Hydrogen Fuel Cell Powered LED Light

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
are you sure maglite diddnt allready patent that? :laughing:
seriously though, thats pretty awesome, I guess we are closer to the future then i thought

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
i know that we arent that worried bout cost....but i bet that thing is prob close to the $1000 mark

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
not too worried about cost......maybe safety?

I'd hate to see the power source "vent".....
It'll make venting from Li-ion cells look like a sneeze....

KABOOM!!!!

:poof: :poof: :poof:

Awesome technology, though.... :thumbsup:

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
A one watt led light that runs 24 hours on a single hydrogen charge. Stop the presses, we got a major breakthrough, NOT.

When they make a fuel cell powered flashlight that emits millions of candle powers from a hid lamp for several days and doubles as a 300 watt generator, then I will be impressed.

randyo

Enlightened
I need to see a cell-phone sized phazer with multi-level output capability (stun and kill) that will vaporize at least 30 Klingons between recharges before I am impressed.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they could make a big, 5W (or multiple 3W) one that still lasted several hours, it'd be great for cops, even if it did cost a couple thousand bucks.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.oksolar.com/n_cart/product_details.asp?ProductID=72490&cat=Government&subcat=Fuel Cell

The great advantage of the Smart Fuel Cell OKA50M (SFC A25) is the extremely high energy output of the system. 50 W continuous power supply Over 70 hours of operating with one cartridge of 5 Liter Full compatibility to existing battery powered and photovoltaic systems Automatic recharge of batteries. and is suitable for various mobile, stationary and portable applications.
The SFC A50M is safe, efficient and clean. It offers a huge weight reduction to lead acid batteries, is more reliable than solar panels and is silent and has lower emissions than generators....
--------------------------------------------------
On Feb 24, 2006, at 3:03 PM, Ted wrote:

> Hi OK,
>
> what are the prices like on the fuel cell machines????
>
> I want the smallest one, probably.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Ted
-----------------------
4,345.00 each

George
[email protected]
www.OkSolar.com
Phone: 347-624-5693
Fax: 347-534-9155
-----------------------
:ohgeez:

tobjectpascal

Banned
I've seen a few hydrogen fueled devices i like the idea if not for 2 things, 1 it's very expensive 2, it's like having a bbq, you need to go and buy the fuel, if only there was a machine to make it, i don't see why not, what happens when you pass a current through a lead acid battery, you get Hydrodgen, don't

believe me? start the car and light a match after taking off a cap :candle:
lol, actually, don't do that, you might get your head blown off :)

but you see what i'm saying though, maybe they don't want people producing their own hydrogen for a reason. as for explosive, not really, there's strict laws on what they can and can't do they even go as far as shooting the canisters, low psi etc etc.

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
tobjectpascal said:
I've seen a few hydrogen fueled devices i like the idea if not for 2 things, 1 it's very expensive 2, it's like having a bbq, you need to go and buy the fuel, if only there was a machine to make it, i don't see why not, what happens when you pass a current through a lead acid battery, you get Hydrodgen, don't

believe me? start the car and light a match after taking off a cap :candle:
lol, actually, don't do that, you might get your head blown off :)

but you see what i'm saying though, maybe they don't want people producing their own hydrogen for a reason. as for explosive, not really, there's strict laws on what they can and can't do they even go as far as shooting the canisters, low psi etc etc.

they dont want us producing our own energy for 2 reasons.

1) no way to regulate things (I.E. fuel cost restricts travel and trade)
2) No middle man or industry to make money.

Prime example
The original diesel engine was designed to run off peanut oil... now what would the oil industry do with all that waste diesel, and how would anyone make money with everyone growing their own gas in the back yard.
Today's exaple is Bio diesel........
the diesel engine is quite amazing, but having the fuel introduced at different parts of the compresion cycle u can fun just about any liquid fuel. You can run up to 60% grease fryer oil(typ. vegi oil) without any probs of heating it to make it thinner on cool days(and tank heater systems and small additives exsist to run 100%). so why bio diesel? The MIDDLE MAN......

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
These fuel cells require a constant supply of air. I wonder if dunking it in water will kill it?

Even so, i think that we should give this new technology a chance. Remember the first nickel cadmium rechargeables? Those were useless compared to todays 2700mah Sanyos.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing like hauling a gallon and quart of fuel around for a flashlight.

TedTheLed said:
Over 70 hours of operating with one cartridge of 5 Liter

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
hehe, yeah. I looked all over for an Email address...but nooope. I'll call unless I read it here first..

Any guesses?

Who wants one? ..just so as I can ask mr. angstrom "how much for 73 units?"

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
The white light produced by the 1 Watt Luxeon LED routs other similar LEDs with 10X the brightness for the same amount of power. Don't worry in case it runs out, the light will not dim and the Angstrom R1 Refueling Station will refuel it within minutes.

Interesting---when did Lumiled come out with something that produces "10X the brightness for the same amount of power"? Don't we need to pump through 350mA instead of the typical 20mA for 5mm to achieve that amount of light?