Zebralight Summary

Hi Daniel,
Zebra looks great doesn't it? Good enough to navigate the Tatry and the Sierra.
Hi :wave:, yes it seems to be a perfect headlamp for our needs - I can't wait to take it to the woods with me.
I was just thinking about a small trip in the Tatry mountains, I have to ask friends if someone is willing to come with me :).

I am amazed :wow:. I don't see any very noticable artifacts on the white wall, it's much better than many other flashlights/headlamps - it's perfect for me.
The last picture with the hallway - that's unbelievable, didn't you use the flash on your camera? :D
Thanks for doing this.

Some artifacts are still there, but we did managed to subdued most of the Cree rings with the lens (or a TIR, technically speaking).

The hallway picture was taken with a long exposure time of 15 seconds at F8, ISO 640. The headlamp was set to High with some 83 torch lumens out of the front (or the side in the case of the H50).

I'd sure like to add this light to my stable of headlamps!

Will it be available at a variety of retailers (REI?) or just through the manufacturer?

If the clip is going to delay the shipping for more than 2-3 weeks, then I think I would take the headlamp without the clip and you can ship it later. That's difficult to decide. The clip is a good idea and makes the headlamp more versatile.

I'd sure like to add this light to my stable of headlamps!

Will it be available at a variety of retailers (REI?) or just through the manufacturer?

I think George has mentioned that they would prefer to handle sales through their upcoming website.

Daniel, I wanted to hike the Tatry with you but I've missed my train connection.:oops:
BTW, did you hear about that strange storm in northern Poland?:eek:

Steve, don't worry about the missed train :D, I stayed at home today anyway. It's getting dark now (20:00), I think I'll take one light and make a short walk to the near forest :grin2:.
I read in the newspaper about the storm - 3 people killed and 10 missing, such strong storms are not common here.
I am sure we will meet one day, the world is small :).

Now on-topic - I must buy some Eneloops for the Zebralight ASAP :).

Last edited:
Nice beamshots!!! Thanks.

From the first post on this thread:

"Beam Type: Flood, no reflector or optics used."

...Some artifacts are still there, but we did managed to subdued most of the Cree rings with the lens (or a TIR, technically speaking)...

By TIR, I assume you mean total internal reflection (i.e. optic). So you have a small optic on there then? It's impossible to tell from the pic.

Nice beamshots!!! Thanks.

From the first post on this thread:

"Beam Type: Flood, no reflector or optics used."

By TIR, I assume you mean total internal reflection (i.e. optic). So you have a small optic on there then? It's impossible to tell from the pic.

I must say that the ealier statement about "no optics used" is not correct. Our ealier prototype lens didn't do a good job at smoothing out artifacts and we later redesigned (software simulated and prototyped) the lens. The lens is small, but it modifies (by reflection and refraction) the optical charactors of the beam from a bare LED, similar to what others (e.g. earlier INOVAs) are trying to achieve with their TIR systems. That said, we'd still prefer to call it simply a lens.

It will be difficult to operate with one hand.
zebra... thanks for all your honesty... honesty is going to keep your business successful...

i am VERY impressed with the photos you have posted... i am very excited for your headlamps!

personally... i just got to have Lithium Ion as an option for my headlamps... i run a single 10440 in an EOS w/ a SSC P4 and i just can't go back to using old battery chemistries...

personally... i just got to have Lithium Ion as an option for my headlamps... i run a single 10440 in an EOS w/ a SSC P4 and i just can't go back to using old battery chemistries...

Now that there are NiMH rechargeables with *very* low self-discharge I don't see any real reason to use Li-Ion for a headlamp. Much safer chemistry than Li-Ion without any of the problems that put so many people off NiMHs.

Hans

Last edited:
zebra... thanks for all your honesty... honesty is going to keep your business successful...

I Agree! When you look at the 1st post of this thread at all the info that Zebralight (Cheers George!) has given and their general willingness to listen and engage with their potential customers through this forum they deserve sucess. I for one will be doing my bit.

Do you have a mailing list for when these are going to be released? I'm going on a motorcycle camping trip in Florida this Christmas and I'm going to want to buy at least two of these things, maybe 4. I definitely don't want to miss out!

EDIT: I'd be in for either an 18650 version or CR123a version too... I love 18650s....

Last edited:
nzbazza, many thanks for all your work on this thread - your continuous updating of post #1 has made it an extremely useful reference.

Now that there are NiMH rechargeables with *very* low self-discharge I don't see any real reason to use Li-Ion for a headlamp. Much safer chemistry than Li-Ion without any of the problems that put so many people off NiMHs.

Hans
I agree, Li-ion are a pain in the ***, and they get F**ed due to aging regardless cycles. They are usefull when it comes to big batts like 11 Ah ones.