Help on L2 or U2 for non EDC

cary

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I am trying to decide between a SF L2 or forking out the extra money for the U2. This light will be carried in my vehicle and not used as an EDC. I use the light for task lighting, walking if needed, basic uses. Currently I have a 6p which is fine, but I really want something that has the ability to run longer and have variable output.

Other factors are:

1) I will not be using rechargables on this light.
2) Reliability is very important to me. I just had to send my 6p in because of a defective switch and my E1e has blown 2 bulbs in 6 months (my most reliable lights have been the Streamlight Scorpion, not glorious but the damm thing always works) I am looking at LED because I don't want to worry about the bulb blowing when I need the light, if I drop it.
3) I prefer a bit of girth like the 6p has so it is easier to grip.
4) I will have this light for at least 5 years.
5) Two stages is probably enough for me.
6) Just as a reference, I prefer the beam of the streamlight scorpion to the 6p, the scorpion isn't as spotty and has a smoother fall off.

So what does the group recommend?

Thanks

Cary

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, given the criteria you list, I'd recommend the SF A2. It's 2 stages, constant brightness and the leds will run for many, many moons. It's the size/shape you're looking for, and is also a Surefire. The incan beam is smooth, throws nicely, and is quite white. And, best of all, it stays that way. It's really hard to go wrong with an A2. I personally prefer it because of the hybrid design; I find leds to be best up close/inside for short range work, but the incan really shines (sorry) outdoors. The warmer color temp renders outside colors far better.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a U2 within the last month. I have never had an opportunity to personally use an L2.

The U2 is an ideal candidate for using rechargeable 18650 cells. This was a big thing for me, but you say you don't intend to use rechargables, so this is a non-issue.

I believe the U2 is a fairly solid light, but a few have reported a sticky tailcap switch. Mine jammed up once, but worked itself back out. I would expect the L2 switch to be more reliable, at least if it's anything like the two stage momentary switch on my L1. At the very least, if the button jams up you can always twist it on.

The U2 has a bit of girth to it, definitely more so than the L2. The bezel end is a fair bit large in diameter, too. You might like that based on the description of what you want. That said, I've found the U2 is comfortable enough to carry around in my pocket when I'm wearing jeans. It doesn't ride as well in dress pants. The L2 is a bit longer than the U2, but skinnier.

Either light should easily last much longer than five years. Two levels probably are plenty for many users. I've found I tend to run my U2 on either maximum (which isn't bright enough) or minimum (which isn't dim enough).

If you're picky about the beam, you might dislike the U2's donut. Mine has a fairly obvious donut, and it bothers me. But, from a recent poll, it seems that only 10% or so of the U2 lights out there are donut-free, so I'm guessing my chances of getting a "perfect" one aren't that good. I think it's something one just has to learn to live with if you want a Lux V light. The L2 has a Lux V as well, so it might also have a donut. Otherwise, the beam on the U2 is really well thought out. It just seems to put the light where I want it. The spill is bright, the fall off is smooth, and there are no rings spots or holes once you get past the donut.

I think they're both excellent lights. If I wanted rechargeability, I'd go for the U2. Otherwise, I'd be tempted by the L2.

cary

Newly Enlightened
The A2 is a great idea, but it puts me in the same position of having potential issues with the incadecent bulb blowing out. For that reason it is off my list.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fair enough, although I can't remember even a single post about an A2 user being let down by a blown bulb. And unlike other hybrid lights, the A2 leds still function without a working incan bulb. If you are still that concerned, you could get a SF spares carrier; it holds 4x123 cells and an A2 lamp.

cary said:
The A2 is a great idea, but it puts me in the same position of having potential issues with the incadecent bulb blowing out. For that reason it is off my list.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I were you I'd get an L2. If you only need 2 levels this light is ideal. I love mine. The switch is fantastic. Very easy to use with one hand. After a little practice you can pinch the tailcap with your palm and rotate the barrel with your fingers to turn it off and on. And when your in low mode, constant on, all you have to do to get the hi-beam is push the tailcap button. Very easy.

I don't own a U2 so I can't really comment on its use.

But consider this, the retail cost for a U2 is $270. You can get a L2 from oldgrandpajack and an HDS B42 from LightHound for that same $270, give or take a few bucks.

Remember your CPF mantra, "One is none and two is one..."

I feel for ya man, too many great choices, not enough cash-ola.

wquiles

Flashaholic
I would also vote for the A2 - my current favorite "small" incandecent light and my current EDC. Out of those two I would pick the U2 as I had one and beleive that it is the most versatile LED light out there, capable of "safely" using bare LiIon 18650 cells ;)

Will

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if you aren't too limited on budget and you aren't going to carry it much, I'd personally either go for the U2 or a different light entirely. The main thing I don't like about the L2 is the low setting isn't all that low. Heck, it's as bright as a lot of flashlights. With the U2, an appropriate level is almost always available.

Personally, in this price range, I'd go for an Aleph II with a 2 stage tailcap or something like that.

cary

Newly Enlightened
kelmo said:
But consider this, the retail cost for a U2 is $270. You can get a L2 from oldgrandpajack and an HDS B42 from LightHound for that same $270, give or take a few bucks.

Remember your CPF mantra, "One is none and two is one..."

I feel for ya man, too many great choices, not enough cash-ola.

I am leaning toward the L2 because of the Kiss principal, less things to go wrong. Also, as you mentioned I can get a second light with the L2 for the same price as the U2. I think the HDS lights are nice, but I really don't like the multiple click thing. The SF two stage or twist on the U2 make much more sense to me. For that reason I think if I got a second light, I would get the L1.

FYI, I have an E1e that I carry for day to day so I do have a back up if the main light blows out.

Luna

Enlightened
The thinness of the L2 might make it a better EDC for many. The tradeoff is it take more to lock out and the usage of primaries is required.

The U2 with 18650. 6 levels and postive lockout (seldom needed though) is great but you have the larger head diameter to contend with if you like the EDC to be in your front pocket.

The gladius is right squarely between the two.

Having all three, I just decided to cycle them. I've never had the U2 to turn on in pocket but I've been greeted by the L2 and Gladius (I forgot to lockout and it isn't the fastest operation to do) with a warm feeling in the pocket :()

cary

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I am going to blame it on this forum, I spent way to much and ended up with the U2. Here are the factors that pushed me over the L2:

1) Runtime: It appears the U2 will run longer on high than the L2 and much longer on low.

2) Size- For my use I like the additional girth of the U2, easier to hold.

3) Beamshape. I wanted something that punches better through the dark and it appeared the L2 would be a step down from the 6p than the equivilant.

4) Finally, I decided that if I was having to think this hard, I would regret buying the L2 down the road rather than stepping up for the U2. After thinking about it, the U2 is the next step in LED lighting, the L2 is an older design. Now we will see how surefire stands behind it if there is a problem.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The good thing about Surefires is, if you decide you want to try something else, you can usually get a good chunk of your money back by selling it on this forum... As long as we're talking about the LED lights.

cary

Newly Enlightened
That also played in my mind. If I don't like it, I am only out about $20-30.

TheSteve

Newly Enlightened
I'd take the U2 over the L2 simply for the clickie tailcap switch myself.
Beyond that though the battery life of the U2 on low is awesome.

The U2 can also be had for much less then the retail price of 270.00 USD if you look around a little.

And if ever do decide to use a rechargable cell the lithium ion 18650 option is cheap and offers excellent battery life.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I was about to recommend the SureFire L2 OVER the SureFire U2—but looks like you've gone and done it now by joining the SF.U2 club.

SF.L2 for its ease and simplicity of use + the stream-line build of this makes it easy to carry in pocket without that unnecessary bulge.

Did a comparison with my uncle's SF.U2 which is his EDC. We both loaded fresh SF123s and went outside to do a light show and tell. I must say the SF.U2 did VERY nice on high! But for some reason, I liked my SF.L2 WAY BETTER on HIGH over his SF.U2. Maybe its just these particular two models, because my uncle and some of our friends standing by made the comment that mine looked brighter. Each one particular tool varies one from another I venture to guess.

And again because of the sheer 2-stage simplicity is why I chose the SureFire L2.

Enjoy your SF.U2!

Luxman

Enlightened
I was going to recommend the U2...but I see you already have it! Although my major complaint is that the U2 lowest level is still too bright, I think it is still a Very versatile and dependable light. Let us know how you like it and if it meets your expectations..
Have fun with your U2! :)

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
cary said:
Okay, I am going to blame it on this forum, I spent way to much and ended up with the U2. Here are the factors that pushed me over the L2:
It sounds like you've made the right choice for you. The U2 will definitely run longer on low, and might even run a little longer on high. You'll like the size and shape of the U2. It feels good in the hand. The U2 has a deeper and wider reflector, and will throw better than the L2. The L2 is more of a floodlight.

The U2 is a very nice light. Let us know how you like it when you get it.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
cary said:
Okay, I am going to blame it on this forum, I spent way to much and ended up with the U2...
The U2 is a magnificent light. However IMO it's too nice to leave in your car.

I also originally intended to leave my U2 in the car, but after I got it, decided otherwise. My less expensive but powerful Streamlight TL-3 is in my car, along with a backup Princeton Tec Rage. My U2 stays inside where I use it more frequently. If I go on a longer trip I take the U2.

I'm a big fan of variable output, but IMO this is more often needed inside and at certain outside activites like camping, night walking, cave exploring, etc.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
from what you discribe I'd go with the L2... if rechargeables aren't an issue and two stages is enough... i think the L2 is more 'simplier' than the U2... less things to break... some U2's have tailcap problems... the L2 design is solid... get the L2

cary

Newly Enlightened
Well I found out the U2 is backordered anywhere from a week to a month, so I changed my order to the L2 which is currently available. I didn't want to wait an undetermined amount of time.