Nichia joins CREE in the 100lm/W club

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I'll have to say I'm not a bit surprised. It seems that the best eBay LEDs these days, such as the Jeled 50Ks, are in the 80 lm/W area. It also seems that the Chinese are a bit faster at getting their latest and greatest LEDs into production, so Nichia's release this year of 85 lm/W production LEDs prior to the 100 lm/W ones will keep them in the ballpark. Given this development, we should probably expect 100 lm/W LEDs on eBay around the summer. I certainly look forwards to testing those, and also Nichia's version later in the year.

150 lm/W by 2007 sounds awesome. That's a good 5 years ahead of the roadmap.

Now I wonder when we'll finally start to hit the practical limits of white LED efficiency, and what will those limits be? I'm guessing we'll have a hard time getting much past 200 lm/W although >300 lm/W is certainly theoretically possible.

jtr1962 said:
I'll have to say I'm not a bit surprised. It seems that the best eBay LEDs these days, such as the Jeled 50Ks, are in the 80 lm/W area. It also seems that the Chinese are a bit faster at getting their latest and greatest LEDs into production, so Nichia's release this year of 85 lm/W production LEDs prior to the 100 lm/W ones will keep them in the ballpark. Given this development, we should probably expect 100 lm/W LEDs on eBay around the summer. I certainly look forwards to testing those, and also Nichia's version later in the year.

150 lm/W by 2007 sounds awesome. That's a good 5 years ahead of the roadmap.

Now I wonder when we'll finally start to hit the practical limits of white LED efficiency, and what will those limits be? I'm guessing we'll have a hard time getting much past 200 lm/W although >300 lm/W is certainly theoretically possible.

lm/W is dependent on color of light too.

one radiometric watt of 555nm green is 683 lumens while the same amount of 470nm blue is only about 68.3 lumens. This is just because of the way our eyes respond to different wavelength.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
:huh2: I had no idea that LED's were so inefficient. The way people go on about them you would think they were close to being 100%.

Well it's good to know there's still better technology to come. Just imagine a 600lm/W green LED...

Anyone know what the throretical maximum is for white light? (Yes, I know there's no such thing as 'standard' white)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Unfortunately it seems that the high-powered LEDs are far behind their little brethren ... and to be frank ... using 5mm blue-tinted dim LEDs isn't as appealing as a nice big bad-assed LuxV :nana: ...
bernie

jtr1962

Flashaholic
monkeyboy said:
Anyone know what the throretical maximum is for white light? (Yes, I know there's no such thing as 'standard' white)
As you surmised it depends upon how full the spectrum is. For something like sunlight I think it would only be in the 200 lm/W area. However, you could leave out some of the extremes at either side of the spectrum, get a CRI of about 98, and arrive at an efficiency of about 300 lm/W. If you're willing to tolerate a CRI of about 80 (OK for streetlighting), you can go as high as 400 lm/W. The luminous efficacy of the spectrum of a typical blue plus YAG phosphor white LED is about 330 lm/W, meaning that Nichia's latest accomplishment really only manages to convert about 30% of the input power into light. That's still not bad, and it's about as good as we've been able to produce white light using other technologies. The 150 lm/W which they hope to arrive at next year will put us into uncharted territory. We've never had a white light source offering 150 lm/W efficiency. Some fluorescents and the larger stadium HIDs give in the 110 lm/W area but that's about it. Moreover, what I love about LEDs is that they're scalable. Fluorescents and HIDs scale poorly. A 5W HID only offers about 50 lm/W efficiency. 1 or 2 watt fluorescents are in the 30 to 40 lm/W area at best. Today's LEDs offer something which has literally never existed until now-a sub 1 watt light source offering efficiencies far greater than the 10 to 15 lm/W of incandescents. Better yet, the forthcoming 100 lm/W LEDs will offer HID-like efficiencies yet scale to the milliwatt range. You can't help but love that!

Don't worry, Kiessling. The power LEDs seem to be about a year or 18 months behind the 5mm ones. By 2007 you should have your 3 watt, ~300 lumen Luxeon. Just be patient. It's simply a matter of scaling things up a bit.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I am not in a hurry at all. For me the progress could well be much slower, so that we could enjoy our lights a bit longer before they are obsolete in 2007 ...

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how difficult the new 100lm/W 5mm LEDs will be to get for normal people. As is, I can't find the V-bin CSs anywhere (only U-bin). BTW, what's the efficiency of the U-bin and V-bin CSs?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
jsr said:
BTW, what's the efficiency of the U-bin and V-bin CSs?
I measured the efficiency of some U-bin CS samples at an average of 75 lm/W. Based on the measured mcd though they looked to be right at the upper edge of the U-bin. Typical U-bin would likely be in the 60 to 65 lm/W area. As for V-bin, I haven't obtained any to date but based on the relative intensities I'd say probably 80 lm/W minimum, and 85 lm/W average. The upcoming Nichia 85 lm/W LEDs slated to be released in April will likely mean that V-bins will become more easily obtainable, and maybe there will even be a rare W-bin (assuming that Nichia adds a new bin instead of revising the existing bins). I also really wish Nichia would offer LEDs for sale by bin. I'm sure most people would be willing to pay a small premium to obtain a U-bin as opposed to a T now, and a V-bin as opposed to a U after April.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it's good that I haven't repotted the ArcAAAs that I have swapped out the LEDs for u-bin Nichia CS LEDs.

I guess there will be an ArcAAA-P-P coming out (for $49). :whistle: (but many won't like it because it's still too blue). :)

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that information jtr1962.:thanks:

Kiessling,
I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think new LED technology makes current technology obsolete. It's not like computers where you need the latest model to run new software. Your lights will still be as good when better ones come out. Unless of course you feel you need to have better lights than all your friends.:thinking:

Personally, my friends take the p*** out of me when I start talking about LED efficiency. I will destroy them later.:rant:

Thank god for CPF.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtr1962 said:
I'm sure most people would be willing to pay a small premium to obtain a U-bin as opposed to a T now, and a V-bin as opposed to a U after April.

I'd definite be willing to pay a bit more for a V-bin if I could find one now. Guess I'll just have to wait till those 85- and 100lm/W ones become common (might take a while).

*Retired*
Most folks think the lm/w conversions for the human eye stay constant.

They are not.

They change alot from day to night adjusted eyeball, and the eye response changes.

It also changes in between the two lighting levels, which is called mesotopic, disregard the "amplitude" on the mesotopic, when I was working with the chart, I was just fiddling with adding the photopic and scotopic together.

See the chart below:

humeye2.png

Last edited:

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
It is nice that they made it to 100 l/w, but is it practical? I mean, is this just a experimental prototype that needs to run at extremely low temperatures and such to get the results, or could it be put in a flashlight today and still get the same rating? I'm just wonderig how long until a production LED will get these numbers.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
offroadcmpr said:
It is nice that they made it to 100 l/w, but is it practical? I mean, is this just a experimental prototype that needs to run at extremely low temperatures and such to get the results, or could it be put in a flashlight today and still get the same rating? I'm just wonderig how long until a production LED will get these numbers.
They did say we'll have production 5mm LEDs which deliver 100 lm/W at 20 mA at normal operating temperatures late this year, and 85 lm/W ones in April. And I'm reasonably sure we'll have 100 lm/W LEDs available on eBay by the fall, if not sooner. You can buy ~80 lm/W LEDs right now by ordering the Jeled 50Ks. If you run them at 5 mA you can even get efficiencies in the 100 to 110 lm/W area. None of this is experimental. These LEDs are available now or will be in the stated time frame. What is experimental is that Nichia managed to hit 113 lm/W a month or two ago, presumably at 20 mA. No doubt we'll have production LEDs with that efficiency or better sometime in 2007.

Pinter

Newly Enlightened
It is very nice to have leds with such a high efficiency.
On the other hand we usually aiming our lights forward.
So light that goes e.g. within the central 60 degree (2x30) is usable. Lumens going outside this area are useless.

I analyzed some data from jtr1962 led measurement excel sheet.

Efficiency at 20 mA/Percent of total lumens within 60 degrees/Practical efficiency
[Jeled 50cd] 82,3 lumen/W / 55% / 45 lumen/W
[Nichia CS U] 74 lumen/W / 64% / 48 lumen/W.
[Peak Snow] 79,8 lumen/W / 50% / 39,9 lumen/W

Nichias are not the most efficient leds but are projecting more light forward.

I wonder if there exists a theoretical maximum of forward lumens in 5mm leds?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Pinter said:
Nichias are not the most efficient leds but are projecting more light forward.
That's because of the tapered shape Nichia uses. Note that the light falling outside the 60° cone you mentioned can still be used if you have a small reflector. Also, when using these LEDs as area lights in things like solar garden lights virtually all their light is used, including the light coming out the back.

I wonder if there exists a theoretical maximum of forward lumens in 5mm leds?
There are probably better shapes then even Nichia's tapered one, but they might not be practical to manufacture. You could likely project 90% of the chip's light into a narrow forward cone with the proper optics.

Amonra

Enlightened
now if only Lamina decided to use the jeled, cree or upcoming Nichia chips inside their package we would have a 200 - 240 Lumen 3Watt led in a small package.

I wonder why they are still using inefficient chips.