I decided to stress-test a minimag. (now w/ Pics)

SCblur

Enlightened
I was bored today, what can I say... I caught a glance of one of my many minimags that I have not once used since my rebirth as a flashaholic. I usually have feelings of disdain when I glance at my maglights, as they remind me when i used them faithfully, with the false belief that they were the best and brightest.

A devilish thought occurred to me... "I wonder how many times I can drop a minimag before it stops working." It didn't take more than a second before that thought was acted upon, and i was headed outside, red minimag in hand, sporting a new lamp and batteries. Making a mental wager, I was willing to give the mag a generous two or three drops before I predicted it would fail. Let the experiment begin.

I started with a wasit-high drop onto the driveway. Nothing. Hardly even a scratch. I was impressed, albeit barely. Drops two through five proceeded much as the first. Time to step things up a notch I thought. A few drops from head height produced the same disappointing results. My awe was slowly growing, as this little AA mag was outpacing my predictions with hardly more than a few scratches.

Around this time, my curiosity got the best of me. I don't know what came over me, I just chucked the light straight up, nearly thirty feet. "This should do it" I thought with a grin, as the minimag started its return voyage to the earth. "WHAM!"

THE DARNED LIGHT WAS STILL LIT!!??!?!?!

Now what had previously been awe had changed to frustration. I was determined to knock this light out if it was the last thing I did. On the next toss, I thought I had done it, but alas, the lamp had only fallen out after it landed bezel-down. Upon re-seating the bulb, it was working again. By this point, I had throw it to an estimated height of 30-40 feet several times. The bezel was dented in several places, the head made a 'crunching glass' sound when twisting the bezel (Part of the lamp, near the base, had broken off) and the beam pattern resembled a kaleidoscope. Not to mention, the output was about half of normal.

But, it was still working.

I decided on a new approach. I needed to assist gravity a little, since it was apparently not strong enough by itself. After a wind-up, I threw it straight down, hard. Still working. I decided it was going to end here and now. I threw it four more times straight into the concrete, each time with greater force than the last. The fourth time did the trick. She was dead. YES!

I unscrewed the bezel to make sure it wasn't the bulb that fell out. To my surprise (again) when I touched the lamp, it flickered. It seemed that the light was still sorta operational. If i fiddled with it, I could make it flicker, but I decided this would suffice for dead since the light would not turn on via conventional means.

I must say, I am not a Mag fan by any means. But after this little experiment, I have a much greater level of respect for their ruggedness, if not light output or beam pattern. I guess this is a testament to less being more. I doubt a complex light would have stood up to damage as well as a mini mag, with so few parts and simple operation. To any of you out there with AA minimags, consider them very very very very sturdy. I wish I was made of money, cause I'd love to stress test a few different brands (especially SF) for a good old fashioned shootout.

If anybody has an old G2 they would like to donate to science, I'd be happy to do the research :)

EDIT: As requested, here are some pictures of the damage. All I had handy was the bezel. Most of the damage was concentrated here, as this is where I directed most of my rage ;) This is the state of things when the bulb went out.

mag_001.JPG

mag_002.JPG

mag_003.JPG

Last edited:

Navck

Enlightened
Re: I decided to stress-test a minimag.

Actually I've killed them by dropping one on my table as a child. :ohgeez:
That and they made good things for "teething". I killed so many miniM*ggots
Also = Try using a 2x4 on it, JSB did it once and had a dead M*G

SCblur

Enlightened

wow, I guess I had a fluke "Bionic MiniMag" in this case. Maybe this is an example of inconsistent manufacturing.

carrot

Flashaholic

Nice test. I threw my Minimag at the ground many times, until the switch assembly just opened up and one of the leads got mortally bent. After replacing the switch assembly, I flung my Minimag down the stairs until I got bored... Nothing happened. I think the switch assembly is the weakest point on these things.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

That bulb must be tough! I've went through lots of those bulbs just droppign it 1-2 feet from a car bumper and the bulb burned out like 20 secs later.

carrot

Flashaholic

There were a few interesting responses to my own test of the Minimag's durability --https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/105697

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast

those smaller bulbs seem to take alot more abuse.

AlienRFX

Newly Enlightened

This test makes me want to launch mine from a SpudGun into a large tree. Even D cell batteries don't stand up to that test.

carrot

Flashaholic

AlienRFX said:
This test makes me want to launch mine from a SpudGun into a large tree. Even D cell batteries don't stand up to that test.
Pictures!

greenLED

Flashaholic

:poke:

[This thread is worthless without pics of the test subject] ;)

Those little lights are actually quite tough.

Flakey

Enlightened

once i got my surefire lights i felt bad whenever i looked at my maglights as well! SCblur, do you have any hotwire magmods? once you see your maglight be brighter than any surefire incandescent light, you will love it again, trust me!

AlexSchira

Enlightened

I still like the MMs simply for form factor and ease of use, despite the lack of performance out of the package. Even with a Surefire, I carry a Nite Ize MM on me because with a pair of good NIMPH cells in it, it's a nice little general purpose flood light that I don't feel guilty loaning to some one. Comes in all the colors, and soon NI will finally get out those colored LEDs and I'll have a nice little row of purpose-color LEDs that have the durability that makes Mags so great for mods.
Mag Modders don't buy Maglites, they buy Mag casings that haven't been gutted yet. It beats plastic, I give it that much. Whatever they did with the incan MM, I want to see what happens with their 3-Watt Luxeon.

CLHC

Flashaholic

Tough Mini suckers aren't they? Then again, Your Maglite May Vary. Nice "torture" stress-test there SCblur!

ginaz

Enlightened

i have found minimags to be very durable as well. that small bulb has a very small filament in it. with such a short length between the leads the angular momentum is very small and it takes much higher levels of force to cause bulb failure in the minimags as opposed to their larger siblings. a comparison between mini and 2d or other is called for!

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast

With a SMJLED, the same AAA MiniMag I carried for ten years is one of my favorite pocket carry lights again. Dousing with Progold does wonders for the usually iffy switch, and the AAA formfactor is perfect for tucking behind an ear. Combine 2D brightness with 7+ hour runtime (35+ hours for the AA) and a cheap host cost, and you start to wonder why people are so down on the venerable MiniMag.

An alternative to carrying a multilevel light is carrying one for throw and one for close-up work.

LiteBrite

Newly Enlightened

Flakey,Where can I get more info on hotwire magmods? :huh2:

Specifically:

How bright?
How much?
Where do I buy?

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very interesting....I would not imagined that it could have took that type of abuse. I have one in Camo that has been customized and even has a two way switch mod and I really do like this light and will always keep it, especially now.

kubolaw

Enlightened

SCblur said:
wow, I guess I had a fluke "Bionic MiniMag" in this case. Maybe this is an example of inconsistent manufacturing.

There must really be a wide range of manufacturing tolerances, since my experience mirrors yours. After someone here mentioned that a simple drop or bump would blow the lamp in their MiniMag, I decided to test it out, because that hadn't been my experience. So I ended up chucking a lit MiniMag onto a concrete floor lightly at first and then with full force, but aside from some large dings in the body, it survived. The bulb did come loose on one toss, but reseating it allowed the MiniMag to light up again.

Just another data point.

John

tron3

Banned

Great test. So you went from playfully tossing a light in the air to angrily smashing it into the pavement while your neighbors peer in horror behind curtained windows? :laughing:

Now THAT is commitment! How's your batting average? :p :poof: