macro pic of Lumileds, LLC Luxeon® die

Robban

Enlightened
chimo said:
Here's one I just took of a TX0H emitter (round slug) that I got from Photonfanatic. (Testing out the new camera :) )

Here's one of a CreeUV emitter as well.

Paul
It kinda annoys me that you can that close with a Canon PowerShot A620 which is a very affordable compact camera when I can't get anywhere near that close with my Nikon D70 :p I need to get myself a macro lense for it someday.

Thanks for sharing the pics guys, I always like seeing close ups.

*Retired*
Shrunk to fit on cpf, the new Luxeon high output red die, I took about a year ago:
lux3redc.jpg

Full size link:
http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/lux3reda.jpg

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
aay.sized.jpg

Handpicked TX0H on a Chameleon. I can get a closer look at the LED if you guys need... :)

aat.sized.jpg

Edges are deliberately trimmed, so one loses the traditional 'star' shape in order to make it fit within the light's dimensions.

abw.sized.jpg

AlInGaP red Luxeon 1. Not as impressive as Newbie's pic though, I need to try harder.

Last edited:

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
KevinL said:
aay.sized.jpg

Handpicked TX0H on a Chameleon. I can get a closer look at the LED if you guys need... :)

aat.sized.jpg

Edges are deliberately trimmed, so one loses the traditional 'star' shape in order to make it fit within the light's dimensions.

That sure looks like a well built flashlight ;)

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
evan: I have a "1w" white luxeon that died I'm guessing from heat. It became intermitent to get it to light you'd have to flip power on/off to it real quick. Eventually it just quit all together. The die looks like there is an eruption in the phosphur from what I can tell, hard to see, but it looks like a tiny black dot. I tourtured this luxeon on a small Al plate with 900ma to it. It was on the star PCB too :green: From what I can remember I thought the black dot was always there, but may be the result of the abuse/death of it... Seems the camera you are using is better than any microscope I've used to look at it!!

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only the red/orange/amber luxeons are that 3-d shape. The shape helps extract photons from the emission area (the active layer, or junction) more effectively given the nature of the materials those color luxeons are made from. The white/blue/green luxeons are all essentially a 2D plane of emission.

*Retired*
I'd love to see more close-ups.

However, could you photoshop out the workmanship issues on that chamelion, they spoil the whole picture.

Oh, yeah, and BTW, it looks like your negative wire is about ready to fall off, so if you light goes dark, check that first. It is the black one.

KevinL said:
aay.sized.jpg

aat.sized.jpg

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heheh.. ok, I'll leave the wires out of it by going in closer to get a better look at the die and its wires. :)

gl22man

Enlightened
NewBie said:
I'd love to see more close-ups.

However, could you photoshop out the workmanship issues on that chamelion, they spoil the whole picture.

Oh, yeah, and BTW, it looks like your negative wire is about ready to fall off, so if you light goes dark, check that first. It is the black one.

oh boy, not the picture police :thumbsdow . I think the picture looks fine as is taking a quick little jab at the light or the builder of the light is not very friendly now is it??
By the way hows the thor super mod comming along there Newbie :whistle: lol.......

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vbeez: wow, for a light claiming luxeon, they didn't do a good job at makeing it look like one did they? hahah :)

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:
Vbeez: wow, for a light claiming luxeon, they didn't do a good job at makeing it look like one did they? hahah :)

Guess they didn't count on customers looking too closely or comparing with the million and one other Luxeons around here ;)

Vbeez

Enlightened
A lot of people out there can't tell the difference between Luxeon and other brand. Few people taking advantage of it.

Rossitron

Newly Enlightened
Click images for full resolution.

Luxeon III

The above image is from a white luxeon which I popped the dome off of, and scraped off the phosphor from the top of the die. Notice some phosphor still under the die at the edges. Sorry for the dust, but I'm not about to risk breaking the bond wires cleaning it up for you guys :p

-Ross

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe you got the phosphur off in the first place without breaking the bond wires! You breathe too hard and they'll break!!

rscanady

Enlightened
TinderBox (UK) said:
my question is, why is the yellow light generating part of the emitter square and not round as would be best for an flashlight.

in the beam of my morpho 1, I can clearly see the square emitter in the output on a wall.

regards.

My best guess is that since LED's are semiconductor devices and manufactured out of substrates such as germanium or silicon, it has a crystal structore. Similar to why Microprocessor die are square, its the way the crystal structore is. I have seem many crystal structures in different solid state physics classes I have taken but none of them are round, and I dont think ever will be. It wouldnt be a crystal lattice then.

Ryan