Zebralight SC62w or SC600w Mk III Hi - Your Preference

Witterings

Enlightened
SC62w. Wish I would have picked up another before they sold them all.

Because they'd taken them off their website I found a 2nd hand one and ordered that ... the following day they put them back up but showing out of stock and the following day they had stock in and I thought why not so ordered a 2nd :thumbsup:

The same happened on their website with the SC52w which appeared very briefly at the same time so ordered one of those as well :)

fnsooner

Enlightened
Because they'd taken them off their website I found a 2nd hand one and ordered that ... the following day they put them back up but showing out of stock and the following day they had stock in and I thought why not so ordered a 2nd :thumbsup:

The same happened on their website with the SC52w which appeared very briefly at the same time so ordered one of those as well :)
Thanks for the heads up on ZL putting them back up on their site. They show "Out of Stock" at the moment. I'll keep an eye open for them to restock.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the SC62w, but I am very happy with my SC600w Mk III HI. I EDC it every day in my office khakis, and it does not feel too big or bulky.

It gets used every night on dog-walking, and many days as a head-light on the bike handle-bars (with a Two-Fish block).

I'm sure that the SC62w is excellent as well.

Cunha

Newly Enlightened
I just realized this was discussing the sc62w not the sc63w why the interest in previous model? The smaller emitter?

markr6

Flashaholic
I just realized this was discussing the sc62w not the sc63w why the interest in previous model? The smaller emitter?

They're about the same, but the SC62 has a ribbed body and uses springs to hold the battery opposed to "pogo pins" in the SC63. The pins are much less forgiving in terms of the length of battery you can use.

recDNA

Flashaholic
They're about the same, but the SC62 has a ribbed body and uses springs to hold the battery opposed to "pogo pins" in the SC63. The pins are much less forgiving in terms of the length of battery you can use.
Yes many have complained of marked up batteries. though I haven't heard of a battery being punctured nor failing to function. I just prefer everything about the 62w to the newer models. Zebralight has even lost some dealers where I used to actually purchase their lights like Brightguy

gottawearshades

Enlightened

After the 63 came out, I bought a second and third 62w. I usually use ~300 lumen-setting or lower, and the 62 has the advantage of fitting pretty much any 18650, so I couldn't see any reason to buy the full-priced upgrade. A great light to drop in the pocket of a blazer, just in case.

I do also have an SC600 III HI. Love that one, too, but it doesn't disappear in the pocket like the 62/63.

Witterings

Enlightened

As others picked up on the flexibility with battery is one reason as I have a number that would fit the 62w and not the 63 but also whilst neither the 62 or 63 could be classed as throwers, most comments I'd seen said the 62 was less floody than the 63 which is my preference.

The whole thread was more just as a matter of interest rather than anything specific .... if I had to choose and could only keep one of the two I'd really struggle with which one went and which to keep!!!

Witterings

Enlightened
I've been out night after night recently trying one against the other ... and have also taken out a number of other lights to give some direct comparison as well .. :grin2:

Others I've compared them against are Manker E11 (because it's smaller and more pocketable and supposedly will run 100 lm for 11 hrs)
Convoy S2
Manker T01 II
Nitecore MH20GT
Led Lenser both the T7.2 and TT
Niteye / Jetbeam II Pro.

If I had to make a decision here and now between the 2 I originally posted about and could only keep one ... I think it'd have to be the SC62w for core everyday use / dog walking .. it's marginally more pocketable and also unless you need a lot of throw for a specific reason it has a nicer beam closer in for walking in the dark and if 1000 lm isn't enough to highlight something untoward in the distance chances are a slightly better thrower isn't going to make a massive difference and it's time to run anayway.

The SC600 Mk III Hi ... it does have a better throw but not as nice a beam close up for walking and realistically how often do you need to blind someone at 200 plus yds ..... you can argue that it is a happy medium between flood and throw and is still an absolutely amasing light but does it fall between the gaps and there are better flood lights and better throwers (MH20 GT) ... seriously though that's not knocking it - it's still an amasing light and I have absolutely no intention of selling mine.

Comments on other lights in comparison that others may find useful.

Nitecore MH20Gt ... hard core thrower in relative terms to the SC600 Mk III Hi if that's what you're looking for but not nearly so usable for everyday use and not as nice a tint but will always be my number one for shooting at night!!!

Manker E11 ... great light but AA which doesn't have nearly the run time ... one of mine I replaced the LED with an XP-L Hi with a warmer colour and it's amasing and more pocketable than a 18650 ... simply comes down to the run time you want and not quite as bright as a 18650 (but close) against a slightly larger torch.

LED lenser ... They're just S*-t ...

Convoy S2 ... brilliant light .... BUT needs some more modes ... I so often use the ZL's at the mid setting once your eyes adjust to the dark ... if they offered this they could seriously compete at a fraction of the cost but they are quite a bit longer and not nearly so pocketable which is a shame .... maybe I need a short tube version of one :)

Manker T01 II ... If you want something very pocketable that throws like F*&k for it's size ... this is a great light ... in so many ways I could potentially put this as my number one for all scenarios as the beam is " OK" for general use although the tint could be a smidge better ... I seriously doubt there's anything else in it's size / AA category that will compete in terms of throw so again you're down to run time vs 18650 and some others offer a slightly nicer tint and maybe a slightly nicer all purpose beam but not NEARLY as much throw ...

Niteye / Jetbeam II Pro ... One of the nicest beam profiles of every light I have ... that's also in comparison to the ZL's but we're down to small battery / run time and it is quite a cool white which isn't so appealing but does have the advantage of getting lost in a pocket until you need it (great one for a short walk back from the pub) ... if they could make this exact torch slightly longer to take an 18650 in a similar size to SC 62/63 and a warmer tint than the current one they could have an absolute winner on their hands.

I've also just started cycling again ... following several months off from surgery ... I didn't have a 62 until now and always used to use the SC600 Hi which has been brilliant ... I should be able to try the 62 in the very near future and will post a comparison ... it was on the back of other comments I'd seen in some other threads that I absolutely had to have a 62 to compare it against.

Hope some or any of that's of some use to someone!!!!

Last edited:

Witterings

Enlightened
The convoy s2 is super easy to mod for more modes

Is it as easy to make it 22 mm's shorter as well :grin2:

I may well come back and ask how in the not too distant future as I'd seriously be interested in doing that ... it's a brilliant torch as it is and without that limitation would be an even better torch .... think it'd push me to getting an S2+ as well if I could!!!

Witterings

Enlightened
Use the short tube. :)

I didn't realise when I ordered it but the short tube only fits the S2+ and not the S2 so I have a tube that doesn't fit that said I'm sure I'#ll end up with the 2+ at some stage as well so it won't be wasted

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
What?! No way. I had no idea. The s2+ is cheap and easy to get though at least. I like mine bare.

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1490458192.962082.jpg