Zetex 310 based boost converter with 1 amp output.

*Retired*
Re: Zetex 310 based boost converter with 1 amp out

[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
[ QUOTE ]
dat2zip said:
In fact I have a derivative of the Nexgen that will do more than 1A from a single 123 cell and it is fully regulated constant current design.

[/ QUOTE ]

/highjack alert!/
Also, am I understanding correctly that driving a circuit at 3v with 1x123 is "better" (whatever that means electronically) than using a 2xAA config? Can someone please explain why this is so, or point to a source I could check? I'm trying to educat myself on the electronix world.
Thanks!
/Highjack off/

[/ QUOTE ]

greenLED

Lets take an imaginary converter.

Consider the sag of the NiMH under high loads and also the 123 cell. Think about the internal resistance of the battery. Then think about how the cell voltage sags over time under load. Consider the starting voltage. Remember power in is voltage * current = power. You want power.

But remember there is resistance in the MOSFET/Transistor to ground. Higher voltage means you need less current for the same power. The majority of loss in the MOSFET is due to Power = Current^2 * resistance. So, a small decrease in input voltage means you need more current, but the losses in the mosfet are due to Current being squared, so it takes it's toll quickly.

The same type of thing happens as the battery sags.

In every battery, you will find some internal resistance. This causes the cell voltage to sag such as when you put a 1 Amp load on it. A NiMH that I have here charged two days ago. When it isn't under load, the voltage across it reads 1.287V. When I put a 1 Amp load on it, it's output voltage drops to 1.190V. If I was utilizing two of these, the voltage would be 2.574 Volts, and under a 1 Amp load, the voltage would drop to 2.380 Volts, and they would sag from this over time as they were drained.

But, if I set everything up, such that I needed 2.574V on the input at 1A for 2.54W going in, and then the voltage dropped to 2.38V, then I'd need to draw 1.07A to maintain the same power going in. As the cell is used, the battery voltage continues to drop. Lets look at the point As the cells drain down to their 1.8V ( 0.9V each) cut-off point, I'd need to draw 1.41 Amps to maintain a flat light output level down to the battery cut-off point.

Now, let say your input MOSFET had 0.1 ohms. With 2.54V off the battery and 1A flowing into the input, there would be Power = Current^2 * resistance loss, or 0.1 Watt of loss. Keep in mind we are not including the output MOSFET/schotty diode loss or the power needed to drive the MOSFET gate, nor the power needed to make the control circuits function. So then we take the power lost and divide it by our input power. 0.1W/2.54W= 0.04 or 4% loss due to the resistance just in the input MOSFET.

Now, when we drop on down to 1.8V at 1.41A, things change.
Power = Current^2 * resistance. The MOSFET had 0.1 ohms of resistance. So 1.41^2 * .1 = 0.20 Watts of loss. We have 2.54W input, so the power loss in the MOSFET due resistance/input power, or 0.20W/2.54W = 0.0787 or 7.87 % loss.

Then we go on to the schottky diode, such as used in the BB and these Zetex converters, on the output side of things. There are some super low loss schottky diodes that will have a Vf of only 0.3V when 1A flows through them. Well, power also equals Power = Voltage * Current. Since we are always putting out 1A in a constant currrent converter, this loss is easy to figure. 0.3V * 1A = 0.3W So, we had 2.54W, so we take this 0.3W/2.54W = 0.031 or 3.1% loss.

So with a new battery, only accounting for just two of the loss factors (there are many more), we'd have 7.1% losses with a fresh cell, and 10.97% losses near the cut-out.

You still need to add in losses due to the inductor DC resistance, eddy current losses in the inductor, B-H losses in the inductor, power lost driving the gate charge in the MOSFET, power lost in the circuit that drives the gate, losses due to charging and discharging the MOSFET body diode (internal to the MOSFET), losses from driving the capacitance in the schottky diode, losses from operating the control circuitry in the chip, losses due to the ripple current in the capacitors, and several other minor loss factors. But for know, we will keep it basic and simple.

Remember how we wanted 2.54W on the input? Well if I start off with a 123 cell that has 3.2V, remembering that Power = Voltage * Current, swapping things around Current = Power/Voltage, so the input current needed is 2.54W/3.2V= 0.79 Amps. Guess what, you have less amps flowing in the input MOSFET, and the losses here drop down to only 2.5%. If the batteries had the same internal resistance, this lower input current necessary, would also mean you'd have less input voltage drop due pulling less current out of the battery. Then the 123 Lithium battery typically has a rather flat discharge curve, so the current drawn towards the end wouldn't go as high, both from the less internal loss and from the higher voltage at the end of battery life.

It's late, and I hope you were able to follow things through all of this.

Now, lets look at things further. Most Luxeon LEDs are around 3.9V when you have 1 Amp flowing in them. P=I*V (I is Current), so in reality, we need 3.9 Watts.

For a moment, imagine you had an imaginary unrealistic absolutely losses converter.

Under load, my two NiMH cell voltages added up to 2.380 Volts. Okay, so how much input current do we need to produce 3.9W? Power/voltage= current 3.9W / 2.38V = 1.64 Amps. Humm, I go back and measure my NiMH voltage at 1.64 Amps and find that the Output voltage of the two NiMH cells drops to 2.28 Volts. Ouch. So I go back and take 3.9W/2.28V= 1.7A I'll need to pull from the batteries. So I again go back and measure the cells, this time at 1.7A, and I find the output voltage of the cells drops to 2.268 Volts. Going back and doing back and repeating again, 3.9W/2.268 Volts = 1.72A, and we get to 2.2648V. Okay, lets stop here.

The next major loss in the circuit is most likely the inductor, but we won't go into things that deep right now.

Hopefully you get the basic idea...when you start with a higher voltage, you need less current on the input, and the losses in the converter (for a boost) will be less. Basically a win-win type thing.

lamperich

Enlightened

@greenLED
i don´t think so 2 good nimhs are pretty similar to 1 Cr123A even at 2A load. cr123a maybe are a little bit better.
BUT!!! if you store the flashlight for a longer time 2-4 weeks the internal resistance of rechargeables even nimh´s rise up again -> must high capacity nimh´s lose there voltage under high load... how much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
unfortunatley this differs between the each manufacturs. even nonames

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=772562&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1

sec. thing worth to mention is that rechargables shoudn´t be over discharged!
that´s all i know till now.

and don´t forget that
Carbon zinc vs alkali vs. nimh vs. lithium all AA size http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=859021&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

@arc great work but as datzip already said i also prefer more details.
Ui+ Ii vs. Uout & Iout /Eff

please: not only Ui vs Eff plots. they suck

like this. :)
Uin | Iin | Uout | Iout | Eff
-----------------------------
6.0 | 375 | 6.42 | 310 | 88.5
5.5 | 408 | 6.40 | 305 | 87.0
5.0 | 451 | 6.37 | 303 | 85.6
4.8 | 481 | 6.38 | 310 | 85.7
4.5 | 520 | 6.37 | 310 | 84.4
4.0 | 579 | 6.31 | 299 | 81.5

That booster above don´t have an over-discharged protection.
But that´s pretty good for 4 D size Alkalines /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Bye the way alkalines sucks in most 1 and 2 cell flashlights.
look at the new nuwai 1aaa vs. 2aaa
here the reason why...http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=744320&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

That´s my knowlegds till now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
please correct me if i´m wrong

@ NewBie good posting
happy14.gif

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:
It's late, and I hope you were able to follow things through all of this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey Newbie, this applies to the poster too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
There are a few corrections needed to your otherwise excellent explaination. One is arithmetic, the other a conceptual error that is attributable to midnight posting since I know that you do understand the concept.

[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:
Then we go on to the schottky diode, such as used in the BB and these Zetex converters, on the output side of things. There are some super low loss schottky diodes that will have a Vf of only 0.3V when 1A flows through them. Well, power also equals Power = Voltage * Current. Since we are always putting out 1A in a constant currrent converter, this loss is easy to figure. 0.3V * 1A = 0.3W So, we had 2.54W, so we take this 0.3W/2.54W = 0.031 or 3.1% loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arithmetic: 0.3W/2.54W does not equal 0.031

Conceptual: This is not the correct formula since the schottky is not conducting 100% of the time. To avoid all of the complicated duty cycle versions of the correct formula, an easy approximation is to take the loss fraction to be (Vfschottky)/(Vfschottky + Vfled) We understand, of course, that this *slightly* overstates the loss since it is not acting on the full input power but instead the input power reduced by the losses up to that point.

Unrelated comment, it appears that regarding GreenLEDs original question, at really heavy loads, over an amp, good quality 2xAA NiMh may out perform the 1XCR123 option due to higher terminal voltage. See links posted by others above for CR123 discharge curves.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
lamperich said:
@ doug

by the way
good standard nimhs are able do draw up to 2C

which voltage they have look in the datasheet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
http://sanyo.wslogic.com/pdf/pdf/HR-3U(2100).pdf

[/ QUOTE ]
Lamperich: is that the link you intended? It doesn't look very useful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
pbarrette said:
Hi Doug,

I think he was referring to this one:
http://sanyo.wslogic.com/pdf/pdfs/HR-3U-2300.pdf

[/ QUOTE ]
Looking at that one, to my eye it looks like about 1.15V average at 2300mA or 2.3V for two cells. Looking at Silverfox's 2A discharge graphs for 123 cells, the very best averages 2.025V if you divide his Whr figure by his Ahr figure. It looks like the NiMh would be the clear winner in this case considering the sensitivity of stepup switcher efficiency to input voltage.

lamperich

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Doug S said:
[ QUOTE ]
lamperich said:
@ doug

by the way
good standard nimhs are able do draw up to 2C

which voltage they have look in the datasheet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
http://sanyo.wslogic.com/pdf/pdf/HR-3U(2100).pdf

[/ QUOTE ]
Lamperich: is that the link you intended? It doesn't look very useful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

eek.gif

YES of course but they chance it...
c010.gif

go for that http://sanyo.wslogic.com/pdf/pdfs/HR-3U-2300.pdf /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Apologies in advance for the waste of bandwidth, but- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Jar, I am a mechanical type, but I followed and actually understood your last post! Good one! (Though I didn't catch the math error. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

(Sure glad you guys ain't beating-up my favorite 700mAH (at some trickle discharge rating) formfactor cell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Larry

gpk

Newly Enlightened

Hey Newbie I'd love to find out more on the 61030 driver circuit; is the design public or is it classified ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seems I always start trouble by asking questions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gpk

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
Doug S said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true.

[ QUOTE ]
Doug S said:
Conceptual: This is not the correct formula since the schottky is not conducting 100% of the time. To avoid all of the complicated duty cycle versions of the correct formula, an easy approximation is to take the loss fraction to be (Vfschottky)/(Vfschottky + Vfled) We understand, of course, that this *slightly* overstates the loss since it is not acting on the full input power but instead the input power reduced by the losses up to that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your loss equation for the schottky diode at first glance to be inadequate, and appears to be quite wrong looking at it further and quite significantly underestimating the loss in the schottky diode???

I'll have to differ on a point though. The average current comming out of the output side is 1A. Thus the current in the diode could easily be 2A, depending on the input voltage which affects the duty cycle, at which point the diode drops more voltage across it. Remember, to get 1A output, since the current flowing in the schottky diode is only on for a portion of the duty cycle, the current will increase significantly above 1A- directly in porportion to the duty cycle.

http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Diodes_Inc/Web%20Data/1N5819HW.pdf

The new fancy dancy Zetex schottky is in the same boat:
http://www.zetex.com/3.0/pdf/ZHCS1000.pdf

At 2 Amps the Vf jumps to 0.5V. So the losses are P= V * I
2 Amps * 0.5 Volts = 1W of loss. If the duty cycle was 50%, then we'd have an average power loss of 0.5W. Remember the Vf of the LED was 3.9 and the current 1 Amp = 3.9W output.
So, 0.5W/3.9W= 0.128 or 12.8% loss from the schottky diode alone.

Sounds alot worse.

It gets complicated yes, to get more specific, but here is a common approx. found in many switcher datasheets, and works out to pretty darn close to reality, even though the math isn't specific:
http://www.linear.com./pc/downloadDocument.do?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1042,C1031,C1115,P1597,D1509

Page 14, starts right at the top.

"and the average power dissipation (PD) in the diode is:
PD = (IOUT)(Vf)
where Vf is the forward voltage of the diode at ***peak***
current. "

So, if you want to make things a tad more complicated, but still keeping things simple, figure out the Vf drop at peak current, and use the average current out.

So, we'd have 2A peak with a Vf drop of 0.55, and an average current out of 1A. So 0.55 * 1A = 0.55 Watts lost in the schottky alone, or 0.55W/3.9W = 0.14 or 14% loss due to the schottky, so we start at 86% efficiency before we even account for MOSFET or Inductor losses. Tack in the MOSFET loss, and add in the Inductor loss, and you are in the 70's % efficiency range quite quickly.

BTW, for those curious, the duty cycle is 1 – (Vbatt/Vout)
In our case, 2.2V off the NiMH, and we need to make 3.9V.
so 1 - (2.2V/3.9V) = 44% So the MOSFET is on for 44% of the time and the schottky diode is on 56% of the time. So the diode current would be about 1.8 Amps. So the schottky diode drop would be about 0.5V.

Of course, that is if I am still thinking clearly at 1:42 am in the morning.

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:
[ QUOTE ]
Doug S said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true.

[ QUOTE ]
Doug S said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Your loss equation for the schottky looks to be inadequate, and appears to be quite wrong looking at it further, grossly under estimating the losses in the schottky diode.

I'll have to differ on a point though. The average current comming out of the output side is 1A. Thus the current in the diode could easily be 2A, depending on the input voltage which affects the duty cycle, at which point the diode drops more voltage across it. Remember, to get 1A output, since the current flowing in the schottky diode is only on for a portion of the duty cycle, the current will increase significantly above 1A- directly in porportion to the duty cycle.

http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Diodes_Inc/Web%20Data/1N5819HW.pdf

The new fancy dancy Zetex schottky is in the same boat:
http://www.zetex.com/3.0/pdf/ZHCS1000.pdf

At 2 Amps the Vf jumps to 0.5V. So the losses are P= V * I
2 Amps * 0.5 Volts = 1W of loss. If the duty cycle was 50%, then we'd have an average power loss of 0.5W. Remember the Vf of the LED was 3.9 and the current 1 Amp = 3.9W output.
So, 0.5W/3.9W= 0.128 or 12.8% loss from the schottky diode alone.

Sounds alot worse.

It gets complicated yes, to get more specific, but here is a common approx. found in many switcher datasheets, and works out to pretty darn close to reality, even though the math isn't specific:
http://www.linear.com./pc/downloadDocument.do?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1042,C1031,C1115,P1597,D1509

Page 14, starts right at the top.

"and the average power dissipation (PD) in the diode is:
PD = (IOUT)(Vf)
where Vf is the forward voltage of the diode at ***peak***
current. "

So, if you want to make things a tad more complicated, but still keeping things simple, figure out the Vf drop at peak current, and use the average current out.

So, we'd have 2A peak with a Vf drop of 0.55, and an average current out of 1A. So 0.55 * 1A = 0.55 Watts lost in the schottky alone, or 0.55W/3.9W = 0.14 or 14% loss due to the schottky, so we start at 86% efficiency before we even account for MOSFET or Inductor losses. Tack in the MOSFET loss, and add in the Inductor loss, and you are in the 70's % efficiency range quite quickly.

BTW, for those curious, the duty cycle is 1 – (Vbatt/Vout)
In our case, 2.2V off the NiMH, and we need to make 3.9V.
so 1 - (2.2V/3.9V) = 44% So the MOSFET is on for 44% of the time and the schottky diode is on 56% of the time. So the diode current would be about 1.8 Amps. So the schottky diode drop would be about 0.5V.

[/ QUOTE ]

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello,

Doug S's formula isnt all that bad......

Take 5 diodes and connect them in series.
Call the bottom 4 diodes a 'Luxeon' and the top diode
call a 'Schottky'.
Connect a source of 5.000 volts to the top diode.

Measure the drops across the Schottky and Luxeon:
Schottky=1.000v
Lux=4.000v

Now calculate efficiency of the input to output with
output being the voltage across the Lux (4v here)
using Pout/Pin...
Eff=0.800

Now parallel the Schottky with another diode of the same type
and measure the new voltage drops...
Schottky=0.892v
Lux=4.108v
Now calculate efficiency for this new circuit
using Pout/Pin...
Eff=0.822

Now using the first circuit calculate efficiency using
Eff=Vout/Vin=VLux/(VLux+VSchottky)
and you get
Eff=0.800

Now using the second circuit calculate efficiency using
Eff=Vout/Vin=VLux/(VLux+VSchottky)
and you get
Eff=0.822

Conclusion:
There's no difference between using Pout and Pin or the
formula Eff=VLux/(VLux+VSchottky)

Reason:
The current is the same in the Schottky and the Luxeon
and so Pout/Pin simplifies algebraically to the other
formula.

Now apply a RAMP to the circuit such that the lowest
Schottky diode voltage drop is V1 and the highest
voltage drop is V2 and the average voltage is
VSchottky=(V1+V2)/2 .
Now calculate efficiency using the formula:
Eff=VLux/(VLux+VSchottky)
and get a reasonably close answer.

Eff1=VLux/(VLux+V1)
and verify that Eff1 is always less than Eff.

Eff2=VLux/(VLux+V2)
and verify that Eff2 is always greater than Eff.

Conclusion:
You cant use the peak Schottky voltage to calculate
efficiency nor can you use the lowest Schottky voltage
to calculate efficiency, while the average will provide
a reasonable approximation to give you an idea what
the loss will be.

Take care,
Al

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:
[ QUOTE ]
Doug S said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true.

[ QUOTE ]
Doug S said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Your loss equation for the schottky diode at first glance to be inadequate, and appears to be quite wrong looking at it further and quite significantly underestimating the loss in the schottky diode???

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sticking by it. I think you'll like it too after looking at it even further.

[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Newbie, you need to reconsider your post midnight postings /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Here is where you went wrong. My comments specifically addressed the example you where using in your tutorial that you wrote for the benefit of greenLED and others. In that example you are using an input current of 1A not an output of 1A. In your statement below, you somehow made the jump from the parameters of your initial example [i.e., input is 1A] to those of an output of 1A and then developed your case around these new and different assumptions.

[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
MrAl said:
Hello,

Doug Owen's formula isnt all that bad......

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Al, there may already be too many Dougs in this discussion. Don't confuse matters further by dragging poor Doug O into it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif BTW, for the benefit of late comers to this discusson that may be doing their reading in a post-midnight state of mind, you might want to add to your explaination that you are talking about the I/O efficiency effects of the schottky diode only, not I/O efficiency of an entire Zetex type stepup circuit.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello again,

He he, ok Doug S i've edited my previous post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Take care,
Al

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
Doug S said:
[ QUOTE ]
MrAl said:
Hello,

Doug Owen's formula isnt all that bad......

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Al, there may already be too many Dougs in this discussion. Don't confuse matters further by dragging poor Doug O into it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif BTW, for the benefit of late comers to this discusson that may be doing their reading in a post-midnight state of mind, you might want to add to your explaination that you are talking about the I/O efficiency effects of the schottky diode only, not I/O efficiency of an entire Zetex type stepup circuit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pay very, very careful attention.

Mr.Al, Doug_S used "the loss fraction to be <font color="red">(Vfschottky)/(Vfschottky + Vfled)"</font>

This is quite different from your formula, <font color="brown"> Eff=VLux/(VLux+VSchottky) </font>

In the first case, 0.55/(0.55+3.9V)= 0.1236 or 12.36% loss in the schottky.

In the second case 3.9/(3.9+0.55) here you are calculating the efficiency.

I understand your point here.

I kept it simple in the first post just by starting out with 1A of input.

Then towards the end, I moved to 1A output, to talk about the case of what happens with 1A output as was claimed for the performance of the converter.

Thread Title: "Zetex 310 based boost converter with 1 amp out"

Seems logical to me.

Also keep in mind that once you go to adding the duty cycle into things, all the currents jump.

I was keeping it simple.

But, because you still have to bring in the same input power and have the same output power but in a shorter period, losses in the MOSFET and inductor increase due to I^2 * R factors.

As far as the case of the schottky diode, specifically, the current flows during a portion of the duty cycle, so naturally, the average current will be higher during that portion of the duty cycle, so with the higher currents the losses go up.

This power is being dumped into the output capacitor which will mean the Luxeon will see more of an average current. If the output capacitor is properly sized, all the Luxeon will see is an average current.

Now we have power going into the capacitor in relation to the duty cycle, and flowing back out to the Luxeon when the schottky diode is off. In reality, a portion goes to the luxeon, and when the diode is off, the capacitor fills in the hole by supplying the power to the Luxeon. This power going into and out of the output capacitor adds to the loss of the converter, which can get high for low cost tantalums and many electrolytics.

This adds more complexity to the schottky diode loss calculations.

<font color="purple">
Anyhow, in whatever case, we are all comming up with numbers from 12-14% loss just in the schottky diode in ArcMania's converter.

So we have half a watt going up as heat in that tiny little schottky diode that ArcMania has in his converter, and it is quite tiny.

In this case, the poor ultra tiny schottky diode is going to get extremely hot. Guess what happens to a schottky diode when it gets that hot??? It gets really leaky. So now you have to add in additional effiency loss due to the leakage in the schottky diode. This is a very often neglected loss factor, and has to usually be measured as it changes depending on board layout (copper split planes carry away more heat than traces), proximity to other hot parts, as well as how the heat is conducted to the outside world.

So, we all arrived at 12-14% loss in only the schottky diode (without adding in leakage losses), or 0.5W. Then we add in the MOSFET losses of another ~0.4W, and inductor losses of another ~0.2W. So we have 1.1W going up in the converter. We were making 3.9W on the output, we have another 1.1W of heat being generated by the converter. So we need to now pull 5W in off the battery in order to make up for losses in the converter. So we will need to go back and increase the losses in the inductor, MOSFET, and schottky diode due to this higher current level.

This puts us at 78% efficiency for an "imaginary" non-synchronous converter that uses a schottky.

(before going back through another iteration, to get closer to the real losses since we had to pull more input power as we lost it in the switching conversion. The efficiency will drop with several iterations.)

Now the point is to go back and look for better parts that could reduce the losses in the design. Of note is to also consider parts that have better thermal sinking to pull the heat out of the diode and mosfet, so the losses don't go even higher than we'd considered. It is possible to find diodes that will reduce the losses by 30% more, but I'm not certain they all fit here, and on some of these, when they get warm, you end up with 10mA of reverse leakage current and increase capacitance... Though it is possible to find MOSFETs in the SOT-23 with half the on resistance.

Keep in mind, most SOT-23 packages have a thermal resistance from junction to ambient of 250 C/W. In our "imaginary" example, we had 0.4W, so the die inside the SOT-23 MOSFET would rise 100C over ambient, or to about 125C or more. This would cause our 0.1 ohm on resistance part to turn into a 0.14 ohm on resistance.

In other enhanced thermal packages, you can find MOSFETs that can reduce the MOSFET losses by 60%, and in reality even more, once you consider the thermal issue and the resistance of the die going up with temperature. Depending on the heat in the mosfet, the internal resistance can easily go up by a factor of three. This part has excellent thermal sinking, and is 1/3rd the thermal resistance of the SOT-23 package:
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/FD/FDZ298N.html

It is tougher to solder down this 1.5mm by 1.5mm part, so a person would need a heat plate, heat gun (many prefer this), or a mini-reflow oven.

Yet...

We still haven't added in losses for power needed to drive the MOSFET, the losses driving the capacitance in the body diode of the mosfet, losses in the MOSFET as it's die temperature rises, losses driving the capacitance in the
schottky diode, losses due to leakage current in warm schottky diodes, losses in the input and output capacitors, losses due to the control circuit drawing power, losses in the current sense resistor, and so on... </font>

There are parts a little larger that make it easier for normal folks to diddle with, http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FD/FDZ201N.pdf with lower thermal resistances yet.

Anyhow, have fun fellas.

P.S. A decent basic tutorial for thinking and figuring losses in switching converters for engineer types can be found here:
http://www.planetanalog.com/features/OEG20021211S0027

LED_ASAP

Enlightened

The losses due to various capacitors and the mA-level consumed by the IC doesn't contribute much to the overall efficiency, since we are not talking about 3-5% difference here. The major components we should focus on is the inductor and the diode---even the MOSFET is less important here, because there are parts that can have less than 0.05ohm with only ~2.5V gate drive.

The diode will eat >0.4V at 1A output (i.e., 2A pulses minimum), that's the physical limit and there is nothing anybody can do---10% loss right here.

The inductor is trickier than the other parts: You have copper loss and core loss. It's hard to say exactly how much losses are there. From the size of the inductor---approximately 6mm square with ~5mm height (estimated from the photo and the stated 13mm board with 6.5mm height including a 1.3mm board)---it is fair to say the inductor has more than 0.05ohm DCR. The best 10uH power inductor CoilCraft makes in that size has ~0.1ohm, maybe MJ has a better inductor with half of that. One point to notice here is that unlike the diode and the driving transistor, the inductor has the PEAK current running through it all the time. So a 1A output converter will have at least 2A going through a 0.05ohm DCR inductor, or 0.2W loss---and that is only considering the copper loss, not including the core loss.

So, the bottom line, a 0.4V diode, a 0.05ohm MOSFET, a 0.05ohm power inductor, and 1A output, we will be looking at 80% efficiency in the ball part. Please note this is a highly optimistic value, and a whole bunch of other losses are not included.

If we look at all the current "90%" efficiency boost converters, and found they all used synchronous rectifier and >1MHz frequency, shall we learn something from there?

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
LED_ASAP said:
The losses due to various capacitors and the mA-level consumed by the IC doesn't contribute much to the overall efficiency, since we are not talking about 3-5% difference here. The major components we should focus on is the inductor and the diode---even the MOSFET is less important here, because there are parts that can have less than 0.05ohm with only ~2.5V gate drive.

The diode will eat >0.4V at 1A output (i.e., 2A pulses minimum), that's the physical limit and there is nothing anybody can do---10% loss right here.

The inductor is trickier than the other parts: You have copper loss and core loss. It's hard to say exactly how much losses are there. From the size of the inductor---approximately 6mm square with ~5mm height (estimated from the photo and the stated 13mm board with 6.5mm height including a 1.3mm board)---it is fair to say the inductor has more than 0.05ohm DCR. The best 10uH power inductor CoilCraft makes in that size has ~0.1ohm, maybe MJ has a better inductor with half of that. One point to notice here is that unlike the diode and the driving transistor, the inductor has the PEAK current running through it all the time. So a 1A output converter will have at least 2A going through a 0.05ohm DCR inductor, or 0.2W loss---and that is only considering the copper loss, not including the core loss.

So, the bottom line, a 0.4V diode, a 0.05ohm MOSFET, a 0.05ohm power inductor, and 1A output, we will be looking at 80% efficiency in the ball part. Please note this is a highly optimistic value, and a whole bunch of other losses are not included.

If we look at all the current "90%" efficiency boost converters, and found they all used synchronous rectifier and >1MHz frequency, shall we learn something from there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Been there, done that, see my post from a year ago. The synchronous switchers really make a *big* difference.