EverLED still the way to go?

Raven

Enlightened
I've got a Mag 6C, that is going to be too large for the new Mag led drop ins, due later this Summer, so I need an alternative. I checked FLR, and the Diamond drop ins are for 1-3 cell lights, so is there anything else out there that can give me quality output and regulation, for a 6C Mag, besides the EverLED?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everled still takes the cake in my book... The InReTec Helios would be sweet if you could find it, though...

What about using dummy cells?? You could do that..

Raven

Enlightened
Ok; I guess I'll just go with the everLED, but I'm not sure whether to get the side emitter or the high dome.

I'd appreciate any opinions on this.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Raven,

The high-dome emitter will give you a good spot/spill beam. The side-emitter will be more of a flood.

The high capacity of C and D cells makes for huge runtime on only three cells. In my opinion, there is no advantage to the additional 3 cells in your 6-cell light. The additional voltage is wasted because it is higher than the LED needs. I recommed that you buy a 3-cell light. They are being blown out at many retailers as they prepare for the arrival of Mag's LED lineup. You can also run your C-cell mag on rechargables. If you want to keep the 6-cell, you can also get 3 C-cell spacers and still use only three cells.

don't forget that Diamond is coming out with a K2 drop-in that will blow away the EverLED. You may want to wait.

Bernie

Raven

Enlightened
Will the K2 drop in blow away the everLED in terms of output or runtime or both?

Oh, and thanks for the advice :D

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given that the SE will be used in a Maglite, the SE will allow you to focus into one heck of a spot, though.. I've got both and use them almost equally..

The Everled (AFAIK) is best on three cells - If you run it on less, it boosts the voltage up to produce light, but it doesn't last as long that way. Anything more than 3 cells and you're just adding runtime. Could be good, could be bad..

The K2 drop-in is only going to work on 3 cells, IIRC. Unless Everled starts using them, in which case I'll be working up a decent credit card bill..

Lucero

Enlightened
FirstDsent said:
Raven,

The high-dome emitter will give you a good spot/spill beam. The side-emitter will be more of a flood.

The high capacity of C and D cells makes for huge runtime on only three cells. In my opinion, there is no advantage to the additional 3 cells in your 6-cell light. The additional voltage is wasted because it is higher than the LED needs. I recommed that you buy a 3-cell light. They are being blown out at many retailers as they prepare for the arrival of Mag's LED lineup. You can also run your C-cell mag on rechargables. If you want to keep the 6-cell, you can also get 3 C-cell spacers and still use only three cells.

don't forget that Diamond is coming out with a K2 drop-in that will blow away the EverLED. You may want to wait.

Bernie

FOUND THIS for $25, claimed at 120lumens from a U bin.

http://www.quality-items-flashlights.com/product_info.php/info/p11616_Luxeon-K2-LED-Bulb-Replacement-Maglite-C-D-White-LED.html

Has anyone tried 'em out?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the K2 Diamond. I've got some on order and will post my impressions when they arrive, but they're only for 2 or 3 cells. Any more than that and you have to use dummy cells..

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened
I'm still very happy with my Mag 2C EverLED powered by 3 CR123A's in an electrolumens Derlin tube.

Lucero

Enlightened
ACMarina said:
That's the K2 Diamond. I've got some on order and will post my impressions when they arrive, but they're only for 2 or 3 cells. Any more than that and you have to use dummy cells..

Looking forward to your review. Thanks.

Daekar

Enlightened
I just got an EverLED in the mail and tried it in both my 2D and 3D mags. No beamshots, but they're both pretty bright - better than before the drop-in, but I think it's going to live in my 2D. For versatility, I'm going to use 2 NiMH Ds for runtime or 6 NiMH AAs (in holders) for power depending on application. I love the fact that it will take varied input! 9v is maximum, though, and you get diminishing returns as you boost the voltage...

Of course, if you really want power out of a mag just buy one of the Malkoff Devices 3D modded mags... $110, and the LED is rated at 240 lumens @ 1000mah, apparently will run for 6 hours at rated output and then diminish for some time. It's definitely on my list of things to get.

Last edited:

frogs3

Enlightened
Dear Daekar,

I just went through the Malkoff Devices website after reading your post, and it really does look like a better device than putting together a lower output emitter like the K2 into an existing Mag. 240 advertised lumens, with runtimes depending on the battery case, for just over $100 (he has some discounts for the 3 D model) sounds very attractive, running a P4 emitter.

It would perfectly fill a "gap" between my "indoor" small lights and the multi-thousand lumen HID's that I have been using for "outdoor" EDC.

Does anyone know from firsthand use about his lights?

Thanks,

HAK

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just went through the Malkoff Devices website after reading your post, and it really does look like a better device than putting together a lower output emitter like the K2 into an existing Mag. 240 advertised lumens, with runtimes depending on the battery case, for just over $100 (he has some discounts for the 3 D model) sounds very attractive, running a P4 emitter.

It would perfectly fill a "gap" between my "indoor" small lights and the multi-thousand lumen HID's that I have been using for "outdoor" EDC.

Does anyone know from firsthand use about his lights?

Thanks,

HAK
I don't own one yet, but there is a ton of information in this thread: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=155653