Surefire 6P

Charlie Brown

Newly Enlightened
Hi there !

I'm a new Surefire 6P owner & want to upgrade to a P61 bulb. However I would like to get some rechargable batteries that would give me 3.7v each.

1. Would this fry the P61 bulb ?

2. Could I uprgrade to the P90 or P91 bulb instead to run with the two 3.70v to give me a bit a bit more wall of light/throw than the P60 bulb ?

3. What kind of run time could I expect with just the two batteries on a P90 or a P91 ?

Many thanks

Charlie

Timson

Enlightened
A pair of 3.7v rechargeable CR123's top off at a full charge voltage of 4.2v each (8.4v)

This will instaflash your P60 / P61 :mad:

You need to use a LA configured for surefire 3 cell aplications P90 / P91

The P91 will draw too much current for little CR123's (Some people are doing it , but you're asking then to handle over a 3C discharge rate - which is not good practice)

P90 will be fine and is good for 105 Lumens - Wont throw much further than your P60 but will give larger spread of brighter light.

Best bet is go for G&P's G90HP - Which is rated at 175 Lumens but with no more current draw than Surefires own P90.
Should be good for 30-40 minutes runtime, depending on your cells.
I find these LA's throw better than the Surefire's but do not put out as big a wall of light. - Very impressive though.

Makes for an awesome little 'Pocket Cannon' :rock:

Here's a link for the LA Click Me

Tim.

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
No sarcasm, I was being completely serious. I have three 6P lights and I'd never heard of the "G&P's G90HP" before. Now I've got a new project brewing!

Timson

Enlightened
Make sure you get the more efficient HP version and don't get fobbed off with the older ordinary ones which draw more current and give less output.

I 'think' the HP version will work with protected RC123's....Depends on the IP circuit on the cells. I'm told the current draw is 850 -900Ma.

Tim.

Timson

Enlightened
ACMarina said:
I wonder if that would melt down a G2..

Wouldn't have thought so.
I'm sure someone on here has tried this out in a G2
You could always keep an eye out for a pyrex lense if you're worried.

Tim.

Delvance

Enlightened
I think the G90 lamp gets it near melting point, i'm pretty sure some members have reported melting it. Easily fixed by getting a UCL from flashlightlens or lighthound (gives much better light transmission and better scratch resistance, only downside is your G2 is now a little less robust, you may shatter the glass but that's pretty hard to do). There were quite a few threads awhile ago on the G90 HP actually...some members reported their HP drew 1.2A (so does mine) whereas someone reported it drew 850~900mA. I don't think we've got it figured out yet...

And +1 on the G90 HP lamp. Excellent output for a little 2 cell light, and the G90 LAs throw very very well! 10,000 lux easy.

If you wanted to sacrifice throw a bit for more output, have a look at the Wolfeyes LAs as well.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome Charlie Brown! :wave:

Way to go on that SureFire 6P and Enjoy!

Timson

Enlightened
CHC said:
Greetings and Welcome Charlie Brown! :wave:

Way to go on that SureFire 6P and Enjoy!

Where are my manners........CPF etiquette...

Welcome to the forum Charlie Brown - and - HANG ONTO YOUR WALLET.

Tim.

nc987

Enlightened
I say go with the surefire rechargeable kit for the 6P, i think its the KR2. Seen a couple of them in action and their owners seem to love it.

igabo

Enlightened
Here's a good place to buy a G90 HP for $7.20

And I wonder how a P61 would work on Surefire's Ni-Cd rechargeable kit for the 6P.

Charlie Brown

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all your advise - very helpful

I live in the UK, so buying some of these products internationally may be a problem, but I have ordered a P61 from lightHound which I will use with two CR123.

I'm going to order a DSD R123 800 recharge kit & use a G90 bulb, have not seen any reference in shops to HP yet though ?

I am going to order Power Up 6P-9P converter & save up for a P91 bulb too (for use with 3 CR123).

Is there anywhere I can buy a G120 lamp for use with 3 R123's ?

Charlie

ofcjim40

Newly Enlightened
"Is there anywhere I can buy a G120 lamp for use with 3 R123's ?"

If I understand correctly, you wouldn't want to do that. There is a good chance you would fry the bulb because when the R123's come off the charger, they are at 4.2 v's. So you would have 12.6 v going thru a 12 v lamp, which I believe equals DOA, but I might be wrong.

Timson

Enlightened
Charlie Brown said:
Is there anywhere I can buy a G120 lamp for use with 3 R123's ?

I'm in the Uk too....

I bought my lamps from Tradedigit ...I think they're in Hong Kong.

The G90 they sent me was indeed the HP version. I bought a G120 too.
The G90 is great but the G120 'instaflashed' on 4 primary litiums....Must have been a weak lamp.
E-Mailed Tradedigit - but they gave me a damn good ignoring :mad:

If these lamps are burning out on 12V...Then 3 CR123's are definately going to kill one with 12.6V, as ofcjim40 stated below....Especially as the Li-Ions hold their voltage better under load than the primary cells.

Maby I was just unlucky - but bear it in mind if you get a G120

Tim.

d123

Newly Enlightened
Timson said:
I'm in the Uk too....

I bought my lamps from Tradedigit ...I think they're in Hong Kong.

Tim.

Tradedigit is in Hong Kong, but from personal experiance are not very reliable.:thumbsdow

I'm currently dealing with Paypal with regards Tradedigit, ordered from them March 9, had one email confirming payment and then nothing, no goods delivered, no answers to emails. So far even Paypal haven't had an answer from them.

Topper

Flashaholic*
igabo said:
Here's a good place to buy a G90 HP for $7.20

And I wonder how a P61 would work on Surefire's Ni-Cd rechargeable kit for the 6P.

I need to look around to make sure I got a P61 I can find; I have the B-65 cell and A14's as well as some AN14's to check. I have no doubt they work just unsure of runtime. I really need to start writing stuff down as I forget. I can PM you when I got an answer.
Topper :)

Topper

Flashaholic*
Hi Charlie Brown, Forgive my last post please, I did not wish to Hi-jack your thread so I offered to send a PM to igabo. If that is a option you might consider by all means I have no problem posting the results using the A14 and B-65 cell sold by SF. Welcome to CPF I am sorry if I appeared rude.
Topper :ohgeez:

Timson

Enlightened
d123 said:
Tradedigit is in Hong Kong, but from personal experiance are not very reliable.:thumbsdow

Yeah...When you look at their feedback scores - You see the odd person complaining about non delivered / incorrect items.

This did bother me, but I figured I'd risk giving them a try at the price - and to be fair - they have delivered my goods correctly and without too much delay so far.

You are right though.....They do not answer e-mails
They didn't even tell me to 'take a running jump' in response to my complaint about my instaflashing G120 - which is poor service.

Retail lottery! :scowl:

Tim.