Fenix L1P lanyard suggestions needed

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like suggestions on either shortening the lanyard that came with the L1P or using something different.

I want the lanyard to be the length of the light when attached to the tailcap and hanging down. I will just put a couple fingers through it when holding the light instead of my whole hand. Besides, with the original lanyard, it wants to catch on everything all of the time with the light strapped to my belt.

I will eventually be putting a clip on my L1P, but will still use the shortened lanyard.

What I was going to do was to tie a knot in the original lanyard at the proper length and then melt the ends to prevent fraying.

Another idea I had was to use a steel leader used for fishing as a lanyard, but don't know how that would hold up as far as bending. It may be too stiff to work in the first place.

I want something that will look good as well as function properly and last a long time.

OK EVERYBODY, BRAINSTORM!!!

Last edited:

Santelmo

Enlightened
The very first time I got mine, that "dental floss" lanyard kept bugging me. I want tools that can handle rough use. What I did was remove it and thread two small key rings on the holes and put a braided shoe string, just like in my old knife.

I'd be interested too on how the others set-up theirs too.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Santelmo said:
The very first time I got mine, that "dental floss" lanyard kept bugging me. I want tools that can handle rough use. What I did was remove it and thread two small key rings on the holes and put a braided shoe string, just like in my old knife.

I'd be interested too on how the others set-up theirs too.

My thoughts exactly on the fine thread- it doesn't look like it would last long rubbing against the edges of the small holes. I was going to use one split ring, but 2 would even work better. Thanks for that idea.

wmpwi

Enlightened
When I first got the LP1 I got to thinking about options, I though maybe getting some spider wire (braided Kevlar fishing line). It's extraordinarily strong such that dental floss size can be 50 lb test. I was planning on braiding some to make it a little thicker. Impossible to snap and extremely hard to cut. You can buy it in most sporting goods stores.

http://www.fishspiderwire.com/

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
AtomicX said:
read a thread on this a short time ago.. do a search for " seized lanyard".

:whistle:

AtomicX,

Thanks for that link! That's really cool, but I want an even more minimal lanyard attached to the 2 holes. I have saved that link for future reference for my other lights.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stu said:
I wonder if some swivel snap or other fishing tackle related thingy might work in that tiny hole? I might look around in the lure section at the store.

I'm going to get a couple 1/4" dia. or maybe the next size smaller split rings from the fishing dept. and put one in each hole and then use maybe some paracord for the actual lanyard to thread through each of the rings.

AtomicX

Newly Enlightened
Srvctek... i got a nice one with my Streamlight NF-2... maybe they are available as replacements from Streamlight parts...thinking out loud here. It's sorta a thick cord with an adjustable cordlock for the wrist or fingers..can be seen in the ads on "brightguy"s websight. It's worth a peak, not sure if it's quite what your looking for. I, myself, keep changing my mind and trying different things. I am going to do a grip-wrap on my MagCharger and see if I like it ( Paracord ) , best thing is lanyards and grips are removable so trying different things is the best way to find one's own favorite solution. Cheers !:wave:

greenLED

Flashaholic
jtice sells several different types of really nice lanyards, look for his posts or PM him for info.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Louie for your idea in this post

It's basically what I wound up doing. I first enlarged the 2 holes with my Dremel using the carbide bit shown in the first pic below (I also rounded off the edges of the holes). Then I threaded some 3/32" black nylon string through both holes and tied a knot.

I will use this for now unless I come up with something better. Thanks for all of the tips everybody!

DSCF0312a.jpg

DSCF0315a.jpg

DSCF0321a.jpg

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lynx_Arc offers a special split ring sized to exactly fit through both holes at once and not interfere with the rubber button. Lets you attach a larger split ring or thicker line to the the Fenix. He charges practically nothing (I think 50 cents for 10, 60 cents for 20, including shipping). I think everyone should have them.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
nerdgineer said:
Lynx_Arc offers a special split ring sized to exactly fit through both holes at once and not interfere with the rubber button. Lets you attach a larger split ring or thicker line to the the Fenix. He charges practically nothing (I think 50 cents for 10, 60 cents for 20, including shipping). I think everyone should have them.

I saw his post and thread on the split rings, but decided against it. I didn't want to wait to get them- no patience here.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you'da bought it then, you'da had it by now (weeks ago, even). Mine came pretty fast. I think Lynx_Arc had them in the mail the day after I sent him my hard earned 60 cents.

Stu

Newly Enlightened
s, p, d & f orbitals.. somewhere in the Rockies
I have the little split ring on my L1P, furnished by Lynx Arc. I used a wooden toothpick to wedge the ring open and get it started through the holes in the head of the switch body. I put a second slightly larger split ring through that one so I could use the same size paracord for a lanyard as my other lights (same thickness as the Surefire lanyards).