KT2 turbohead Question

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to know which lamp assemblies will correctly fit in the KT2 turbohead assuming the correct number of cells are used.

Specifically,will other lamp assemblies besides the one that comes with it (N2) be positioned correctly so the beam will be in focus, and can the head handle the heat given off by the higher lumen lamps.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Hi, The MN15 and MN16 for 3 cells
MN60 MN61 N62 for 4 cells.
Now if you mean (round beam) stick with the N2 ( I never had any luck with the N62) the MN lamps seem a little "squished" but thats how they are made and appear like that in all the Turboheads I have; so it is not a focus issue it's how SF wanted them. The lens is Pyrex so heat should not be a problem
I hope that helps.
Topper :)

Size15's

Flashaholic
The "KT" TurboHead is used by the KT1, KT2 & KT4.
It is generic and can be used with a number of Lamp Assemblies if you power it correctly on the right body.

two-SF123A: N1
three-SF123A: N2, MN15, MN16
four-SF123A: MN60, MN61, N62

one-B65: N4
one-B90: N5

The KT2 reflector is the same used by the shock isolated Millennium TurboHead so the beams of the M3T and M4 are the same as when the KT is used on classic bodies.

Lamp Assemblies with "Nx" such as N1, N2, N3, N4, N5 & N62 were originally designed for 3" diameter extended range TurboHeads "Tx" (T1, T2, T3 etc).
The smaller filaments meant the reflector finish could be finer and more intense beams generated.

Lamp Assemblies with "MNxx" such as MN15, MN16, MN20, MN21, MN60, MN61 are designed for the Millennium TurboHead which requires the outer spring contact to be as long as the inner.
The larger (longer, thicker) filament mean that the reflector finish needs to be more coarse. However, more powerful output can be generated.

The MNxx lamps have no issues that I'm aware of in the "KT" TurboHead.

The N2 should not be used in the M3T or WeaponLights for critical applications because it can result in less than 100% contact under abuse/heavy recoil conditions. The same goes of the N62 in the M4 or WeaponLights.

The MNxx are unlikely to produce perfect beams in the "T" Series 3" diameter TurboHeads because the filaments are too wide/thick in some lamp/reflector combinations.

Al

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Topper and Al for the wealth of information you have provided me with. One thing I love about Surefire is the way you can create almost any light you need from parts from other lights. I feel so much more confident that I can order more parts and have them work together. This forum never fails to amaze me. There is always someone here to help. THANKS!!!