Surefire 9p LED help

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

First off, I'd like to say.."Great Forums!!"
There is alot of great info out here.

I'm hoping your expertise can help me out...

I currently have a Surefire 9P that I have been experimenting with.
I recently purchased a Surefire KL3 head for it. The battery life is awesome with this setup, but the lumens are lacking.

I'm looking for an LED head/bulb with at least 65 lumens and great battery life. I'd prefer to have a strong distance beam instead of the flood type.
I've been looking at the ' G&P 3W Luxeon bulb ' and the Surefire KL5 head.

Is there anything else you guys could recommend??

Thanks!

Ray

Last edited:

Danintex

Enlightened
The G&P 5 watter is an excellent option, but I can't get over my L5! I installed a 2-stage switch and it is the most versatile light I own.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a G&P 5W that can be used on a Surefire 9P ???

On lighthound.com, I see a 5w but is shows that its for the 6P only.

If there is a 5w, please point me in the right direction. I'd prefer the higher lumens with a longer life bulb.

Ray

Allnew2me

Enlightened
I also have the 9P, my second real flashlight and was wondering about an LED for it. After buying an Inova XO yesterday and playing with it for a while I think I'll keep the 9P as an incandescent. It is tough to carry such a big light and not get all of the 200 possible lumens out of it. If it were reasonable in price I'd get an LED to play with but I bought the 9P for the relatively inexpensive high-intensity it offers. I think of the biggest advantage of the LED is the ability to have a lot of light in a small package. Of course, I'm still new and very much swayed by anything that is fun to play with!

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
bullinchinashop said:
3 lithium batteries will fry that adapter. It's made to work on 6 volts.

Take a look at this link - post #93

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/88571&page=1&pp=100

"Now, I know that Flavio said this was a 6V module only (not 6-9V), but I HAD TO TRY with two RC123 cells (4.2V each!). The good news is that at least for my particular module, the 5W simply goes into direct drive, and of course becomes VERY bright!"

8.4 volts didn't kill it so I may have been wrong about that. Of course I don't know how long he used the light with those batteries in it so try at you own risk...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember the 3W G&P drop in WILL work with the 9P just fine. You can also tighten the LED module down into the reflector and it will produce a tighter beam. Just a matter of getting a good tint.....

MPA90

Newly Enlightened
Excuse my ignorance, but why will the 3w function fine with the 9p and the 5w is questionable? Is it that the 5w has not been fully tested yet?
I'm pretty new to the whole led thing and had the same question for my 9p.
Thanks

MPA90

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the informative link...definately going to mark the site! I did not see where, on the review you posted, they talked of using the 3w with a 9 volt light. Is it somewhere else on the site?

Big Bob

Newly Enlightened
I frequently use the G&P 3 Watt drop-in with my 9P, and actually prefer its beam to that of the Gen 2 KL3 (since I do like at least a little sidespill). My only beef, and it's hardly a big one, is that the drop-in is completely wedged into the body when you unscrew the bezel. It takes a fair amount of wiggling and prying to get that sucker extracted from the 9P's body. I like a tight fit but ......

wquiles

Flashaholic
bullinchinashop said:
Take a look at this link - post #93

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/88571&page=1&pp=100

"Now, I know that Flavio said this was a 6V module only (not 6-9V), but I HAD TO TRY with two RC123 cells (4.2V each!). The good news is that at least for my particular module, the 5W simply goes into direct drive, and of course becomes VERY bright!"

8.4 volts didn't kill it so I may have been wrong about that. Of course I don't know how long he used the light with those batteries in it so try at you own risk...
Yep, that was me. I used it very little with the two LiIon cells, and have not run in that setup again for fear of killing the LED. I certainly would not recommend it ;)

Will

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info guys, I'll be going with the
G&P 3 Watt drop-in .

Anyone have an accurate output time for this bulb
using 3 lithiums??? I'm hoping to get at least 1.5 to 2 hrs
of 70 lumens before it starts to drop.

Thanks!

Ray

PS- While doing research for a new 9P led, I fell in love with ANOTHER light.
I just ordered an INOVA T2. :huh: I got great reviews, anyone here have one??