Kenya...thoughts

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going on Safari.

Torches, charging etc

Any experiences to share ?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never been but if I needed to go tomorrow, I'd probably take several AA powered lights, some NiMH cells and a charger that can be charged off of a cigarette lighter and a supply of alkaline AAs.

Numbers

Enlightened
Mt Kenya Safari Club?
It's beautiful once you get there, but getting there is depressing, the poor people, and the roads if they can be called that. For nature it's a beautiful place, for humans the country is just the opposite- god forsaken. But that was a long time ago (I am sure it's worse now). I was not into lights then but the paper bags with candles in them at the evening meal is a nice touch.
Have fun, Stay Safe!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
cratz2 said:
Never been but if I needed to go tomorrow, I'd probably take several AA powered lights, some NiMH cells and a charger that can be charged off of a cigarette lighter and a supply of alkaline AAs.

You did not state low long you would be on safari but if less than a month, bring AA powered lights and a stack of lithium AA batteries. The cigarette charger will work with rechargables so you should have enough power.

For lighting purposes, pick your choice of AA powered lights. Not sure if giving away your lights at the end of the safari is in your plans, but if so... make sure they can run on basic AA cells found in that area. The runtime would be pathetic in a Fenix L1P but one of those Gerber Infinity single AA or Peak single AA lights would last much longer with basic AA batteries.

Wear a lanyard and put a AAA powered light on it...as well as your room key/car key. An HDS EDC 60 would be a great light clipped to your shorts, adjustable output and has optional 2xCR123A batteries for much longer runtime and the rumored 2AA body for those rechargables.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, my thought was probably an Infinity non-Ultra and a new Inova X1 (or an Infinity Ultra) attached to my person...either both on my neck or one on the neck and one on a lanyard on an ankle. Another new X1 or Ultra in a pocket or holster and something brighter such as the 4AA ProPolymer Lux.

Either way, I'd take these and probably a dozen spares such as Minimags or minimag clones as giveaways to keep attention from my lights.

icon10.gif

speederino

Enlightened
Here's a good thread to refer to, with links to others good threads:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/107247

Looks like AA is the way to go. I'd take along a nice big bag of fauxton keychain lights to give away, that way you won't have to worry about 'loaning' lights and not getting them back. Personally, I'd take a couple of lights with rediculous runtime, and a decent thrower.

greenLED

Flashaholic
In drastic contrast with the "bodyguard in Africa" story on the SF site, when I shone a light against a hyena lurking near our camp, the animal froze. Then, it hid behind a log and would peer out of it slowly. I'd shine the light again, and flooop! back to hiding she'd go, only to peer out slowly again. It was pretty amusing.

I had a Petzl Zora with me (high output bulb). I wasn't too much into lights back then. :(

It's a beautiful continent, enjoy your trip.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would carry lots of duplicates...

1) For most use probably a good LED, such as the Pelican M6 LED or the latest Streamlight TL-2 LED.
2) As backup I'd carry a good incandescent, such as a Streamlight Scorpion.
3) I'd carry a whole bunch of spare batteries for these.
4) For around camp maybe a Minimag with LED mod, such as the TLE5 or MJLED, and also a Gerber Infinity.
5) As giveaways I'd carry a bunch of AA lights, maybe the River Rock 2AA or Minimags with LEDs, and a bunch of AA's to go with them.

Spin

Enlightened
Purchase 100 or more of those chinese keychain lights that take a CR-2016 battery & give them to the natives/kids. I paid $30 for them ($20 + $10 shipping). Those lights could open doors for you while in kenya.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Oh yeah...get in touch with kermit in the link that speederino posted above! Kermit's there right now, been there for a couple years or so!

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
I think Kermit will be out of contact for a few months. He's working on an agricultural project in CAR, a whole world of difference from a holiday in Kenya.

You don't say where you're staying or how long you're going for. If you're staying at a lodge you could feasibly get away without a torch.... I wouldn't advocate not taking a torch, just illustrating the fact that these lodges are pretty well lit. I'd definitely have an AA LED torch for reading, finding the msalani etc (particularly if they switch the generator off at night).

If you're camping then I'd take a lithium 6v torch (high output lamp fitted) and spares carrier with a few spare batteries and lamp (backup low output). This torch is strictly for getting back to your tent at night whilst avoiding hippo etc. For everything else I'd use an AA based LED torch (perhaps with variable output for longer runtime). Backup would be something compact that could be used as an emergency headlamp (UK AAA mini personal torch is good IMHO). Rechargeables vs disposable batts is a matter of personal choice and luggage allowance. If you're going for a couple of weeks it shouldn't be an issue anyway.

If you're working on a long term aid project, see Kermit's post.

HTH

Dave