Should I buy a used E1L, or a Q3?

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have the 13 days to take advantage of The Super Sale on Nuwais, and I'll be damned if I still can't figure this one out. I've read such good and bad about the Q3, that I'm not sure if it'd be worth saving around $20-30 initially.
I mean, I'd have to sink so much money just getting it up to speed with a E1L( 2 way switch, new LED,etc.), I'm thinking I should just wait for a used EL1 to pop up. It's basically coming down to:
Needs a good solid clip
Single 123
Small

If I was going to use a holster with this light, I'd get a Dorcy 1W and find a holster to fit it, but this is going to be used on a belt or possibly clipped to a backpack/something.
I know giving ideas on the Q3 is redundant, but I'd like to hear thoughts specifically on the Q3 verses the Surefire E1L.

paulr

Flashaholic
The E1L is built like a tank. The Q3 is a good value, economy light. You are comparing a Bic lighter to a fancy gold plated Dunhill, or something like that. In pure functionality terms the Q3 is fine, about equal to the E1L in output, depending on configuration. In materials and build quality, the E1L is in a different class.

IMO if you're thinking of the Q3, you might also consider the Fenix L1/L1P. The output is similar, but the L1[P] has a slimmer profile and uses AA cells (runs nicely on NiMH) instead of CR123A. The Fenix has no clip at all, but some nice holsters have been made for it.

The Q3 clip is a pocket clip, not really a belt clip. It's bezel up, so it would flop around on a belt. But it means you can use it as a handsfree light if you have a ball cap.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say the E1L or Fenix L1P also. Considering the Fenix is ~$35 less than the SF, it's an easier choice.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Surefire E1L but not a Q3. I'm basing this comparison partly on what I've read over the last year or so on CPF.

Nuwai Q3
Good: inexpensive, smooth beam, solid body, easy to modify or upgrade
Bad: cheap quality (reported failures), exaggerated output (25 lumens, not 75), very poor efficiency

Surefire E1L
Good: high quality, good throw, good regulated output, E-series modularity, Surefire guarantee
Bad: tight, slightly uneven, "all throw" beam that some people hate; expensive (not so much of a factor if you're buying it used)

I'd definitely recommend buying the E1L if you have a chance to pick up a used one at a discount. If you prefer a wider beam or at least want to have the option from time to time, you can get the F04 beamshaper.

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm on my third z57 switch, with my now two month old SF E1L. Even the expensive stuff fails. Start with the Q-3, the flood pattern is much more suited to general task lighting anyway. If you like the Q-3, you will love the SF KL4 five watt, build one up with the switch and body you pick out. Many choices right here on CPF for bodies and switches.

TB

paulr

Flashaholic
The E1L and Fenix are both adequately water resistant in terms of using them in the rain and stuff like that. Neither of them is a dive light and neither should be taken underwater. Don't believe any 10 foot rating. Also, yeah, the z57 clickie hasn't worked out all that well. I had forgotten about that and didn't realize the E1L came with it.

I think the E1L is a little bit smaller than the Q3. I don't have measurements handy. If you use a Vitalgear twisty battery tail, it gets smaller still.

Hans

Enlightened
paulr said:
Also, yeah, the z57 clickie hasn't worked out all that well. I had forgotten about that and didn't realize the E1L came with it.

The E1L is a nice light, no doubt about it. For it to be a *really* nice light you want a McGizmo 2-stage tailcap (which solves the Z57 problem once and for all) and the FX04 beamshaper. Both make a tremendous difference to the E1L in my opinion.

What I'd do if I were to buy a E1L today is that I'd get the parts I want from Lighthound: An E1L body (or the Aleph 1 CR123 body), a KL1 and the tailcap plus the beamshaper.

Hans

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amilite is a bit too much. Or I'd get a McGizmo light!
Could I get a clip on a Vortex? That's a nice little light, and around $40.
Tranquility and Hans, you might be right about Frankenstein-ing an E1L from what I can find. I really like the idea of a 2-stage tailcap, too.
Also, should have my Fenix tomorrow. :rock:

CLHC

Flashaholic
I don't have or even seen the lights from the Q3 or the SF.E1L. I have seen the Fenix L1P and I sure do like the light output on that one! Nice bright white even beam. Maybe it was that particular CPF member's model. But from the reviews that people here have been talking about plus the price, it sure is hard to beat!

Looking for an established and reputable manufacturer's standpoint, then going with the SureFire E1L isn't a bad idea.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

DigMe

Enlightened
The more I see the E1L the more I want one...and the more I see the price the more I know I'll probably never have one! :(

brad cook

cy

Flashaholic
a used surefire in mint condition is always better than a lessor made light. Surefire are better in almost every way, but price started 3-4x lessor lights.

some cpf'erstake care of their lights like jewery, some use them for actual work. take your pick..

values of high end lights can drop like rock with tiny cometic imperfections than have NO effect on function.

personally I would not own another KL1 head, but there's no accouting for taste. much rather have an L1 or KL4.

anyways... here's an example: mint L4 come up for sale all the time for aprox. $125 IMHO a total bargain for a 5watt light. look for a L4 with a few tiny dents and price drops to $95 or lower.

some of my favorite lights are users with scratches to begin with like a Surefire L4 purchased for $85 and L1 for $75.
don't have to baby these lights from the get go. no functional difference, possibly better because you are not afraid to actually use.

best of all used surefire lights hold their values extremely well.
pretty safe bet if I posted a used L4 for $85, it would not last long (no it's not for sale :D)

Last edited:

Wrangler

Enlightened
Build quality might not be comparable, no doubt, but performance of a Q3 on r123`s is just g r e a t!!!
Nothing wrong with a Q3 at all ! Use mine (modded) daily, dropped it to the floor, had a bike accident where the Q3 was smashed to concrete, got some dings and blemishes on the body but still works fine without any malfunction!

If you don`t need the fit and finish (and the exclusive brands name) of Surefire but a solid and bright low cost light, you `can`t go wrong with the Nuwai.

KAM

Newly Enlightened
paulr said:
The E1L is built like a tank. The Q3 is a good value, economy light. You are comparing a Bic lighter to a fancy gold plated Dunhill, or something like that. In pure functionality terms the Q3 is fine, about equal to the E1L in output, depending on configuration. In materials and build quality, the E1L is in a different class.

IMO if you're thinking of the Q3, you might also consider the Fenix L1/L1P. The output is similar, but the L1[P] has a slimmer profile and uses AA cells (runs nicely on NiMH) instead of CR123A. The Fenix has no clip at all, but some nice holsters have been made for it.

The Q3 clip is a pocket clip, not really a belt clip. It's bezel up, so it would flop around on a belt. But it means you can use it as a handsfree light if you have a ball cap.

Get the Q3 its much brighter than the fenix

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I did get my Fenix today, so that recommendation doesn't count anymore.:grin2:
I'd like a single 123, or I woulda snatched up thesurefire's last light(E2D head,L4 body,z57 cap).
I think I'd be happier biding my time for a used Surefire. My friend is getting an Outdoorsman for xmas, so I'll have the chance to actually use one of them, and that might sway me in the end!

Last edited:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Optics HQ has a great price on an E1L but it doesn't look they have any in stock.

I was comparing the beam on the Fenix L1P to the E1L and I like the beam characteristics of the Fenix. The SF is nice, I'm just tired of the squarish pattern. The lightly shrouded tail of the Fenix switch I like. For the size, the Fenix has a lot going for it, as commented in many threads.

To me, the Fenix and SF E1L are close enough that for my uses, a SF would be a redundant light. The AA was that final push since I have plenty of AA NiMh cells to use in it. YMMV

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
E1L, Fenix & Q3 - for me it's as easy as 1,2,3. I've used all three lights extensively and usually EDC the E1L at work because I need dependability, throw and a tight spot.

Outside of work the Fenix L1P provides more spill beam and I like the feel of the light: it feels like quality.

I'm less a fan of the Q3, but that's just me; it does have a good beam. I did have to resolder the inductor, the plastic lens is quite scratched and the paint is wearing off.

Compared to the E1L, the Q3 is of noticeably lower quality. In this case you get what you pay for. The Q3 was OK for $35 and I also feel the E1L is worth $100.