Maglite 3 Watt LED In Stock

cabojoe

Newly Enlightened
Howdy...gonna come out of lurking long enuff to let you know that I was shopping around on Cases4Less and they list the Mag D 3 watt LED as in stock. I'll give them a call around noon and see if they are really available. Thanks for all the great info around here.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems they have only the 2D & 3D. No C/D bulbs. No 4D. No 2AA. No 3AA. Well at least we are making progress. It has only been 5 months :ohgeez:

cabojoe

Newly Enlightened
Black and grey only also. Cases4Less is only 20 minutes from me if they are in stock. I need to replace a very, very old 3D.

BrighTor

Newly Enlightened
I've been exchanging emails with them this morning regarding their pricematching policy. They've been very nice and responsive. I plan to order pending the next response from them. Very nice folks.

cabojoe

Newly Enlightened
Yes their price match is great. I've walked in, bought a new light under the price of the lowest I could find on the internet, and at the same time got a refund in price for a previous light! I thought they might complain, but they were happy to do it.

cabojoe

Newly Enlightened
They had gotten about 40 2D's and 40 3D's, so I picked one up. They said they are selling fast. Just got dark here and I checked it out, it's really not much to talk about. It's like having a slightly brighter 3D in white. Throws just like a regular 3D, and gets a big hole when adjusted to flood. Maybe a little bit of violet in areas around the spot, and two artifacts , one on each side of the spot that look to be caused by the connections to the LED.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
The true test will be when a CPFer puts a new MAG 3D LED up against a Diamond 3W bulb.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think alot of people got their hopes up when these lights were announced. Personally I think the best you can hope for will be performance up to par with the previous incan versions, but at least they'll have longer run times.
For myself I do not see the need for a 4D led light, too bulky for my tastes.
I think the big sellers may be the mini's, depending on performance.

cabojoe said:
They had gotten about 40 2D's and 40 3D's, so I picked one up. They said they are selling fast. Just got dark here and I checked it out, it's really not much to talk about. It's like having a slightly brighter 3D in white. Throws just like a regular 3D, and gets a big hole when adjusted to flood. Maybe a little bit of violet in areas around the spot, and two artifacts , one on each side of the spot that look to be caused by the connections to the LED.

Is it the same Maglite body with a regular bulb socket'd LED?

cabojoe

Newly Enlightened
Handlobraesing said:
Is it the same Maglite body with a regular bulb socket'd LED?
Absolutely. Exact same as the old models. There is even an incandescent bulb in the tailcap as a spare.

Last edited:

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think that it would be difficult to dissipate that much power as heat without good heatsinking.

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oof. Pretty sad report. I wonder if its regulated or direct drive. Maybe they can be "upgraded" to a higher bin emitter. I'd like to see a picture of the inside....

Rommul

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
Wait a minute, I betcha 5 bucks in monopoly money its' just that dang SMJPR LED module that Lamda was selling. Wanna bet?

What are you talking about?

They have already announced that the minis will be 3 watt leds. They plan to make a 3 cell mini as well. A 3 cell config will kill an SMJLED since it would be way out of spec.

I want to be the first on record to say if people don't have anything constructive to say about the topic at hand could they please just keep the maglite bashing to themselves?

Some of us want to hear testimonials from people who actually have product in hand, not axe-grinding.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm don't have an axe to grind. I only buy Maglites' for modding, period. However, after some thinking, I have to admit I spoke too soon. It will be obviously brighter than the SMJLED. I stand corrected, previous statements edited....

cabojoe

Newly Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
Oof. Pretty sad report. I wonder if its regulated or direct drive. Maybe they can be "upgraded" to a higher bin emitter. I'd like to see a picture of the inside....
Tried to get some pics in above post...the only difference is the bulb.