how good of a light is this?

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
I'm looking at getting Cabela's new Extreme 6 Watt LED flashlight and was wondering if any of you had one or new if this is any good? It has two 3 watt luxeon LEDs and runs for 390 hours. Thanks
cabelas.jpg

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The light looks like it was made by Nuwai. If it is, the quality should be decent but not superb. Either way ... it won't run 390hours, at least not with a usable output. This is a typical bogus runtime claim of most manufacturers :mad:
Maybe it runs 390h with untill the last photon can be squeezed out of the LEDs, but that isn't in any way useful for a user.
bernie

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is past thread about this somewhere..... In that thread it was speculated that perhaps the typo was a 0 after the 39.

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. Would this be at all worth getting? I'm looking for an LED light that has really good light output with a decent run time and at a Price around $100 or less. I'd like something that is brighter than my G2 with the 120 lumen bulb and lasts longer than the G2's 20 minutes with the 120 lumen bulb. Do you think the 150 lumen output they claim on this cabela's light is true? I'd love to get another Surefire but can't spend over $100 and would like something that lasts more than 20 minutes and be even brighter than my G2. Any suggestions? Thanks

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I haven't seen the light in action, I wouldn't expect it to be a whole lot brighter than your G2 w/p61, if at all. My guess is that it will put out a similar amount of light, only white, and not yellow. You'll definitely get more runtime, however, and it is very likely that you will find a rechargeable battery setup that will work with this light.

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
More than 120lm with a LED light is still difficult and can be achieved by either a good-binned LuxV or several good-binned LuxIIIs in one package ... which usually means runtime will suffer and the price will be high.
Also ... SF is known for their very conservative lm ratings, so you might well get more than 120lm with your P61, at least for the first minutes.

If you want bright, long runtime and cheap ... I'd use a rechargeable incan like a Tigerlight.

bernie

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Don't be mistaken ... this may be a good light, but it could be that it just won't meet your brightness and runtime criteria in that combination.
bernie