carrying a fenix l1p through airport security okay?

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
I've got an L1P in my computer tote(permanent resident), had no problem going from Hawaii to Guam to Philippines. Had a Triton P1 on my belt from Guam to Philippines, no problem when I took it off the belt and put in the tray during security screening. It's in an L1P holster, did not get a second look. Was hoping someone would check it, was betting even odds that whoever did would have shined it into their eyes :whistle:. Leaving Philippines later tonight to do the trips in reverse back home to Hawaii, will post if there are adverse developments, although I truly hope not.
BTW, had two brown-outs while in the Philippines, on the second one the whole block went out and heard screams from the street outside my hotel. I was on my laptop at the time so I remained lit, but used the Triton for good measure.

aznred

Newly Enlightened
I've travelled with both the Streamlight TL-2, and the Nuwai Q-III. The Q-III looks a little more aggressive because of it's head, but it's also smaller and cuter :).

Never had any problems. I keep them on my belt, dump it in the tray with my wallet and keys. The most that will happen is they'll ask "what is that?" And I'll say, "It's a flashlight-- careful, it's really bright." And then they'll fumble with it and I'll tell them how to turn it on, and then they exclaim,

"Whoa! Hey ____(other TSA worker nearby) check this flashlight out!!"

No problems.

grnamin

Enlightened
Some airport security personnel have a penchant for shining flashlights directly into their eyes and blinding themselves. At least they don't confiscate my lights. :D I traveled with a Surefire KL4 attached to an Aleph 2x123 body and Z57 clickie in my pants pocket and an SC2 spares carrier full of batteries in my carry-on from JFK to Manila, then Manila to SFO and on to EWR without problems. I just get the "wow, that's bright!" exclamation and through security I go. :D

OldGreyGuy

Enlightened
I've just come back from a work trip where I carried in my backpack both a SF L1 and a Fenix L2P on a L1P body. Had no problems in Australia, Singapore, Bangalore, Heathrow, Shannon, Vancouver, Edmonton or LAX airports.

Truth is I did get questioned about my laser pointer (I do presentations in large rooms) a couple of times and in both instances once they saw it was a laser pointer they waved me on. The pointer in question is one of the Novaphones as reviewed at the LedMuseum so it isn't the normal shape and that is the only reason anyone noticed it.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
The above pic was from the trip to the Ghost Mtn get-together. I remember now- the Cub was along just to ****-off a good friend. :green: I have only experienced one case of a flashlight being questioned. I tossed my avatar in the tupperware once and a TSA lady grabbed it and handed it to a TSA guy behind her. He managed to turn it on,(low) smiled, and said "cool." :D

Larry

Penguin

Enlightened
While flying from Oakland to Ontario, a security screen fiddled around with my L1p and said "that's a nice flashlight," I just smiled and nodded.

driven

Newly Enlightened
Handlobraesing said:
Why do you have so many flashlights?

A better question might be "Why do you only have 12 flashlights?":)

I have carried the L1P through security in the states many times with no questions. Also an HDC a few times. Never been flagged for secondary check or anything.

roguesw

Enlightened
i think handlobraesing was being sarcastic lol
but on the topic, i have travelled with all my lights in my sig on me and my laptop case through airports, to stop any hassles, i put all lights into my laptop case and not on me, once pass the screeners, i put them back on me
that way, no problems and if its in the laptop case, they usually assume its part of your work gear

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my HDS questioned when flying into New York. I showed them that it was a flashlight and turned it on (lower setting). They smiled and sent me on my way with no hassle. Don't think you have to worry about the l1p that looks even less threatening;)

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Handlobraesing said:
Why do you have so many flashlights?

When I read that I instantly thought of something Winny said on the european meeting thread:

I'm just curious about these gettogethers, how do you guys solve the logistical problems like accommodation and transport of all your flashlights and mods? Is there something special you are supposed to tell the security people at the airport when they x-ray your bags and found what they think looks like 20 pipe-bombs and some larger ones as well? "Hey, those are just my flashlights. I'm on my way to a flashoholic gettogether." "Right, fat chance! There is no such thing as flashoholic gettogethers. Get down on the ground, face down!"

Had a mouth full of cola just before I read that the first time (and a nose full shortly after)....

Anyway... Last time I flew was Just a short flight from Amsterdam to Berlin. Had a 2D mag-clone with lux drop-in in my carryon, I was only asked why I was carrying a flashlight. I told them that I was suffering from Nyctophobia (fear of the dark), the guy turned it on (needles to say he did so while looking directly into it) and I was on my way again..

tobjectpascal

Banned
Security will only be interested if it could be used to inflict damage or to be used as a weapon, they may be able to stop you carrying it in your hand luggage if you really upset someone at security, however they should not be able to prevent you putting it in your clothes luggage so they can't take it off you at all...