carrying a fenix l1p through airport security okay?

her34

Newly Enlightened
anyone ever encounter difficulties? or should be no problem

Shirley

Newly Enlightened
It's a small light. Unless you attach an "attack bezel" to a small light, you should have absolutely no problem.

One of the problems I see with crenelated bezels, is the overt weaponizing of lights. Yes, any small metal tube can be used as a weapon, but we want lights to be invisible on the mental radar, so to speak. Anything that tends to make lawmakers view small lights as weapons can only be negative for us, in the long run.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given that most current-spec flashlights have standard crenellated bezels, they should be OK I believe? What if some rogue airport security personnel see this as an opportunity to seize these lights w/some unfounded excuse?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking of the big sharp pointy light bezels. A2/L4 kinda bezel shuldn't be a problem. My thought is this - if it's "designed" to hit somebody with, think twice. E2D for example, although I bet more than a few have wondered through security with no problem.

Shirley

Newly Enlightened
My thoughts exactly. If it just looks like it's part of a standard light, np. If it look deadly, well "perception is reality".

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the risk of being blasted for such a sacrilidge (sp?) to the anodize lobby, I suggest that anyone who needs to go through security with such a light consider filing / sanding it down so it does not appear so threatining - unless they plan to use it as a weapon. I know that some people adore HA-III, but I don't think that bare AL around the edge of the bezel would adversly affect the looks of most lights that much.

I personally don't care about scuffs and scratches even on the body of my lights. It gives them personality. As long as the light puts out the photons - I'm happy.

I too am concerned when going through security these days that someone may take a liking to something I'm carrying and tell me it's restricted.

greenLED

Flashaholic
LED_Thrift said:
At the risk of being blasted for such a sacrilidge (sp?) to the anodize lobby, I suggest that anyone who needs to go through security with such a light consider filing / sanding it down so it does not appear so threatining - unless they plan to use it as a weapon. I know that some people adore HA-III, but I don't think that bare AL around the edge of the bezel would adversly affect the looks of most lights that much.
I'm not sure I understand your comment, LED_Thrift. It's not the HA that looks threatening; the knurling on the body won't hurt anyone (sure, you can file down your fingernails). It's the actual crenalations (ridges, some more pointy than others) on some bezels (such as the e2D, or the SF "porcupine" lights) that may be viewed as security hazard.

I'm guessing people who buy a light with crenalated bezel do so for a reason; filing the crenalations down would defeat the purpose of buying a defense-oriented light. (I'll hold my thought on that for common mortals such as myself).

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
The only thing that worries me when I carry my L1P in a secured area is that it may look to some as if it's a small pepper-spray can in a belt holster.
So far no one has ever mentioned it.
As for crenelated bezels, I was refused entrance to an emergency room for carrying an E2e with the old-style KL-1 head. Keep in mind that this emergency room was in a city where you must go through a metal detector and have any packages or purses physically searched by armed guards...
When I asked the reason why I couldn't keep my flashlight with me, the guard barked something in gorilla-speak so forcefully that I couldn't even understand what he actually said. So I took the light back to the car and then had to walk all the way back through the dark parking lot in a dangerous city without a flashlight. At that time I wasn't carrying a spare on my keychain.

greenLED

Flashaholic
RebelXTNC said:
When I asked the reason why I couldn't keep my flashlight with me, the guard barked something in gorilla-speak so forcefully that I couldn't even understand what he actually said.
Ah, good'ol Southern' hospitality at Duke Hospital, heh? :laughing: I kinda miss the nasal southern' twang, and after living there I have no clue how the entire world can function without "y'all" in their lexicons.

Go pack!! :rock:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello greenLED - to clarify: yes, I meant to file down the crenalations on the bezel and I was thinking how some people would get upset at the idea of intentionally filing away the HA surface and leave bare metal. I think a lot of people buy lights like that because they work so well, and don't really care about the shape of the outer edge of the bezel. You wouldn't have to file it completly flat, just enough to take the bite out of an impact would probably get you past security with it.

nightrider

Enlightened
I carry mine through airport security all the time... in my laptop case. No problems. I don't see how a small flashlight could be a problem or thought of as a weapon. Hmmm, the LIP is bright enough to temporarily blind someone though. :grin2:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED_Thrift, look at the bezel of a light like the L4, and then look at an E2D or a Porkupine. They're both technically grooved up front so you could see the light being on if it was bezel down, but the L4 is pretty mundane looking compaired to the E2D style of bezel..

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I packed this in my carry-on for either a flight to Reno for the Ghost Mtn get-together or one of Milkeyspits New Jersey Photon Fests.
site1015.JPG

I know better than to try it with my L6 Porcy. :green:

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shouldnt be a problem. You cant possibly hurt a person with a flashlight about 2-3 inches long unless you shove it down their throats or something..... and few people would be desperate enough to try that.

rvbert0

Newly Enlightened
I've carried my E2d through the airport a few times, as well as my Inova X5.

I've never been questioned about the E2d regarding its use as an impact tool, but when asked about it once in particular, I told them it was a flashlight and that the grooves were to tell if the light was turned on when it was placed on the table.

I normally drop it in my carryon, and haven't had issues the last 5 times I've flown.

Marcus Aurelius

Newly Enlightened
nightrider said:
I carry mine through airport security all the time... in my laptop case. No problems. I don't see how a small flashlight could be a problem or thought of as a weapon. Hmmm, the LIP is bright enough to temporarily blind someone though. :grin2:

I recently went through aurport security with my Q-III in my backpack. No problems. :grin2:

pbs357

Enlightened
I just got back from a trip, and went through Pittsburgh International, Pennsylvania (PIT) and Burbank, California (BUR). I had my Golston 7w in my backpack and a QIII in my pants, which went in the tray with my keys, phone, etc. PIT paid no attention to either light. I was "selected for 100% screening" at BUR, which included shoes, full body pat down, etc. The Golston, although longer, received no attention. The TSA agent looked at the QIII with crenulated bezel almost confused, until he lit the light. He seemed shocked at how bright it was, and then you guessed it, shined it in his eyes. :laughing: :whistle: He quickly blinked a few times and slid the tray of my stuff towards me, no further questions were asked.

tvodrd said:
I packed this in my carry-on for either a flight to Reno for the Ghost Mtn get-together or one of Milkeyspits New Jersey Photon Fests.
site1015.JPG

I know better than to try it with my L6 Porcy. :green:

Why do you have so many flashlights?