PILA

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old GL3's bezel was 36mm wide; the GL3X and GL4, 45mm. The new GL3's bezel is 41mm; the GL4's, 48mm. I wonder whether the GL3's 200-lumen lamp assembly will work in other miniturbos: the 43mm G&P/Digilight and the 42 and 45mm Wolf Eyes.

48mm (1.9 in.) is an unusual size. I'd say it's a tad too wide for a pocket. Evidently it had to be that large to dissipate the heat from the 500 lumen high-output lamp.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
The new battery names are less logical than the old ones. 600P implies 2x the capacity of 300P. 168A vs 150A gave a better approximation. Also, I'm surprised that PILA chose not to specify battery capacities. Perhaps they are not eager to have them compared to higher capacity brands. Hope I'm wrong on that.

Brightnorm

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
No Pila dealers seem to have these new lights. Wonder about pricing or availability.

Paul- Lucky you, more parts and pieces to try out. :popcorn:

Mark

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, the 9V lamp is said to be 200 lumens using an integrating sphere test. That's a pretty impressive upgrade!

There's a 500 lumen lamp option for the 4 cell light?

The new Pila li-ion charger says it trickle charges after a fast/slow charge cycle. Aren't li-ions not supposed to be trickle charged? Wouldn't the cell's circuitry shut it off?

The new lineup does look pretty slick, though.

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3x123A is the sweet spot for running lithium-ions. Moreover, its 41mm head is the same diameter as Streamlight's Stinger and TL-3 and certain Surefires, so you can use their diffusers, filters, and traffic wands.

Looks as though G&P's G90 lamp may have some serious competition, at least among the miniturbo crowd.