Nite-ize 3 LED minimag vs. Super MJLED from Lambda

igabo

Enlightened
I was considering one of these to go with my old minimag; but don't know which one to choose. My main concerns are regulation along with ability to run off of NiMH's, and throw, as a second priority.

What would you guys pick with these things in mind?

luigi

Enlightened
I've tried both, both were a dissapointment.
I recommend a sandwich from the shop or the terralux TLE5 upgrade, the TLE is a lot lot brigter than the niteize or the Smjled but of course it is more expensive.
If you have to choose between the Smjled or the Nite-Ize I would choose the nite-ize, just an opinion.

Luigi

thezman

Enlightened
The SMJLED will not run off of NiMH batteries, it is extremely dim.
Alkalines or lithiums are required for the SMJLED.

The Nite-ize is more of a flood and the SMJLED out throws it.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Either of these are for when you need a little bit of light for a long time. The sandwich or TLE-5 will provide more light and less runtime.

igabo

Enlightened
Nite-Ize it is then.. Will consider a TLE-5 in the future, but my Q3 suits fine for now. Just looking for a good runtime light.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
thezman said:
The SMJLED will not run off of NiMH batteries, it is extremely dim.
Alkalines or lithiums are required for the SMJLED.

That's funny, my SMJLEDs PR2's run off two nimh's (as per spec) no problem, give me a RT of 15 hours (AA 2,000mah) with little loss except for for last two hours, and give more output than a 12 led Ghost 2, and only a couple of stops less than L1P...

SMJLED's pretty similar.

Good throw.

4 stops better than Superbright LED's 1v-5v bulb, longer RT too.

Last edited:

igabo

Enlightened
abvidledUK said:
That's funny, my SMJLEDs PR2's run off two nimh's (as per spec) no problem, give me a RT of 15 hours (AA 2,000mah) with little loss except for for last two hours, and give more output than a 12 led Ghost 2, and only a couple of stops less than L1P...

SMJLED's pretty similar.

If what you say is true, then I'd be much more satisfied with the SMJLED, but it seems to get mixed reviews.. :ohgeez:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
igabo said:
If what you say is true, then I'd be much more satisfied with the SMJLED, but it seems to get mixed reviews.. :ohgeez:

Buy one, try one !!

igabo

Enlightened
abvidledUK said:

SMJLED's pretty similar.

Good throw.

4 stops better than Superbright LED's 1v-5v bulb, longer RT too.

By PR2, do you mean the PR base bulb? Or are you just talking about the bi-pin minimag version?

Blinding

Newly Enlightened
The SMJLED in the PR2 base has an active circuit in the base that allows it to run with the lower voltages. The "bare" SMJLED is directly driven and so needs a certain voltage to function.

I ordered both the SMJLED and the PR2 base. The PR2 base didn't work in the light I bought it for because that light had reverse polarity on the lamp socket. I soldered the SMJLED into a PR2 base socket and that worked for me. But I use lithium AA batteries in that particular light anyway.

I put the PR2 base bulb in a regular 2D flashlight and it works great.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
igabo said:
By PR2, do you mean the PR base bulb? Or are you just talking about the bi-pin minimag version?

Both gave similar long RT's.

Throw on LED not as good, depends on reflector.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blinding said:
The SMJLED in the PR2 base has an active circuit in the base that allows it to run with the lower voltages. The "bare" SMJLED is directly driven and so needs a certain voltage to function.

Both worked fine for me fed by 2.4v nimh's

Similar 15 hour RT's.

LED only gave slightly measured lower output, which I put down to different reflector.

May of course be better with 3v.

Last edited: