how much of a size difference is aa vs aaa on keychain?

her34

Newly Enlightened
hi, i'm looking for a flashlight to attach on a keychain that'll be carried in front pocket.

after reading various reviews and postings, i've narrowed it down to peak matterhorn 3led hp & fenix L1p (or maybe upcoming jetbeam)

i'm leaning towards fenix aa. only thing holding me back is the size.

although i know the measurements, i'm not sure how much the size difference will matter without carrying each around for a few days. i'm wondering what people think would be the better choice from their experience.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
In my opinion what matters is not the actual size, but the orientation of the light. I can't stand the Fenix L1P loose in my pockets, but the Surefire A2 (a much bigger light) is very comfortable, because it has a pocket clip and remains upright. With my Arc-AA, which is a comparable size (but the Fenix is bigger), I have put it on a lanyard and hung the lanyard half outside my pocket, and the light inside. This is comfortable and keeps the light in an easily retrievable fashion. I've also had a good experience carrying a light (even a big one, bezel down) in the little coin/watch pocket on the right side of most jeans, although it is not necessarily secure (tie the light to a lanyard and then to a belt loop, or use a carabiner).

Here's a good test -- try carrying a roll of pennies in your pocket for a few days -- the Fenix L1P is roughly that size. If you absolutely can't stand it, and you don't want to use a holster, the 3-LED Matterhorn is a better choice.

And of course, welcome to CPF! Hold tight to your wallet, and buy both. :)

Last edited:

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Carrot makes a good point about the orientation (inside a pocket) of the light for comfort and concealability. I routinely carry a SF E2L in a trou pocket (left front) and use a modified .38 snubby nylon holster to keep it upright. Works like a charm.

Another consideration for keychain carry -- if it's with your car keys -- is weight. I've learned the hard way that a heavy clump of keys, combined with a 2-3 oz. light, can cause accellerated wear/damage to an auto's steering-wheel ignition system. It ain't cheap to fix, either. An Arc or aluminum Peak AAA, with just a few keys, should be okay.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Carrot's suggestion is good, but you'll certainly absolutely hate carrying the weight of a roll of quarters! :green: No AA lights I know of are that heavy.

The diameter difference is somewhere between 0.5" and 0.7". Doesn't seem like much, but for me it's enough that I will tolerate an AAA-based light (ArcAAA) on my keychain, but I won't put an AA-based light (Infinity, ArcAA, etc.) there.

I only mention diameter because length is not much of an issue with the keychain lights I've dealt with so far. For example, my CR2 light is shorter than my ArcAAA, but it's the diameter than excludes it from my keychain. I carry my CR2 in my front pocket, and I do the same with the Arc LS. "Pocket" lights fall horizontally on the bottom of my pockets and don't interfere at all with anything I carry.

As with other things, YMMV. I see a lot of people with CR2 lights on their keychains. Maybe I carry more keys than other people?

Added:
Tokin', what kind of light did you have on your keychain that damaged the ignition? :wow:
:ohgeez:Oh, I see, you were already carrying a heavy clump of keys plus a 2-3oz light. :stupid:

Last edited:

randyo

Enlightened
Might as well split the difference - how about something with an AAA sized body and an AA sized head with better run time than the Peak 3-Led Matterhorn and more light? Also has "accessories" and the ability to "morph" into other creations? We're talkin' Peak Pacific!!!

metalhed

Enlightened
I've noticed that the AAA size lights (I carry an Arc AAA) seem to blend right in with the keys on the ring. The narrow outside diameter of the AAA's seem to match the thickness of a set of keys on a ring better than the AA sizes.

It's amazing but the extra diameter does make a difference.

For me, the disadvantages of a AAA type light (mainly limited brightness) are minor compared to the comfort of knowing I always have a light with me.

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Forum member AWR has the NANO AAA light. rechargeable (via PC/USB port or other means by request), very very small and light and output is unbeatable by ANY AAA keychain light.

Of course, this is all hear-say as mine is yet to be delivered.

Depends on your budget too, if all that matters is size... ;) just use it wisely lol

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
TonkinWarrior said:
Another consideration for keychain carry -- if it's with your car keys -- is weight. I've learned the hard way that a heavy clump of keys, combined with a 2-3 oz. light, can cause accellerated wear/damage to an auto's steering-wheel ignition system. It ain't cheap to fix, either.

You should always carry two sets of keys, one for car, one for home.

Then if car gets stolen with keys in ignition, or you're mugged for car, you still have home keys.

(Homes usually cost more than cars)

And it's a sod having to replace all home locks.

Put larger light on home keys, titchy plastic 99c on car keys.

You'll usually be carrying both if you go out anyway.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
her34,
It is a personal thing concerning size for a keychain light. The only light that has the punch of a L1P and can be configured AAA, AA or CR2 (very small) is the Peak Pacific. Think of it as an AA head on a AAA body. If the length bothers you, switch to the CR2 body to shorten it up considerably.
I have a Fire~Fly 3 on order since length is a consideration. It has a larger diameter than an AAA but is shorter so it makes up for it.
The bonus about the Pacific is this, if you don't like the AAA, AA or CR2 size either put on the AA body for a loooong runtime or the 2xAAA body for a great holster light that is brighter than single cell and has a longer runtime. It uses a luxeon LED and reflector for bright white light with decent throw for it's size. I plan on getting one for a small pocket, holster or lanyard light. Can't make up my mind the final configuration and use for the light so options are always entertaining to have.
By the way, welcome to CPF! :)

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
AA lights in general (e.g. Gerber/CMG Ultra) are too big for keychain use. AAA's are fine. The L1P is even bigger than the Ultra and its lanyard setup isn't appropriate for a keychain, plus the light is just too big (significantly bigger than the Ultra). If you want a Fenix on your keychain, get an L0P.

Even a 1AAA light like an Arc is a little bit large for a keyring, though not unmanageable. I no longer have on one my keyring unless I'm travelling. Most of the time I just have two Photon-style coin lights on the keyring (one with white led, one with red led). Coin lights have very long usable runtime and they dim gradually, so don't be afraid of them pooping out on you suddenly.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would highly recommend you don't use a Fenix L1P on your keys. Lots of things to consider, finish, glass lens, tiny O-ring etc, but mainly size and length.

I'd rather go with an AAA type light, as the others say, try the various Peaks or Arc or Arc Clone or even the Fenix L0P would be fine (It has larger O-ring holes, smaller lens and is very lightweight).

You might get away with a hardy INOVA X1 with lithiums for weight or a Led Lenser David type AA torch, which has a plastic lens,and seems smaller and lighter than the F1P.

Good luck, and don't lose yer keys.......

greenLED

Flashaholic
randyo said:
Might as well split the difference - how about something with an AAA sized body and an AA sized head with better run time than the Peak 3-Led Matterhorn and more light? Also has "accessories" and the ability to "morph" into other creations? We're talkin' Peak Pacific!!!

The AA size head will create enough bulk that you'll feel like you're carrrying a full-length AA light (think SL Keymate, for a similar example). Even if you switch to the shorter CR2 body, you're still stuck with the thicker diameter. It's the diameter, IMO, what makes AA-, CR2-, and 123-based lights more suitable for pocket carry than for keychain.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's more personal preference and no one will be able to answer the question for you until you've tried them yourself or something similar. For me, it's a combination of both length and width, but I may be more tolerant than others or less. I find my KeyMate disappears in my pocket and that my keys (I don't carry that many...2 normal size keys, 1 small mailbox key, and 1 even smaller lock key) take up more space and are more noticable in my pocket. I don't have a prob with the button batts, but if you don't like them, I'd suggest something with a CR2 or AAA batt. I agree with the others that the L1P is far too large for a key ring. About the biggest I'd feel comfortable carrying on my keychain is a Nuwai TM-310H. It's an AAA light, a bit larger than the Arc. Anything bigger than that I think is too bulky personally. YMMV.

ps56k

Enlightened
Re: how much of a size difference is AA vs AAA on keychain?

Years ago, I started with a Mag Solitare that I received from a vendor. I used that for quite awhile. Still have a few in the not-used drawer. It was a little bit long, and did clang a bit hanging down the steering wheel. Later, I ran across the Photon coin lights, and picked up their X-Light... and have been using that LED every since.
http://www.photonlight.com/products/x-light_micro/index.html
It is small, bright, and right there when I need it... looking at a cable behind a rank of equipment, or rummaging around on the floor of the car, etc.
Since it is shorter that most of the A-type cylinder flashlights, it is not bulking in the pocket, nor clanging around the steering wheel.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast

I carried Mag Solitaires on my keychain for at least 7-8 years, and then another year or two with an ARC AAA with my keys. I still carry an ARC AAA, but on a chain around my neck now. I've switched to a Photon sized light on my keys now. I like to keep the bulk of my keys as well as the weight to a minimum. I'd never carry a AA light with my keys, but I'd consider an ARC AAA again, possibly.

-Keith

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

On my keychain I switch back and forth between Photon II in the summer months and ARC AAA in the winter months. In the winter I'm more likely to need a light and can manage the extra bulk because I use my jacket pocket. I've lately been carrying the LOP lately and don't notice a size difference over the ARC AAA. Since I only use it for a few minutes at a time the hour runtime has not a been a problem so far.