the waterproofing will be tested.

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
Selfbuilt, thanks for a once more enlightening review :)
Just a question: there is a cut-off threshold for Li-Ion 14500 cells, but how this flashlight behaves with Ni-Mh chemistry? I.e.: blinking etc.

Thanks

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Just a question: there is a cut-off threshold for Li-Ion 14500 cells, but how this flashlight behaves with Ni-Mh chemistry? I.e.: blinking etc.
I don't typically run my cells down far enough to notice low-voltage warning indicators in practice (i.e., I recharge often). And the review runtimes are done largely automated, so I wouldn't have noticed any flashing if had occurred there (unless it was sustained enough to be picked up with the lightbox sampling frequency). So I'm not sure if there is one on the SC52.

Or do you mean a cut-off for activation? Many lights will not come on with nearly deplete cells, but I haven't experimented with this either on the SC52.

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
I don't typically run my cells down far enough to notice low-voltage warning indicators in practice (i.e., I recharge often). And the review runtimes are done largely automated, so I wouldn't have noticed any flashing if had occurred there (unless it was sustained enough to be picked up with the lightbox sampling frequency). So I'm not sure if there is one on the SC52.

Or do you mean a cut-off for activation? Many lights will not come on with nearly deplete cells, but I haven't experimented with this either on the SC52.

Yes, I meant a cut-off or in suborder at least a flash warning.
When I insert a new Ni-Mh (I don't have 14500 around) I notice a breef flash (that to me means that battery type has been recognized) though, so I'd expect a cut-off....

Said that ZL released a new hot shot that eventually made me forget the 1x123 form factor. With the Sanyo Eneloop XX 2500mAh rated cells I scored 8hrs 3' till 50% at the highest Medium setting (50Lm per your review) and this definitely makes it my new EDC.
Great regulation, great output granularity and deadly accurate tint, with only a hint of a shift towards green at the various Low levels :)

Last edited:

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
I don't know if you'd consider it a low voltage indicator or not, but the light will step down when the battery doesn't have enough power to sustain the current level. It's very noticeable and serves as a low battery indicator.

holylight

Enlightened
very good and fair review self build. is painful to know the truth. but as consumer I need the truth. and your review has provided this. from my own opinion selfbuild and candle lamp did lots of very fair and detail review of flashlight and I salute them for the effort!!

Last edited:

RobCob

Newly Enlightened
Great review! Love my SC51 (don't understand why more people don't own Zebralights) and will seriously consider upgrading to the SC52 as soon as they put the XM-L2 in it.

blinkjr

Newly Enlightened
Selfbuilt - great review as always! I have an SC600 and a Xeno E03. Really like them both. But I find that if I don't use the SC600 almost daily, my touch for turning it on at the Low level is lost. Is the SC52 switch similar enough to the SC600 that swapping between them would not cause a problem? Did you find the SC52 more pocket-able than the E03?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Selfbuilt - great review as always! I have an SC600 and a Xeno E03. Really like them both. But I find that if I don't use the SC600 almost daily, my touch for turning it on at the Low level is lost. Is the SC52 switch similar enough to the SC600 that swapping between them would not cause a problem? Did you find the SC52 more pocket-able than the E03?
Interesting question ... I know what you mean about the timings. I find I have to "relearn" the exact Zebralight timings when I haven't handled one in a while (basically, hold the switch for a fraction of a second longer than typical). I haven't directly compared the SC600 and SC52, but I think the timings are pretty much the same.

As for pocketability, the SC52 is a bit shorter, so you may find it easier. I've always carried mine on a belt, so height isn't an issue.

ruf997tt

Newly Enlightened
I have both the SC52 and Xeno E03 and I like 'em both. Both are XM-L and with a 14500 there's not much difference in effective light output.

The SC52, IMO, has the best UI. From off, press > .6secs and you are in low, less than .6 secs and you are in high. Press and hold to go L-M-H or H-M-L (depending on where you started, H or L). Double press to switch through stage 1 and stage 2 at each level so essentially you have 6 different lumen levels. It will remember what stage you set for each level too. From on, press < .6secs to turn off.

The SC52 is shorter by 3/4" but the head is a bit larger. Weight for all practical purposes is close enough to be the same. SC52 has a clip but no real lanyard attachment. The E03 doesn't have a clip but does have lanyard attachment holes.

Of course the E03 is rear clicky and the SC52 side button.

blinkjr

Newly Enlightened
Selfbuilt - thanks for confirming I'm not the only one that experiences the relearning process. I didn't specify in my post, but my Xeno is XM-L and I normally run it on a 14500. I carry it with me in my briefcase and will grab it for use as often as I do my SC600. Hence, my relearning dilemma.

ruf997tt - I really enjoy the ZL UI and side button. For me, it's much more useful in my day to day uses. I bought both the SC600 and the E03 at the same time, mainly because of their output and use of LiIon cells. Had the SC52 been around, I probably would have purchased it. And, I probably will buy one in the future. I'll give the E03 to my wife.

Both - I don't normally pocket carry either of these. But I will pocket the E03 ocasionally. I was some concerned the size of the SC52 head would make it very uncomforatable in the pocket.

Thanks!

ruf997tt

Newly Enlightened
Both - I don't normally pocket carry either of these. But I will pocket the E03 ocasionally. I was some concerned the size of the SC52 head would make it very uncomforatable in the pocket.

Thanks!

I don't pocket carry either since I got a Preon P1 from another member here. I do prefer to carry the E03 when walking the dogs (and picking up after them) simply because of the rear clicky. I find it a bit more convenient in the downward hold position. For almost everything else I prefer the side button hold position.

Another point in favor of the SC52 is the ease in finding the button in your hand. I have a couple of Nitecore EC25's, and while I really like them, I always have trouble locating the button by feel. Not so with the SC52. It just naturally falls into place, maybe because of the clip.

Last edited:

JJohn

Enlightened
I read through almost all the above posts but did not get a feel for what the tint was of the most recent SC52. Yes, I know it is called cool-white but there have been mixed reports of very cool/blue and very neutral white. What is the general consensus of the beam color? I am trying to decide whether I should wait for the neutral version. I don't like blue nor do I like too warm of tints.

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
I read through almost all the above posts but did not get a feel for what the tint was of the most recent SC52. Yes, I know it is called cool-white but there have been mixed reports of very cool/blue and very neutral white. What is the general consensus of the beam color? I am trying to decide whether I should wait for the neutral version. I don't like blue nor do I like too warm of tints.

Mine is about 5600-5700K, thus definitely not on the blue side. Noon direct sunlight is about 5350°K.