Surefire A2 Aviator: suitable for tactical use in Iraq/Afghanistan?

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all, long time lurker and first time poster!

While looking at the Surefire site, for a flashlight to be considered a "tactical light" it is in the 65 lumens range. While the A2 is rated at 50 lumens, does anybody feel it is underpowered for this specific use?

I'm not trying to say the A2 is underpowered, I am a proud owner of one and it's truly awesome! If anyone is stationed in Iraq/Afghanistan or uses an A2 for military/police use, I would like to hear your input.

carrot

Flashaholic
The A2, like all (most?) Surefires is conservatively rated. Someone (McGizmo, maybe) did tests and found the A2 to be more like 72-75 lumens. Don't know if that helps any.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi dudemar, and welcome!

I don't know much about combat, but folks over there apperently like the SureFire G2 pretty well. The G2 is initially brighter than the A2 (I have both), but after a few minutes' runtime the A2 pulls ahead because it is regulated. The G2 is only brighter on a fresh set of batteries.

So I would say the A2 is bright enough to the same extent that the G2 is bright enough, if that makes any sense.

But I would want my M3 over either of the 2-cell lights for fighting.

One thing to consider (I would think) is the manner in which the batteries die. With the A2, the light goes along at full brightness and then dumps into "incan moon mode" for a minute or so before leaving you with LEDs only. The G2 gets dimmer, so you can hit the button and see about how much you have left. I feel there is a lot to be said for that. When the G2 finally goes, you have maybe 5 minutes of decreasing light -- not much but more than with the A2. When the M3 dies, it gets as dim as the G2 with fresh batteries and lasts quite a while before it gets to the point of being useless.

Now I will partly contradict myself and state that my "bump in the night" light is a red A2. The LEDs are great for navigating, and the incan is plenty for operating at night. (The brighter M3 is good for things like checking rooms after entering a dark building during the day, when your eyes are adjusted to daylight.) I keep the batteries fresh by cycling them through the A2 on their way to my G2; the G2 gets fed slightly used A2 batteries, and the A2 gets a fresh set.

Hope that helps.

Scott

Last edited:

chrwe

Newly Enlightened
As you are asking about its "tacticalness": The M-series is shock isolated, the A2 is not AFAIK. That might get you into a tricky situation should you ever have to use it while also using a firearm.

I tried holding my C3 (not shock isolated!) in the SF/Rogers grip together with a handgun, should I ever have to track down an injured hog (wild pig?) at night (for use in a gunfight situation I'd advise a little more training...). It's a great idea, the flashlight's beam follows your aiming direction automatically -- your target is always illuminated. So those rubber rings on the M2/M3 also might be a decision factor for you.

Flakey

Enlightened
I also like the Combat grip rings on the c-m series lights. i dont need that grip to save my life, but it is damn handy and i have been glad on several occasions that c3 grips the way it does. as for the A2 "tactcal" is a really vast word. i wouldnt strap it to your m4 / m16 / whatever you happen to be shooting. but the 2 levels of light and the energy sipping leds would probably be great for general use over there. Thank you for your service.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow thanks for the response guys, it's really useful info.

Though I am currently not in the military Flakey, it was a nice comment.:rock::xyxgun:

But if I was in the Army, I'd be proud to serve in either theater.:)

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Searching cars and general use sure. But for long range threat evaluation, No. It just doesn't throw a spot or beam of light, closer top a wide pattern for rooms and closer/medium distances.

Surefire makes the Hellfire for the .50 cal M2 machine gun.

I haven't seen A2's mounted on weapons out in Iraq, but M2/M3 type systems I have seen (the SF's mounted on a rail.) One guy had a 6 cell M6 system on his weapon. If you have seen SWAT the movie (with Samuel L Jackson) the M4's they use with that Surefire weapons light (think M500A) were out there too. A few guys had the scout lights, but those were more specialized. Basically most of the lights I have seen on weapons were Surefire's.

I didn't use my lights that often, I had night vision.

greenLED

Flashaholic
there's a sticky in one of the forum's subsections with deployment lights recommendations. Off the top of my head, Pelican M6 comes to mind.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
JasonC8301 said:
One guy had a 6 cell M6 system on his weapon.

Whoa that's huge.

So the A2 would be good for CQB/room clearing, that kind of thing? The A2 has pretty good blinding power (I'd say as good as the 6P), so I'd figured it would be practical for such use.

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jumpmaster said:
I can arrange that for you...:D

JM-99

No thanks, notice the choice selection of words such as "if" and "I'd"!:nana:

Not gonna happen.:dedhorse:

Last edited: