Votes: 19 24.4%
  • After a month?

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • After 6 months?

Votes: 20 25.6%

• Total voters

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's interesting to note that some members lurked for a long time before joining and others joined the CPF soon after discovering it. I jumped right in the first time visiting the CPF site.

Last edited:

TorchMan

Enlightened
Re: Lurk CPF1st or Join?

I was looking for info on the T4, and mostly after review sites. Came here three or four times and decided to join. My wallet screams at me for that decision!:naughty:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've dropped in anonymously a few times in the past couple of years, but I never stayed to read much more than a few paragraphs. I just kept dropping in because it would always come up in my searches, but I was always immediately overwhelmed by all the stuff on here, and left about as quickly as I came and wouldn't consider myself to have been much of a lurker. It was when I had discovered the Jil on ebay that I was led here by Litemania. I can't remember how I found his email address, I think it was through his website, and I asked if it was possible to have one sent to the US and he directed me to his thread, and I was somehow hooked.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember my very first post was on knife sharpening, but it was answering a question/giving advice.

Looking back at the threads I started, the first thing I did was basically asking for something brighter than I had and paulr suggeste the Princeton Tec Surge which I bought the following day.

Now one or two lights later...
rolleye11.gif
the Surge is still about the brightest light I own though I have no idea where it is.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
You didn't offer an option for joining after more than 6 months. :crazy: I was probably a lurker for a couple of years. I knew nothing and wanted to study up before joining and making a fool of myself. (Didn't completely remedy the "making a fool of myself" part.) :shrug:

Everyone was so knowledgeable it was a bit intimidating. Also I remember one thread that had the suggestion "Lurk before you Leap" that I found to be good advice.

It finally was Balrog's BE series bodies that brought me in since there was no way to contact him other than posting or PM. That was my first post and purchase and it's been a thinner wallet ever since. :ohgeez:

-LT

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I learned about it years before I joined, but then I didn't like it because I wasn't used to it. I was looking for reviews of headlamps, but I didn't like forum style, I wanted something like flashlight reviews, or LED museum, which I did not know about at that time.

I finally started lurking for a few days, then read about the mag85. I couldn't find anything about it though. I even checked mags website trying to find it.:ohgeez:When I couldnt find anything I finally joined and asked a few questions.

This thread is kinda strange becuase I've been wanting to ask the same thing for a few day now.:shrug:

Schuey2002

Enlightened
I lurked for about a year before I joined, and then lurked for a long long time after that.. In fact, I still do a lot more reading than I do posting. :sssh:

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
I waited a few years to join. I remember reading the pre-release buzz about some fancy shmancy LED flashlight called the "Arc LS". I remember reading about the Skunklights project and thinking how cool it was that a bunch of flashaholics were collaborating to make a custom flashlight. That must have been around 2001 or 2002.

I stopped reading CPF for a couple years, then drifted back last year and finally signed up.

dim

Enlightened
After a second prolonged blackout within a short period of time trying to fight the darkness with cheap incans, I knew that there had to be a better way. Wasn't there something about LEDs? One search was all it took to find CPF and FlashlightReviews.com. After lurking for about two months, I did not intend to stay long when I joined CPF to ask just a few questions and gave myself the self deprecating handle of "dim" as something of a joke. Over a year, more than 100 posts and about a dozen purchases later and I'm still here. Yeah, I guess I'm a flashaholic. Dim as I am, it has been over a year since I've been a self realized flashaholic and I'm still not too bright - just more enlightened.

dim

83Venture

Enlightened
I joined about two years after I found CPF, I will click on 6 mts. I think quite a few were watching between 1 - 2 years before signing up.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I lurked for a couple months. I tried to time it to become member 3K- ended up 3015, which for some reason, became 3014. I look now (rt clk ur handle) and am 1248. I'm still a newbie! :D

Larry

Navck

Enlightened
Interestingly, I googled and came up with CPF for Coast flashlights (Big fan of those 6 LED lights with 3xAAAs a while ago) I read the topics for a bit, left... Returned over 2 years later when Luxeons came up. Then flashaholism hit me

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I lurked for about 4 months trying to *catch up* on the technology before I joined and knew enough to post much. Unlike some that jump in and start asking redundant questions I read all the redundant questions so I didn't have to ask any of them.
I didn't plan on buying/selling etc but CPF has the tendency to suck you right in like a black hole....... the graviational pull on the wallet it tremendous!

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lurked for almost a year! I tried to join a couple times, but I got discouraged when I never found a password in my email. Little did I know that these emails were going straight into my junk mail :(. I even attended my first flashaholic event (PF3) before I was actually a member of the site.