mini Maglite LED 2AA & 3AA specs

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
2AA Mini MagLED

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Manufacturer: Mag Instrument, Inc.[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Model: 2-Cell AA Mini MagLite[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Body Material: Aluminum[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Body [/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Color(s): Black, Grey, Silver, Blue, Red[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Length: 6.6"/167.8mm [/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Body Dia: .71"/18mm[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Bezel Dia: 1"/25.4mm[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Weight1: 4.15oz/117.75g[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Battery Qty: 2[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Type: AA [/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Runtime: n/a [/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]LED: 3 watt [/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]LED Colors avail: White [/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Lumens Max: n/a [/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Lumens Min: n/a [/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Brightness Levels: 1 [/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Switch Type: Twist [/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Location: Head [/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Spring 2006[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]MSRP: ~ $25[/font]

3AA Mini MagLED

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Manufacturer: Mag Instrument, Inc.[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Model: 3-Cell AA Mini MagLite[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Body [/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Material: Aluminum[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Body [/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Color(s): Black, Grey, Silver, Blue, Red[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Length: 8.6"/218mm [/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Body Dia: .7"/18mm [/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Bezel Dia: 1"/25.4mm [/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Weight1: 5.4oz/154g[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Battery Qty: 3[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Type: AA [/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Runtime: n/a [/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]LED: 3 watt [/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]LED Colors avail: White [/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Lumens Max: n/a[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Lumens Min: n/a [/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Brightness Levels: 1[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Switch Type: Twist [/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Location: Head [/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Spring 2006[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]MSRP: ~ $28[/font]

DSCF2688.JPG

DSCF2689.JPG

Last edited:

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, they are his:
maglica.jpg

[font=arial,helvetica]Anthony Maglica,
Founder of Mag Instrument
[/font]

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old 2AA & new LED 2AA has the same diameter sizes, both body & head/bezel. The head is longer which makes the light slightly longer: 5.75" (old) vs 6.6" (new). Weight is just a smidge heavier: 3.78oz vs 4.15oz with alk. batteries.

mpk

Newly Enlightened
I'm really glad Mag is doing a 3 watt setup with AA instead of AAA. The runtime of 3xAAA is quite annoying with a LuxIII. It also seems like the technology of AAA NiMH is not advancing as fast as AA NiMH.

$25? Sounds good to me. I guess axshop should rethink its clone 2xAA light, which used to go for $12 and is now $19. For an extra $6 bucks, I think I'd go for a Mag.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I HATE the 3 W "setup", that will just be like these "3 Watt power Led"-claims of very cheap direct drive lights from E-bay.
Why?
Because, even with 3 AAs, the runtime of anything more powerful than 1 W regulated sucks so much, Maglite will not sell any light to their usual customers, as soon as this fact (runtime) comes to the attention of the general public.

Any of these lights will run for the usual Mag-5 hours (on high)

Bozzlite

Enlightened
Is that 3 cell a 3AA or a 3AAA? I appears so much slimmer in the photo than the 2AA.

If those are the actual MSRPs, that's a pretty good deal. The cost of a mini mag and a TLE-5 is around $36.00 with the shipping.

I don't know if these new Mag LEDs are regulated or DD, but I'm guessing run time will be much less than the TLE-5 Minimag combo. 3 watts power consumption compared to 1 watt probably equals about 2 hours compared to 6 hours with the TLE-5.

Compares closely to the run time of an L2P.

But, alas, I am still unenlightened.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why are you glad...Mag is trying to patent to the poing that no one can make an led flashlight. Like patent the heatsink, the reflector, the current regulated circuit. This is terrible news.

pax

Newly Enlightened
Is that 3 cell a 3AA or a 3AAA?
It's AA.

Re the MSRPs, they're ballpark, not exact. I gathered there were some retailer negotiations in the works, and they hadn't yet set final pricing. But they said the prices would be in that general range.

When asked about runtime, the exec I talked to just said they were still doing testing, and wouldn't speculate. <g>

pax