recommend a multi-tool

preacher

Newly Enlightened
I have a friend who is able to do the most amazing things using an old red swiss army knife. As I watched him work on a doorframe, I thought he might be able to a lot more with a multi-tool. I haven't owned one in a while so I was wondering if there was one that was head and shoulders above the others. Now that Christmas is coming, what should I get him?

Malpaso

Enlightened
Multi-tools are a Ford/Chevy thing. My preference is for the full size Gerber.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Malpaso said:
Multi-tools are a Ford/Chevy thing. . .

That was good. . .Unless your friend is a "die-hard" Swiss Army guy, you may want to check out for yourself the Leatherman line. Enjoy!

Of the cuff here: Fords—in particular 1967 Shelby Cobra GT500 427 Side-Oiler

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Of the multi-tools that I have I prefer the Leatherman Charge Ti. I EDC a Charge Ti and a Micra.

Here's a list of the multi-tools that I have:
Leatherman Charge Ti
Leatherman Charge Ti/black
Leatherman Wave
Leatherman Wave/black
Leatherman Supertool x3
Leatherman Supertool/black x2
Leatherman Pulse x3
Leatherman Juice XE6
Leatherman Micra x3
Gerber - I have 2 or 3 I'm not sure which models
Swiss Tool X
Swiss Tool Spirit x2

The Wave is good if you want to save a few dollars. The Wave is like the Charge except the Charge has Titanium handles and the blade is 154CM.

I like the Pulse too, but it's discontinued.

The Swiss tools are nice and seem to have the highest quality worksmanship.

My wife EDCs one of the Spirit Swiss Tools in her purse.

billgr

Newly Enlightened
swisstool spirit!

i have it and an (old) leatherman wave.....the swiss is head and shoulders better than the wave.

my name is fake

Enlightened
Im a fan of leathermans.

I ahve both the supertool & wave, and also the fuse, which is my wifes'.

I also like their fast warranty service. The needle nose plier tip broke off(!) on my supertool 200 and they responded immediately to my warranty request and i received a new Supertool within 4 weeks.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the Swisstool Spirit! Compact, elegant, and lighter than the rest, while still have the strength of a full sized tool. Just note that it doesn't have a pointy, straight edge blade (it has a squared-off, serrated one). It can be had for a little over $45 shipped at Amazon, which is really good considering the quality and compared with others on the market.

If you want something even smaller, check out the Leatherman Juice line (the S2 is the lightest/cheapest and has the most useful combo of tools IMHO) but realize that they aren't nearly as robust due to the skeletonized steel/aluminum frames and lighter build in general.

If you don't mind something bigger/heavier there are many options out there- the Swisstool line (standard, RS, CS, X) and the Leatherman Charge, Surge, and Core are among the toughest.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy cow, Hoghead! It looks you're hooked on more than flashlights! Is there a Multitoolforums that I don't know about? If there is, I'm sure you're a long time member there, too!

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget to look at the SOG Paratool. Even though I love the Leathermans I have, I really miss the one the kids lost for me.

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The wave is a very nice and useful tool imho. Some say it's too heavy but I don't even notice it on my belt with a xm-3 and knife next to it.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Wow 3 votes for the Swisstool Spirit Plus I see. . .So I did check it out today and MAN I'm sold on that! But I don't want to give up my Leatherman Charge XTi. I'll have to alternate between the two.

So either and or with the Swisstool Spirit Plus or Leatherman Line of multi-tools, you'll have to find out which will suit your particular everyday needs. Does that sound like getting both and then some? Well—Enjoy!

Acme

Newly Enlightened
Schrade ST5E (or ST5) is your only choice if you want a slip-joint pliers. The original Schrade company is out of business but this tool is on eBay often. Not compact. For ordinary pointed pliers I prefer Swiss Army, but it too is not compact. For compactness I like the Leatherman Juice, especially the XE6 or one of the smaller Juice models.

Acme

Boomerang

Newly Enlightened
For my multitool, I chose the Victorinox SwissTool, why? Because every tool locks. A safety factor you don't see on the leatherman. The nylon pouch can hang vertically or fit horizontally on your belt.

For my tactical folder I use the Columbia River Knife & Tool's Crawford/Kasper 6783K

See: http://www.crkt.com/tactflds.html

Andy

CLHC

Flashaholic
LowWorm said:
Is the Swisstool Spirit the smallest multitool with locking tools?

That may depend on the size of the person's hand(s)? "Smallest mutitool with locking tools" it's not.

wallyrulz

Enlightened
Trashman said:
Holy cow, Hoghead! It looks you're hooked on more than flashlights! Is there a Multitoolforums that I don't know about? If there is, I'm sure you're a long time member there, too!

Bladeforums has a Multitool Section.

Leatherman makes a superb multitool in the Charge. Some do not appreciate their politics, but it would not take long to find things about pretty much every company one deals with.

Charge is the ONLY multitool with premium steel.

LowWorm

Enlightened
CHC said:
That may depend on the size of the person's hand(s)? "Smallest mutitool with locking tools" it's not.

I'm not into relativity, just flat out size: the Swisstool Spirit is 3-1/4 inches long and weighs 5-3/4 ounces - is there a smaller tool dimension-wise (weight-wise second) that locks?

attowatt

Enlightened
Been there- done that with the leatherman:popcorn:

The only one that really works good and WONT break the pliers is the Spyderwrench by Spyderco, IF you can find it.....