Looking for a way to put 4 AA in a 2D Maglite

Dacali

Newly Enlightened
I was planning on shoving in a Radio Shack XPR103 (Xenon, 3.6V, 800mA) bulb into a 2D Maglite with a set of 4 AA NiMH batteries. I just wanted a cheap upgraded Maglite since I picked up two for $9.90 at Fry's over the weekend.

Anyone have a low cost suggestion for the batteries? Thanks in advance!

-Dacali

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dacali :Can you perform end-to-end solder? If so I recommend you make a 2x2 AA series battery pack. All it will cost you is some solder, shrink wrap tubing and some time.

However, when the project is complete, it's ALL YOU!

Dacali

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions so far!

BIGIRON,
I would rather go with a less expensive solution if possible. I'll look into getting one though. Do you have a recommended place I can buy one?

modamag,
I can solder the batteries, but I was planning on using rechargeable batteries. I would prefer not to have to get a special charger just for the battery pack. Thanks for the suggestion though!

-Dacali

Turbo_E

Enlightened
doesnt modamag make a 4 AA holder too? then put a dummy D cell behind it and you're ready to rock.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have to be a little ingenious.

You need something to hold the batteries in position and aligned. Maybe a couple of plastic tubes glued together, or a piece of wood with a couple of curved grooves milled in it.

Next you need some contacts and a wire so the batteries work in series, and some separate contacts for each end of the system to work like a normal set of 2 batteries.

Makarov

Enlightened
I'm sure that I have seen someone selling 2AA to D adapters, but I've looke trough all the dealers I've bookmarked and haven't found anything :(
Did a quick search Ebay and found these, not the same ones as I've seen before, and the shipping is huge...