12 Luxeon III beast of a floodlight (unnamed)

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't quite have a name for this light yet.

Thanks to the price reduction in Luxeons ($3.45 for Luxeon III emitters at Future), I figured it would be fun to make an insane, tons-of-luxeons-in-one-package floodlight.

So I ordered a dozen Luxeon III emitters from Future (I got 12 SWAKs!), a heatsink, fan, and misc parts from All Electronics, and came up with this bad boy:

biglite1.jpg

There's the heatsink, fan (back), and box containing the regulator (top). The heat sink face is about 3"x3".

It runs off ~12V (needs at least that to drive all 12 luxeons at full power)

Here's the business end of the light:

biglite2.jpg

The heat sink has a milled surface (it came that way) which is nice since it recesses the luxeons so they are easy to protect. There are two layers of 1/8" acrylic sheet, one with a hole for the luxeons to poke through, and another that covers everything.

The luxeons are arranged in 4 strings of 3 in series. Each string is driven from a signle regulator through an 0.47 ohm resistor to help balance current. I had originally thought about building 4 regulators driven from a common feedback reference, then decided that that would require way too many parts, and went with the simpler plan.

The white is a thin pad of AA epoxy - I laid this down before setting the emitters to ensure the slugs were all isolated. Remember, electrically connected slugs with series luxeons = BAD.

The PCB strips are to prevent the power leads of the emitters from experiencing any stress by being connected to the beefier power wires.

biglite3.jpg

The rats' nest that's the regulator. There's a switch (left), current sense resistor (bottom), transistor (above the current sense resistor), pot for power adjustment (right), and PCB (hiding under the menagerie of wiring).
The regulator is a simple linear current regulator using an op-amp and mosfet.
The pot allows the current to be adjusted from ~500mA (~125mA/series strand) to ~4A (~1A/series strand).

Yes, this thing will draw 48W!

This is the part of sprockets where we show beamshots:

The target, my garage:

First, lit up with 2 60W bare bulbs:
biglite4.jpg

Next, for reference, A VV0S Lux V in a Mag 2D at 750mA (with reflector):
biglite5.jpg

And without the reflector (flood beam only):
biglite6.jpg

Next, the 12 lux beast at the lowest setting:
biglite7.jpg

it's a bit brighter than the Lux V flood beam

Finally, cranked up to full power (Aziz! Light!):
biglite8.jpg

Thank you Aziz, that's much better...(cookie for the reference)

dcarch8

Newly Enlightened
Wow!:mecry:

No need for a power supply.
Looks like this beast can throw out enough light to shine on a bunch of solar cells to power itself!

dcarch8 :grin2:

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
evan9162 said:
(Aziz! Light!):
Thank you Aziz, that's much better...(cookie for the reference)

The Fifth Element. I love that movie!

Great job on the flood light! Nice and compact too! Well done.

Paul

Kiu

Enlightened
:awman:
It looks really cool!!! :goodjob:

BTW, have you test how long time the heatsink get hot when pumping 48W to it?:naughty:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks cool! How are you intending on powering or useing it? Perhaps a cigarette plug for use in the car. Would make an awesome trouble light if you broke down!!! (and probably blow a fuse on full blast!! better keep alligator clips for direct connection to battery in that case!)

EDIT: all you need now is a 12v 7ahr SLA battery that fits in UPS units/etc and make something to hold that and the flood unit to have a portable Lantern!! Perhaps make the thing out of wood to hold the battery and have a handle and mount the flood in front. Maybe MDF board, but that would be heavy.. Maybe even 2xseries 12v SLA for extended runtime (assuming the convertor can handle 24v in).

Next things you should build (which I know you have the pelteirs) is a high flux luxeon driven 2amps (or max without fusing bond wires) on a peliter with a fan running on a 12v SLA with the biggest reflector you can find, or biggest apsyrical lens, and make the worlds tightest, brightest luxeon spotlight!!! Perhaps mod a Thor15mcp and use it's huge reflector... Hmmm!! :D

Last edited:

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiu said:
:awman:
It looks really cool!!! :goodjob:

BTW, have you test how long time the heatsink get hot when pumping 48W to it?:naughty:

Not yet - I've been powering it from a 12V NiMH battery, which strains a bit under full power (I can hear the fan slow down when I crank up the current)

I'll have to do a temperature test soon. I can even plot out the brightness vs. temperature vs. time.

sortafast

Enlightened
pure craziness. So can you cook you breakfast on the heat sink when that thing is runnin on full?

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a simple temperature test. After over 10 minutes (which I consider sufficient time to warm up, considering the power load and cooling system), the temperature at the center of the heat sink on the front side stabilized at 41C. I then turned down the current to minimum, and the temperature dropped to 29C within a minute.

So, at 41C, and using 15C/W junction-hs thermal resistance (13C/W J-S from the datasheet, plus 2C/W for the thermal epoxy), and 3.8W (1A * 3.8V), that puts the junction temperature at about 98C. According to the datasheet, at 98C, output is reduced to 75% (the datasheet seems to overstate the output degridation, but it's a good minimum).

Using the stated typical output of 80 lumens at 1A, then the non-temp adjusted output is 80*12 = 960 lumens. With temperature adjustment, that drops to 720 lumens. So the real output is somewhere in between (in the 800s I'd suspect).

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you shorten the power cable, you'll lose a little less power, unless you're using it as a current limiting resistor. Let's see, 60 lumens times 12 equals 720 lumens! Luxeon's producing serious light for a decent price! Nice to see solid state lighting making it's way to become a everyday household light.