I need a brighter light than X0

JasonC

Newly Enlightened
Hi All, I'm new so hello :)

I've just bought an Inova X0 and it's the first decent quality light I've had and I'm fairy pleased, however looking around this forum has got me wanting something else!
I'm now looking for something along these lines:

• Similiar size to X0
  • A LOT brighter and more floody
  • Water proof or at least heavy rain proof as I live in the UK!
  • Maybe a couple of brightness settings
  • Takes rechargable batteries or is rechargable
  • Price up to about $200
Any help would be appreciated as there are so many I cant decide!

On another note... can I use rechargable Lion batteries in my X0 without any loss of brightness?

Thanks
Jason

easilyled

Flashaholic
Welcome to the forum.

I would recommend a surefire L4 Digital Lumamax - very bright with good flood
and can take 17670 (or Pila 168s) rechargeables.

The L4 can often be bought in the Lights - Sell thread.

OldGrandPaJack is a very good and trusted vendor of these lights.

They tend to retail for about $130=00 on this forum (or £75=00)

For the 17670 rechargeables and chargers, look no further than AW in the Dearler's Forum.

You can also change the standard Z57 tailcap switch for a 2-level switch.

There are a couple of different options but one of the easiest is to buy an Aleph tailcap switch as these are compatible. You can find this in Lighthound.com and it will set you back a further $45=00 or thereabouts.

You then have an excellent, waterproof, very bright, robust light with 2 levels for still quite well under $200=00.

If its slightly larger than you intended, you can always get a one-cell Surefire body from Lighthound.com (like the E1E) and a rechargeable RCR123 from AW and then you have a pocket rocket called a "TW4"

You can then interchange between the one-cell or the 2-cell depending on your needs for run-time versus pocket carry.

Illum

Flashaholic
JasonC said:

I've just bought an Inova X0 and it's the first decent quality light I've had and I'm fairy pleased, however looking around this forum has got me wanting something else!
  • Similiar size to X0
  • Price up to about $200

On another note... can I use rechargable Lion batteries in my X0 without any loss of brightness?

Thanks
Jason

Hello Jason, XO was my first light too, and it is still my EDC [until I can save enough to buy another light]

I asked this question once and the CPF family gave me more responses of "SL PP 4AA Lux" than anything else, stands for Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon.

Does not have multiple settings, brightest Luxeon I've known of
Waterproof [not dive rated]
Runs for a little less than 4 hours regulated on alkaline, If you want to use Rechargeables you can

Tests: a runtime with Energizer 2300mAh NiMH rechargeable cells yield 4h 42 min of dead flat regulation

heres the complete review [5 stars]
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_propolyluxeon.htm

Thank Doug for this [CPF user Quickbeam] this is his site

dragoman

Enlightened
It might not match all the items on your list, but I would still recommend a Surefire A2.

The regulated incandescent (only one available currently) means you get max brightness while the batteries can feed it.

The LEDs give you a very low light option (in multiple colors available) that will still work even after the incandescent cannot be powered by the batteries.

Runtime on a SF123 for the incan has been timed by me personally at 1 hr 15 min or so (varies with batteries, less with BS brand). The regulation is perfect and can be seen in this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/115467

The regulation of the incan is visible here as well as the LEDs in operation.

I cannot recommend a light more highly than the A2. You will not be disappointed.

dragoman

JasonC

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help everyone, I will have a look at the above recomendations and see which suits me best. I'm leaning more towards the SF L4 at the minute as I've seen a few good comments on this aswell.
I will let you know what I choose!

Thanks again.
Jason

Fiddleback

Enlightened
I have an L4 and an L2. I know the L2 isn't known as a floody light, but mine is pretty floody actually. It has two levels, and the low level is great too. It cost me $115 on the BST area. No modding to do, already ready, and just about the same size as my X0. Great light. Now that siad, my EDC is my L4. The extra inch or so shorter is the difference, and even though its only one light level its still my favorite. I keep the L2 in my truck, and have an X0 in there as a backup too.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Must get the A2, I just bought it 1 week ago or so and its the most awesome light, the regulation is great and wil stay bright untill the batteries die. It throws pretty far and has l.e.d for reading, hiking in the dark,etc. This light is so Good get it and you wont be disappointed.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
JasonC said:

• Similiar size to X0
  • Price up to about $200

Thanks
Jason
Sounds like you definitely need a Surefire L4 digital Lumamax. Pure white flood light + 100 lumens of raw power, not the same runtime of the XO though.

BTW, I will never replace/trade my XO, this is by far my favorite outdoor light for hiking/camping. I'm still searching for a light with this incredible flat output discharge for 4+ hours and haven't found any yet. But if you want flood, power, quality and don't want to go bigger, then look no futher and get the L4!

JasonC

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help everyone. I decided to go with the L4 and I received it yesterday, I must say its a great light! It's slightly smaller than my X0 but definately brighter with a good flood which is what I was looking for.

I will still use my X0 though for the longer run time and useful spot beam.
Once I've looked around the forum a while longer I will consider changing the tailcap to a high and low setting version, for now I'm happy with just the max setting.

Thanks again!

JasonC

Newly Enlightened
Tell me about it, I'm already looking at others to buy! I'm thinking about the Inova X5 now for when I don't need quite so much light and more runtime.
This forum is costing me a fortune. :lolsign:

Illum

Flashaholic
JasonC said:
Tell me about it, I'm already looking at others to buy! I'm thinking about the Inova X5 now for when I don't need quite so much light and more runtime.
This forum is costing me a fortune. :lolsign:

I know what you mean...Ive joined for a month and so far spent $120...which is about rough 70% of my savings...on lights...