Quality vs Quantity

What type of person are you?

• MORE! I need MORE! *Zillions of lights in background*

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Nah, I'm fine with the really nice ones I have right now. *A few high end lights*

Votes: 33 37.5%
  • Moderate, I'll try to get lights for what I need.

Votes: 48 54.5%

• Total voters

Navck

Enlightened
Are you one of those people with a room that has a flashlight count thats bigger than the count of atoms at the tip of a pencil?
Or are you one of those people who buy the REALLY high end lights (100+ range, Surefires, etc)?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Unless there is some cheapo light coming around that I just have to check out (think Fenix) I only buy highest end. Everything else just isn't satisfying on the long run.
bernie

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like Kiessling, I don't pick up too many cheapies anymore for the same reason of satisfaction.

Lexus

Enlightened
For EDC lights only the best will do it for me, because I carry them around all the time, they become a part of myself, I'm not complete without them. Doh, that sounds crazy, doesn't it? :help:
For non-EDC lights, my standards are a bit lower.

I don't own many lights, perhaps a dozen or so, but they fit their purpose perfectly. And if I see a new light which is better for this specific purpose I need it (some custom lights are VERY hard to resist). The old ones are sold or given away to "enlighten" people.

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
ya know i SAY that, but i really have much more than i need, even if what i got is a joke compared to what i have seen.
best to ask that question to the people who know i am nuts instead.

Delvance

Enlightened
I usually try to have one light per "section", such as led throw, led medium, led short, incan flood, incan throw etc...basically, i moderate how and what i buy. Now if i had alot more pocket change, i sure would be the squillions of lights in my room category =D

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Delvance said:
I usually try to have one light per "section", such as led throw, led medium, led short, incan flood, incan throw etc...basically, i moderate how and what i buy. Now if i had alot more pocket change, i sure would be the squillions of lights in my room category =D
Agreed, but my catagories are even smaller, throw/flood/powerhouse/edcs/runtime/red led/ all the other cheap crap I buy on impulse.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need more, and as new lights come out, my wallet will pay :)

-david

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I've been actively interested in flashlights for going on three years now so I've picked up PLENTY of cheapies, many of which were crap, some of which were actually pretty decent. I tend to tinker and mod things quite a bit so having multiples comes in handy. Counting lights on my three shelves, right now, I have 66 lights and I have a few more throughout the house, cars, cabinets and whatnot... but I lost them all tomorrow and got a insurance check for $1,000 to cover my loss, I'd probably buy or build about 5 to 8 quality lights and a about a dozen quality cheapies like Princeton Tec Attitudes, Minimags with MJLEDs or similar for loaners and/or for the kids to play with.

Hrmm... if I had $1000...
thinking.gif

HD45
Aleph II with 1 and 2 cell bodies
Streamlight TL-3
2C Magmod with a U-bin and an nFlex
Fenix L0P

And that would leave about $300 for a few more odds and ends and in all honesty, I think I could get by quite nicely with just the L0P, the Magmod and the Aleph II.

Fringe

Enlightened
I went from Mags to McGizmo's and will never look back. I am all about the high end.

There is nothing like holding a well made piece of functional art.

I would have never thought that I would be saying these things about flashlights, not to mention on a flashlight forum!:wow:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lexus said:
For EDC lights only the best will do it for me, because I carry them around all the time, they become a part of myself, I'm not complete without them. Doh, that sounds crazy, doesn't it? :help:
For non-EDC lights, my standards are a bit lower.

I don't own many lights, perhaps a dozen or so, but they fit their purpose perfectly. And if I see a new light which is better for this specific purpose I need it (some custom lights are VERY hard to resist). The old ones are sold or given away to "enlighten" people.
That's not crazy at all. I have seen people who curse their own tools day after day and I don't get it. I'm only going to be here on earth just so long. I really want to like the things I handle each day. If you buy a light (or any other tool) that you don't like, you punish yourself every day. If I buy a tool that I really like; one that I have confidence in; one that brings me joy every time I use it I'll be happier every day.

I don't mind spending $$ on a light if that's what it takes to get something that will do what I need it to do. On the other hand, I get great satisfaction out of using any tool that is designed well even if it doesn't cost much. Like the old CMG Infinities, the old CMG Ultras, the Tektite dive lights and the old Nightcutter Sports.

EDIT: Actually, I probably don't get much joy out of using the Tektites -- but I get a great deal of comfort out of knowing that they will probably still be usable when my world and my other lights have gone to hell.

This is a way that I try to be good to myself.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
I like lights that have high "value" for the dollar spent...

examples:

thor: most people can't believe you can get em for $30-60, well worth it for the sheer aw factor and goofy toony look.
LEDBeam: decent build, beautiful beam, super long run time, great output for an LED, only $25.
G&P alternatives to Surefire: especially the G90 lamp, being very bright and efficiant and available for cheaper..
Rechargables instead of Primaries: Stretch out an investment a long way.

my flashlight collection is still very small in comparison to many here... Thus far- the most bang-for-buck I have bought is the little 28LED light from AXshop, under $10 shipped and in a ceiling bounce test it outlights both of my 3W luxeon lights. I like buying a light for that price and being so impressed.

I'd love to own a nice surefire, but my budget just doesn't allow, so i look for alternatives.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Pretty much what Bernie said. I tend to stay with the spend a little more for quality. But from time-to-time I'll try out the El Cheapo Deopt ones.