Question about AmiLite Neo T3

Truezach

Newly Enlightened
I just got my Neo T3 in the mail today and was wondering if I can use 3.6v rechargable 123's in it. The ones I have are labled: LIR 123A 3.6V 800mAh. Also if you have any suggestions of rechargables that I can use in it and my E1L/E2L, that would be extremely helpful.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks CHC, I did that review and I'll be happy to take questions about it.

Sorry to say I discovered the T3 can't take R123s, I put one at risk to find out. When I first checked current draw with R123 and a digital multimeter, the light drew a staggering 2.12 amps, which is *DANGEROUSLY* over the limit. Lux3s are officially spec'ed at 1 amp, some of us crazy modders (or ex-modders like me :D) enjoyed overdriving ours to 1.5A, but >2A is just way out there and if I didn't let go of the DMM probes I'm pretty sure I would have let the magic smoke out in the next few seconds - NOT a great idea since mine was a loaner unit!

PS: The rechargeables work better in the E1L/E2L. I have conducted timed runtime tests (discharging the battery until it gives out) with those lights and they respond much better to R123s.

Last edited:

Blindspot

Newly Enlightened
The T3 is a great little light. I always carried my Peak Caribbean (also a great light) all the time, until I got the T3.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran an unprotected RCR123 (protected didn't fit) fresh off the charger in the Neo T3 for a few seconds and it lived (at slightly higher brightness), but I had told myself not to do it and I won't do it again. Like stated above, I'm sure the magic smoke will come out and/or life of the LED will be reduced. If 3.0V regulated RCR fits, try them, though I hear they still run higher than 3V fresh off charger.

Careful!

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
.....I too tried an unprotected LIR 123 fresh off the charger in my Neo T3. It was a little brighter than it is with the primary cell. I noticed that the light was warming up within just a couple seconds so I turned chicken and turned it off. I will not try it again. This light is too good to kill. Protected 3.0 rechargeables are too fat to fit in this light. I am running rechargeables in lots of my lights but with present technology this light is going to stay with a primary cell. It does seem that with the way the flashlight/rechargeable cell market and technology are advancing so quickly that someone will probably be selling a protected 3.0 cell that is no larger than the primary cells very soon.
jc