Which U2 do you like?

• U2 #1

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • U2 #2

Votes: 35 87.5%

• Total voters

go_to_the_light

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 surefire U2 lights. I am planning to keep one and sell one. Since I am new LED flashlights, would appreciate any opinions on which is the better light.

U2 #1 is a newer model light. It seems to be whiter to my eye, but seems to put out a little less overall light.

U2 #2 is an older model light. It seems to have a warmer tint, and seems to put out a little more overall light than #1. Also seems to throw alittle better. It lights up a target slightly better at distance.

Here are a few beam shots. This is my first attempt at taking some beam shot pictures. I tried to set my camera to manual mode, but the pictures didn't come nearly as good. So I left it in full auto. the shutter / apeture settings seemed to be the same for the various comparison shots.

Picture #1 U2 #1 is on the left. U2 #2 on the right. flashlights are about 4 feet from the ceiling shooting straight up. (the ceiling was the only white target I had in the house) Both U2s on high with new batteries.

85540547_a12c8b9d25.jpg

Picture #2 U2 #1 beam by itself on ceiling
85540555_9e48a77517-1.jpg

Picture #3 U2 #2 beam by itself on ceiling

85540554_7c9f5a482e-2.jpg

picture #4 U2 #1 outside beaming on the barn door. Barn is a Tan color. U2 is about 25 feet away on high.

85540551_9617263558-1.jpg

picture #5 U2 #2 on barn door

85540553_29afa550e0-2.jpg

Last edited:

Lexus

Enlightened
I voted for U2 #2, as I prefer a warmer tint, renders colors better IMHO. The fact that your U2 #2 produces more light won't hurt either. :p

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I didn't vote. Take the one you like best or which works best for what you want to do with it and don't be distracted by the opinions of others, as there will be a lot of opinions what is best.
bernie

EDIT: nice beam shots btw! :thumbsup:

EDIT #2: I personally would take the warmer of the two.

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked #2 because it appears to have a wider beam and I like the color more. I suspect you might get a lot of votes for #1, though, as it seems a lot of folks around here want a tighter focus and more throw.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
by your description, it seems the only thing going for #1 is that it's of a 'cooler' tint, which in itself is a subjective or own-need decision. it's brightness and throw are both inferior to #2, so unless you need or prefer the tint of #1, then #2 by your description has more throw and brightness...

another consideration is whether the newer U2 has the plastic insert and if you choose to use rechargeables... although i suppose you can just switch the bodies/heads :)

as an aside, you actually laid some of my niggles of my own U2 to rest... which has a warm tint like your #2, and the same slight dimmer center of the beam.