Small light with flood for walking at night?

KAM

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a small light with lots of flood for walking outside at night

I really like the CR2 Ion, is there anything similar?
Could somebody post a beamshot of CR2 Ion next to KL1 + F04?

Thanks
Kam

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
KAM said:
Looking for a small light with lots of flood for walking outside at night

Triton P1

Something a bit larger, 49/12 led from Quality China

Dae's

randyo

Enlightened
For a really small light, if you're gonna be walking any appreciable distance, run time will be a problem with most really small lights. My little ARC-AAA modded by MillerMods with a 3/4 Watt Luxeon has a beam with lots of flood, and will run well past 1 hour with any type of quality battery. It would be about half the price of a CR2 Ion, with a longer run time - as much as double that of the Ion.
If you want pure flood, choose the regular shaped head. If you want flood with a more defined hot spot, choose the parabolic shaped head.

Macaw

Enlightened
The ORB RAW Ns is a very floody light. On low, you will get several hours from a single cell charge. High is blazing but only good for about fifteen minutes. Great for if you need a quick burst of light while on the path. The Ns on low should be adequate to light up a path in dark woods. They don't get much smaller than the Orb Raw Ns!

Last edited:

wmirag

Enlightened
I have lots of small lights and I use them for night walks.

I like floods for walking since my personal preference is to see where I'm about to step as opposed to where I'm headed.

The CR2 Ion will definitely work ON LOW if you have quality dark and like a low power flood. The specs say it will run for 20 hours at a near constant level. The high is pretty bright in a pinch but it will run only 40 minutes at that level. It's a great light though pretty expensive. The small size means you'll always have it with you (it's my EDC nowadays). But it also means it's a little hard to activate and switch modes - though it is quite easy to drop unless you use the lanyard.

As I have the luxury of choosing from many lights, my night-walk light of choice is the Surefire L2. The low flood is quite bright and lasts for 10 hours they say. Low will even work ok in light-polluted areas. The high is stunningly bright though not much use beyond 50 feet or so. The size is great for use in a gloved hand. The included lanyard is sturdy. And the switch is very flexible (I like twist-constant-low / press-momentary high).

W.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I like the balance of output and runtime I get with the Inova X1 or X5 for walking around at night. the X0 for woodswalking at night where I want less floody light reflecting off vegitation.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on the single cell review I just did I would recommend either the Fenix (more throw less flood) or the Triton P1 (more flood less throw). Both take a common AA battery and I believe both can use NiMH rechargables (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

If it's a light you are going to use for regular evening walks then get something that is either rechargable or can use rechargable cells. Believe me, for daily use the battery cost for alkalines adds up fast (not to mention the cost of CR123 or other lithium types).

Mrd 74

Enlightened
The new Arc-P AAA has a beautiful flood and is bright enough for walking plus 5 hours of good runtime and you said you wanted small. I use mine to see where I'm stepping and my T3 for seeing a distance but the Arc handles everything under twenty feet.

Last edited:

theamazingrando

Newly Enlightened
I'm really surprised to hear so many people say they use a flashlight "to see where they are stepping" or "for more than 40 minutes" when walking in the woods at night. You really use a flashlight while walking in the woods?

I love my lights (and have lots of money tied up in them), and I often have one in my hand while in the forest at night--but I don't use it constantly--that would destroy my night vision. I guess I'm just an inveterate woodsbum--but I'm surprised listening to you guys.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the X5 recommendation. Small, burns for many hours on 2x123s, and is quite floody.

WNG

Enlightened
Maybe not small enough, but the 28-LED chinese-made ~$7 3AAA.
Very bright flood!
In its 3AAA configuration, not a lot of bright runtime, but it's cheap and a rechargeable Li-ion mod may be affordable overall. Runtime greatly improved, and no more buying Alkalines.

Whitelitee

Newly Enlightened
Firefly 3 Small not much bigger then Ion, Floody beam, I think its perfect for walking. Hot spot to see ahead of you and a Bright spill for looking on the ground and around you. It uses rechargeables and has up to 20 brightness settings.:naughty:

CLHC

Flashaholic
There's another alter-native, small[ish] light, but more like Genie remote garage door opener size—the eternaLight. I've acquired one, the Marine version and I sure do like it a lot! I was surprised how Bright and White this 4 SS LED lights up! I've got down the simple "programming" within a couple of minutes. Very light and there is a means to attach a lanyard. It'll light up your pathway quite nicely, and can also be "dimmed" down to one's liking. No funny looking "beam" shape, but nice smooth even ligthing, pretty much the way FlashlightReviews described it.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Fletch

Newly Enlightened
For short walks, I like using a Fenix L1P. Nice and small and a fairly floody beam.

For longer walks I like the Gelb Oval (www.ovallight.com). While this one is certainly not as small as some of the lights mentioned, it is really comfortable to hold and lightweight.

Both lights use AA batteries. Cheap and easy to find...

roguesw

Enlightened
ok, not ready made light but
KL4 + e1e body, small light, fits inside palm, or keyring, bright 5 w luxeon, lots of flood, great runtime, about 20-25 mins on 1 rcr 123
free lumens and 5 watt and surefire,
its hard to beat this combination
cheers

LowWorm

Enlightened
What roguesw said, but add an Aleph two-stage switch to the KL4 head/e1e body, and you've REALLY got the perfect combo. The low (I like the 22 or 30 ohms) will give you quite a few hours, the high about an hour of beautiful flood.

pizzaman

Enlightened
If the size is not too big, the Inova X5 is a superb flood light with great runtime. This is the only light that has me considering selling my SF A2.

If you need something smaller, try the Fenix L1P with a diffuser on the lens (clear contact paper) or if you need more runtime (with less light) try the Inova X1 with a diffuser.

When I need flood, I grab any of my lights with a lens and apply clear contact paper. Instant flood! It isn't permanent and removes easily without leaving a sticky residue. For long term use, I like to apply it on the inside of the lens, if it is for temporary use (or the lens is not removable), I apply the film on the outside of the lens. As long as you are not running a "hot wire" bulb, it is an inexpensive, easy and effective solution to the needs of fellow "floodies".

Good luck, TR

Last edited: