Zebralight SC60 is being discontinued.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well my will power ran out...I ordered another one today but this time it's a NEUTRAL! :cool:

I will have an SC600w when they come out but I don't expect it will see as much pocket time at the SC60w. I don't like a light any fatter (or heavier) than the SC60 for jeans. Basically, the SC60 is my size limit for a true EDC. And often I carry only one of my SC30ws (another great light.) I think the SC600w will be great for coat pockets this fall and winter.

Glock27

Enlightened
SC60 O-Rings: Danco #30 O-Rings Model # 96744
Find them at Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace, etc.
Replacement seals for SC60's!

G27

Shenanigans

Newly Enlightened
Too bad. The SC60 and SC60w are my "go to" lights. I hope they replace them with something new. I have a SC600, but I find it's too big to EDC for all situations.

"No SC60 replacement/upgrade planned." This is the reply I got from Lillian @ ZL.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
And often I carry only one of my SC30ws (another great light.) I think the SC600w will be great for coat pockets this fall and winter.

It's nice that it gets cooler at the same time that the night gets longer. Large coat pockets let me get carry use out of lights that are otherwise too big to EDC.

--flatline

Philonous

Newly Enlightened
The only direct competition the SC60 had or was going to have (due to it's UI and taking 18650s) was the SC600...and that's a much bigger light and far less EDCable.

Sure, but why go 18650 when you will get the same output in a smaller package from the AA T5? When 1x18650 confers a huge advantage over 1xAA (a la the SC600), it makes sense, but when the T5 offers a brighter, smaller light running on a cheaper, safer cell, it's hard to find the SC60 compelling. The only dealbreaker I can see is that the T5 is a tail-clicky instead of a side-clicky.

No question, the SC60 was a great light, but Zebralight's AA models are simply eclipsing that technology, so I can understand why they're phasing it out.

yowzer

Enlightened
I just opened a package from IlluminationGear with a SC60w in it. Glad I ordered it when I did instead of waiting any longer.

I'm as much a fan of small super high output lights as the next guy, but for most practical purposes, anything more than 200 lumens or so is massive overkill for my EDC needs. I hardly ever use my Spark SL6 on high or turbo, except when showing off, for example. This SC60 is a nice size to hold (More comfortable than my SC50 for longer term use) while still being small enough for easy pants pocket carry, and good range of output. It's a shame it's been discontinued before any similar replacement models (Like this T5? I'm not familiar with it... but tail clicky doesn't sound exciting. One of the great things about ZL is the side clicky, which is so much nicer a place to put a switch than the tail.) are shipping.

I just got it and I already know it's going to replace my SC50 for almost everything I use that light for.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was never happy about it only accepting button top cells. All of my 18650's are flat top and didn't work in the one I tried, so I gave up on it.

yowzer

Enlightened
I was never happy about it only accepting button top cells. All of my 18650's are flat top and didn't work in the one I tried, so I gave up on it.

I should have mentioned that my Redilast 2600's are too fat to fit in (Like they are on a number of other lights). Good thing I have a few AW2200s as well. I think those are the only 18650s I'm going to get in the future. The slight loss in run time in exchange for wider compatibility with lights doesn't really bother me.

Darvis

Enlightened
I broke down after seeing this and ordered two from IG- can't wait; and since I like cool tint lights, more the better.

Did not realize they were button top only, luckily I really only use IMRs these days, so I'm stoked!!!

Big Sam

Newly Enlightened
This is my second night of using my SC60w. Mighty nice light. Bright, easy to use and small. All I can assume is Zebralight has something better coming. BTW, the battery compartment is smaller in diameter than my SC600. Not a lot but enough to make a difference with some brands (a good enough reason to update the light all by itself and there are a couple other reasons). My AW 2200's are a perfect fit. Seems to be a very functional light for the real world. Zebralight will have a hard time beating that.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just opened a package from IlluminationGear with a SC60w in it. Glad I ordered it when I did instead of waiting any longer.

We must have ordered these the same day as I received mine from IlluminationGear the same day you did. One of us may have gotten their last one. I'm glad I ordered then too.

I have about a half dozen ZLs but that doesn't keep me from being impressed with this SC60w. The tint is perfect. No blue and it's not yellow ether. It's identical to my SC51w. Or very close. Beautiful beam, of course. It's actually a bit brighter than I was expecting but has less throw then I expected because of the increased output over the SC51w. It has a nice tight hot-spot when white-walling from 10-20ft, but outdoors everything 50-100ft could be described as a wall of light. It does reach out further than that also. The hot spot spreads out due to the small reflector. Very nice for looking around the yard while not missing anything to the sides. It's great for that!

My AW2600 flat-top would not work in it. I added a blob of solder to the top and it then fired up. I have other 18650 button tops also so I not restricted to using just that one anyways.

I'm very happy that I got one of these before they were all gone. I really love the tint of Zebras neutral XP-G's. I have several. I'm wondering what their neutral XM-L's will look like in the SC600w & Q50w. We'll see. I hope it's something close.

I have been carrying the SC51w on me since I got it but for the last couple of days, I of course tried the 60. This thing feels like a real flashlight! You know in your mind it's bright enough for anything you'll need it for, and it has plenty of runtime to boot. Not too big, not too small. These are nice.

Shame they're being discontinued.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure, but why go 18650 when you will get the same output in a smaller package from the AA T5? When 1x18650 confers a huge advantage over 1xAA (a la the SC600), it makes sense, but when the T5 offers a brighter, smaller light running on a cheaper, safer cell, it's hard to find the SC60 compelling. The only dealbreaker I can see is that the T5 is a tail-clicky instead of a side-clicky.

No question, the SC60 was a great light, but Zebralight's AA models are simply eclipsing that technology, so I can understand why they're phasing it out.

"The only dealbreaker I can see is that the T5 is a tail-clicky instead of a side-clicky."

I think you kinda answered your own question. There is no other EDC that offers the SC60's combination of output, UI, and runtime in this size. It is unique in this regard. So far as AAs v/s 18650s I guess it's just a matter of opinion...but my opinion is that the AA platform (while convenient) simply doesn't come close to the capacity of an 18650 which to me is really not that much larger.

The SC600 certainly doesn't seem like a direct replacement for the SC60 since it is longer, much wider, and far heavier than the SC60. Two different animals, IMO.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, for anyone buying an SC60, the Redilast 2900s have worked great in mine. Just an FYI for ya'll if you will be battery shopping.

Philonous

Newly Enlightened
"The only dealbreaker I can see is that the T5 is a tail-clicky instead of a side-clicky."

I think you kinda answered your own question. There is no other EDC that offers the SC60's combination of output, UI, and runtime in this size. It is unique in this regard. So far as AAs v/s 18650s I guess it's just a matter of opinion...but my opinion is that the AA platform (while convenient) simply doesn't come close to the capacity of an 18650 which to me is really not that much larger.

The SC600 certainly doesn't seem like a direct replacement for the SC60 since it is longer, much wider, and far heavier than the SC60. Two different animals, IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I can see why people love the SC60. Nice as my SC600 is, the larger head means you just can't EDC it (then again, I felt my LD10 was a bit big for pocket carry, so I don't think the SC60 would have persuaded me either, but that's clearly just personal preference).

However, I don't think what you said about size really stacks up. For example, based on current specs the difference in length between T5 and the SC60 will be greater than between the SC60 and the SC600, and the difference in weights will probably be similarly proportionate. Now the capacity of 18650 is definitely a major plus, but when you look at form factor and performance, there's no getting around the fact that compared with ZebraLight's 2011/2012 lights, the SC60 is technologically dated. What's more, the recent rush of last orders aside, it probably wasn't selling that well (as most of the kewl dudes here at CPF have already made that wise investment).

To be absolutely clear, I totally understand how the unique size/UI/output/chemistry combination made this an attractive option for many. But when I look at ZL's upcoming lights, and what they have to offer, I can understand why they're ending production.

Philonous

Newly Enlightened
Well, to say you can't do may have been putting it a bit strongly... :D

Still, a lot of people do find it too bulky to comfortably a trouser pocket. For me it's definitely a bag-light. Now if I could justify buying one of Hogokansatsukan's awesome leather holsters... mmmmmm...

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now if I could justify buying one of Hogokansatsukan's awesome leather holsters... mmmmmm...

You can always justify a Hogokansatsukan leather holster just on the off-chance that you might want to holster carry the light. Seriously, they're works of art.

--flatline

OfficerSheepDog

Newly Enlightened
Been using my AW 2600 mah pretty much since i got it, It stopped making contact, so i heated up the sauter gun, and put some on the top of my AW cell. Works better than alcohol in women.