T3 Drive Specs

darkknight

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know what level the Inova T3 is driven at? I'm guessing somewhere in the 1000mA range?

Thanks, Dark Knight

darkknight

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, you could be right. I was only guessing 1000mA because of Inova's claims that it produces 85 Lumens. I'm no expert but I am pretty sure its not putting out that much. It is really bright though. Anyone else have any idea? Somebody must have taken one apart and took some readings?

Thanks

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh... it definately doesn't put out 85 lumens... probably closer to 60 plus or minus. The reason I would guess somewhere around 600 ma is spec is 700 ma and Inova doesn't want to repair any more lights than they have to so I'd assume they'd drive them just below spec.

They are very difficult to take apart. I think one guy wanted to see the TIROS optic so he ended up hacksawing or bandsawing the thing apart to get to the optic.

darkknight

Newly Enlightened
Thats the only thing I dont like about this light, everything seams to be pressed together. What if you break the lens? I wonder if Inova would charge you to replace it or cover it under its lifetime warranty? They should have made that stainless ring screw on and off so you could change the lens if needed. Other than that though it sure is a fine light.

Dark Knight

wtraymond

Enlightened
Yeah, what cratz said about taking them apart. You will destroy a T3/XO3 and most of the Inova lights by trying to pull these apart. But if you use the 'freeze-pop" method it is very easy and works on the X1, XO, XO3, T1, T2, and T3. I've "popped" them all. Here's how:

Take the battery out and fill the body with water (distilled water is best to prevent corrosion) by submerging the flashlight in the water. With the light fully submerged, replace the tailcap tightly. Now put the light in the freezer and wait. When the water freezes, it pushed the bezel out a little bit with no damage. It may take several freezes to get the bezel completely off.

I must say that I did not think of this myself. It was discovered by another CPFer. I couldn't find the old thread and can't remember his name.

I didn't take current measurements on all the lights I disassembled, but the XO3 was drawing less than 400ma from fresh CR123A batteries. I think I figured it was about 600ma going through the emitter.

I still have several in pieces and I've been meaning to put them back together without the regulator and run them direct drive. I think it would be a real contender at 1 amp! I'll get to it one of these days.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
wtraymond said:
I still have several in pieces and I've been meaning to put them back together without the regulator and run them direct drive. I think it would be a real contender at 1 amp! I'll get to it one of these days.

That would be pretty sweet. I've taken an X1 apart several times and I took an X5 apart, but the method didn't work on my X03.

ginaz

Enlightened
i ruined my t3 in various stages of dissassembly. i freeze-popped the optics out and then i wanted to swap the emitter so i tried to hammer it out with a dowel rod from the battery side. yeah, that didn't work. that particular t3 did not impress. my t1 must be a rarity because it was nearly the equal of big brother. i was never sure about buying another. would have loved a TV1J in there though...