3 hour E2 ???

kb0rrg

Enlightened
I was reading about the review of the E2 on Crag's site and he said this: "Battery life with the 60 lumen bulb is rated at 75 minutes. If you use a dimmer lamp (a 25 lumen model is available for the E2, and one comes with it) you can extend the battery life to about 3 hours."

I was not aware of a low output bulb. What is the scoop?

BTW Great review and I love the computer analysis!!!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Apparently, the lower lumen bulb isn't ready yet. I don't know much more than that, other than one is *supposed* to have been available around this time frame.

So for now, you'll have to live with the 65-75 minute runtime.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hope you have big pockets
grin.gif

First, to contain the cash...

Then, to contain the bigger Surefire!
smile.gif

Gandalf

Enlightened
Late last summer I spoke to one of the people at SureFire, and I was told the lamp would be available in a few weeks. I placed an order for one, and the fellow said he entered it in the SureFire order system while I talked with him. But I'm not exactly holding my breath waiting for it. So, it's long, long overdue, now. I think the numbers may be a bit optimistic, since the 15 lumen E1 has a 60 minute burn time, but I suppose it's possible. If you want a 3 hour E2 right now, just buy an Underwater Kinetics 2L. There are two threads on it started very recently. I've owned several of them, one for around 8 years, and I think they are great little lights.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gandalf:
Late last summer I spoke to one of the people at SureFire, and I was told the lamp would be available in a few weeks. ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last I heard on the SFDB was that a 23 Lumen Lamp Assembly, the MN02, was due out someday/eventually.
If the 60 Lu MN03 is ~85 minutes with SF123's, then a 180 minute run-time is presumably correct ?
Me, I want the rumoured 100 Lu E2 LA more than that one. I imagine that would be about 50 minutes ??

lightlover
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Is that true that the E2 and the UK 2L are comparable in terms of light output? Which one is brighter?

What is the advantage of the E2 over the UK 2L, if any? (Besides appearance, that is)

George Orl

Newly Enlightened
Love my E2, but just like lightlover, I too want the 100 lumen E2 more than extra burn time. Heck, I'm hoping Surefire will come out with E3 200 lumen. Small, bright and high quality is what I want. Buy lithiums by the box to save $. I read lots of posts indicating great things about the UK 2L and may have to get one. ARC LS lithium (LED)is also on my list.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Wasn't there a post here about changing an E2 bulb to the E1 bulb and buying some sort of slave battery? Is this what you guys are talking about?

Eric

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gandalf:
If you want a 3 hour E2 right now, just buy an Underwater Kinetics 2L. There are two threads on it started very recently. I've owned several of them, one for around 8 years, and I think they are great little lights.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gandalf is absolutely right about the UK 2L. By the way, if the 2L's beam isn't quite up to your standards, click over to "NEW STUFF" and read about "Fellowes WriteRight", a remarkable, cheap and instant way to improve the beam of any non- faceted-reflector light to near Surefire standards. I've tried it, it works, with a slight tradeoff in brightness.

Brightnorm

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recomended useing a 123 dummy battery & the E1 bulb @ 15 lumens. It will give about the same light output as a 2D light, but a pretty small (but very good) center spot. This would give you 90 min runtime per battery, for a total of 3 hrs on 2 batteries. The 23 lumen bulb they're discussing is 6V & still on the drawing board @ SF. I don't know if you would notice that much diff between 15 & 23 lumens. I considered buying an E1 body to convert my E2 when I felt in the mood, but I think it's to short to fit my hand comfortably. The E2 is just right. TX

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
For my E2, I made up an Aluminium tape conductor/and plastic tape insulated, bypass thing. That way, you can use a single 3V LA, like the 15 Lu MN01, and have a spare battery, unused, actually carried within the E2. Just change them over when one runs out.

Another member posted a topic about this - Mr. ?????, you out there ?

TX, I tried out Al's E1. It actually is quite good to handle/use, and powerful for it's size, nice beam too.
What I mean is that before trying it, from just seeing it in the catalogue and on the site, I dismissed it out of hand, (!! ) but if you want a small Incand, then maybe still check it out.

lightlover
smile.gif

artar

Enlightened
the E2 is a very good flashlight. I have mine now for 1 month. the first days played around with it and was impressed of its light output und design. But now, after 3 weeks, i look more realistic on it:
it puts out a lot of light, but it has not more than 10-15 meter reach.for me thats not usefull. the mag2aa with nexstar lamp throws more than 40 meters. and the UKE 2L will be much better in that.

i would take a UKE 2L.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Artar, I posted to that in another Topic, quote:
"... can you give the surround/hotspot measurements of your E2 at say 10 feet - my E2 is still very good at 120+ feet."

120 feet is about 40 metres. And there is still a useful beam past that.
Perhaps a silly question, but you say it's not more than a 15 metre reach - this is with a reasonably new Lamp Assembly, decent batteries, clean contacts, etc. ??
Is the switch unit O ring and spring seated properly ?

lightlover

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *something ridiculous ?:
TX, I tried out Al's E1. It actually is quite good to handle/use, and powerful for it's size, nice beam too.
What I mean is that before trying it, from just seeing it in the catalogue and on the site, I dismissed it out of hand, (!! ) but if you want a small Incand, then maybe still check it out.
smile.gif
[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The only problem with getting the E1 is you can't switch to the 60 lumen lamp. Even though I put the E1 lamp in once in a while, it doesn't stay there long. Even if 15 lumen is all I need & battery life is much better, it's like buying a 'Vette & putting a govenor on it. The mileage may be better & the speed may be all you "need", but you don't buy a 'Vette for needs. And I didn't buy the E2, D2/D3, M2, M3, 12PM, 8AN, US, Scorpion, Eternalight Marine, 2 ARC LE's, LX, & several other lights because of needs. I NEED to stop buying lights!! So when do you think the E2e & LS will be available???
ponder.gif
???

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by artar:
it puts out a lot of light, but it has not more than 10-15 meter reach.for me thats not usefull. the mag2aa with nexstar lamp throws more than 40 meters. and the UKE 2L will be much better in that.
You better check to see if you put 2 batteries in that E2....I was at my aunt's over Christmas & she lives by an open field about the size if a football field. I had no problem standing on the side & lighting the whole field with my E2 looking for deer. Any time a Mag 2AA comes anywhere close to an E2, the E2 needs 1) batteries 2)a new bulb, or 3)to be sent back to SF to get checked.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
TX

Tesla

Enlightened
I agree with txwest. I don't own an E2, but I do own a Legend LX AND a nexstar-bulbed Mini-mag. The Legend LX is similar to the E2 and I assure you, the Mini-mag takes a back seat to it for "reach" and overall brightness. They both have their place; the E2 (or LX) is bright with limited run-time, whereas the Mini-mag is much cheaper & has much longer run-time (and is still bright enough for many uses--mine's primary use is for back-packing).