macro pic of Lumileds, LLC Luxeon® die

Hopefully, this will help people in identifying counterfeits. This is a close-up shot of a Lumileds Luxeon® emitter used in a Sears Tool light.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Your picture is the best I have seen of a Genuine Luxeon. I would love to see comparative images of several questionable emitters. If subtle differences can help detect counterfeits, this kind of shot is extremely helpful.

Appearance isn't definitive however. Here is a picture of one from the "Golston 7Watt" that is believed to be a counterfeit:https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1235386&postcount=16

If it is a counterfeit it is a damn good one. At 20X on my stereo microscope, I can't tell the difference between my Golston emitter, and the genuine LuxIII from my diamond Mag upgrade. I have heard that electronic items like this can be reverse engineered, duplicated in every detail, manufactured, and marketed as OEM in under 21 days. It's possible that all these cheap chinese 7W lights are actually genuine unbinned Luxeons, but there are few who would agree. For what it is worth, the Golston emitter is very bright, and very white. It's nice, counterfeit or not.

Bernie

Last edited:
FirstDsent said:
Your picture is the best I have seen of a Genuine Luxeon. I would love to see comparative images of several questionable emitters. If subtle differences can help detect counterfeits, this kind of shot is extremely helpful.

Appearance isn't definitive however. Here is a picture of one from the "Golston 7Watt" that is believed to be a counterfeit:https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1235386&postcount=16

If it is a counterfeit it is a damn good one. At 20X on my stereo microscope, I can't tell the difference between my Golston emitter, and the genuine LuxIII from my diamond Mag upgrade. I have heard that electronic items like this can be reverse engineered, duplicated in every detail, manufactured, and marketed as OEM in under 21 days. It's possible that all these cheap chinese 7W lights are actually genuine unbinned Luxeons, but there are few who would agree. For what it is worth, the Golston emitter is very bright, and very white. It's nice, counterfeit or not.

Bernie

If they actually used Genuine Luxeon LEDs, they would advertise it as Luxeon and present it proudly.

Only bull{censored} companies and unscrupulous distributor/retailers would describe their product as a Luxeon flashlight and not include a statement that notes the trademark owner.

For example, my Streamlight Luxeon says:

Luxeon® LED. Luxeon is trademark of Lumileds Lighting

My Brinkmann headlamp says Luxeon® LED lasts up to 10,000 hours
Luxeon® is a registered trademark of Lumileds Lighting U.S., LLC

Last edited by a moderator:

billw

Enlightened
Handlobraesing said:
If they actually used Genuine Luxeon LEDs, they would advertise it as Luxeon and present it proudly.

If they're running 7W through it, Lumileds may have asked them NOT to.

billw said:
If they're running 7W through it, Lumileds may have asked them NOT to.

This is America. As long as the parts used inside is a genuine product, they have no lawful right to make such request.

Just as Intel can not prevent people from selling overclocked rigs as "Pentium" as long as the machine actually contains a Pentium chip.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
FirstDsent said:

Bernie
I don't need a microscope to see this is fake. The print on the board (Lumileds, + and -) are different from a real Luxeon LED. Busted.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
my question is, why is the yellow light generating part of the emitter square and not round as would be best for an flashlight.

in the beam of my morpho 1, I can clearly see the square emitter in the output on a wall.

regards.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
And that Golston is different from mine. Mine has the ersatz Lumileds logo kind of cast into the aluminum. Or that is what it looks like. It has been seen here on the big Golston 7watt thread. So is a counterfiet of a counterfiet the real thing? Double Negatives?

The phosphorous usually is a different yellow tint on the clones as well.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Erasmus said:
I don't need a microscope to see this is fake. The print on the board (Lumileds, + and -) are different from a real Luxeon LED. Busted.

You would still be wrong. New luxeons use a dot to denote the positive plane on the silicon submount, rather than the + that older luxeons used.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
evan9162 said:
You would still be wrong. New luxeons use a dot to denote the positive plane on the silicon submount, rather than the + that older luxeons used.
Didn't know that, thanks :)

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Erasmus said:
the Genuine LuxeonIII in my Amilite has the positive solder pads on the logo side, just like the Golston picture. Also, many emitters, both genuine, and counterfeit are not mounted on stars.

Bernie

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's one I just took of a TX0H emitter (round slug) that I got from Photonfanatic. (Testing out the new camera :) )

Here's one of a CreeUV emitter as well.

Paul

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
Handlobraesing said:

Only bullshit companies and unscrupulous distributor/retailers would describe their product as a Luxeon flashlight and not include a statement that notes the trademark owner.

For example, my Streamlight Luxeon says:

Luxeon® LED. Luxeon is trademark of Lumileds Lighting

My Brinkmann headlamp says Luxeon® LED lasts up to 10,000 hours
Luxeon® is a registered trademark of Lumileds Lighting U.S., LLC

So ur telling me that my Inova T3 is a fraud b/c it doesn't give props to the mighty luxeon? no where does it say any thing about the luxeon power source inside

hizzo3 said:
So ur telling me that my Inova T3 is a fraud b/c it doesn't give props to the mighty luxeon? no where does it say any thing about the luxeon power source inside

If the RETAILER or package doesn't advertised the product as Luxeon, but the product doesn't contain a genuine Luxeon, then it would be fraud.

If the retailer doesn't use the name Luxeon and it isn't mentioned anywhere, then it isn't.